Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project - v2.0 Release (updated 11/28/22)

Dunno if it's off-topic or not, but did anybody notice that brightmaps wouldn't work on sprites that are patched with these fixes?

NightFright said:

Dunno if it's off-topic or not, but did anybody notice that brightmaps wouldn't work on sprites that are patched with these fixes?

The standard GZDoom brightmaps have the "iwad" keyword in their definition, meaning that they will be disabled if the sprite is changed from the IWAD. Try playing something like Hacx 1.1 (the non standalone version), Aliens TC, or Batman Doom to know why it's a good idea.

You can fix that by editing the sprite fix wad to add the needed brightmaps and their definitions, and replacing "iwad" with "thiswad" in their definitions.

I see. The thing is this, I am using these sprite fixes in autoload. It makes sense, but it breaks the brightmaps for those edited sprites.

I also dunno if I can just put the PNGs into a WAD without any kind of manual realignment as it was done for these fixes. Maybe a new option besides iwad and thiswad may be considered to allow sprite overrides, but only from a specific file.

Example:
iwad
thiswad d2spfx16.wad

would allow brightmaps to be applied if sprites are coming from the iwad or a specific pwad (in this case, the sprite fix file d2spfx16.wad), but otherwise they would be ignored.

I guess this is a feature request for GZDoom and doesn't really belong here, but since these fixes are kinda important, it would be great to have an option to use both brightmaps and sprite overrides (without having to merge files) at the same time in specific cases.

NightFright said:

I guess this is a feature request for GZDoom and doesn't really belong here, but since these fixes are kinda important, it would be great to have an option to use both brightmaps and sprite overrides (without having to merge files) at the same time in specific cases.

To elaborate on this brightmaps issue, it would actually require a little more work than simply changing the wad designation in the definition file as several of the graphic lumps included in the sprite fixes WAD have been renamed due to the addition or correction of the rotation frames, i.e. "BOSSA2A8" has been renamed to "BOSSA2C8".

Hence, the brightmaps could not natively support these sprite fixes unless they include a number of extra dummy definitions that otherwise go unused when playing with the vanilla IWAD. The nice thing here, though, is that no new brightmaps have to be created (apart from the missing rotations). The exact same art can be utilized. They just have to be defined for the differently-named graphic lumps.

Death Egg said:

So, I've spotted an off-colored pixel on the radiation suit that this project doesn't seem to have found yet:

http://i.imgur.com/KpwN9dH.png

Thanks for this report! I was wondering how this green pixel could have appeared, but I eventually realized the obvious: since the radiation suit is based on the player sprites, an errant pixel from the original green outfit survived. Placing PLAYA1 over SUITA0, I even managed to find a remarkably close alignment where the suit's green pixel is placed next to an identically colored player sprite pixel, among other matching details. I've made the fix, and it will be included with the 1.7 release.

This is pretty awesome.

Has anyone considered making an unofficial bugfix patch that compiles together all such fixes into one project that can be used as a basis for other patches like the aforementioned brightmaps?

That's what I am more or less trying to do.

@Revenant100:
You don't happen to have a list with all the sprites that were renamed in the process of creating the fix files? It would need to have both the old and the new names to be useful.

I did my own comparisons and came up with this list:

Spoiler

(spritefix file -> IWAD counterpart, if available)

Demon
-----
sargb2d8 -> sargb2b8
sargb3d7 -> sargb3b7
sargc2a8 -> sargc2c8
sargc3a7 -> sargc2c7
sargd2b8 -> sargd2d8
sargd3b7 -> sargd3d7

Imp *
---
trooa2c8 -> trooa2a8
trooa3c7 -> trooa3a7
troob2d8 -> troob2b8
troob3d7 -> troob3b7
trooc2a8 -> trooc2c8
trooc3a7 -> trooc3c7
trood2b8 -> trood2d8
trood3b7 -> trood3d7
trooe2 -> trooe2e8
trooe3 -> trooe3e7
trooe7
trooe8
troof2 -> troof2f8
troof3 -> troof3f7
troof7
troof8
troog2 -> troog2g8
troog3 -> troog3g7
troog7
troog8

Player *
------
playf2 -> playf2f8
playf3 -> playf3f7
playf4 -> playf4f6
playf6
playf7
playf8

Zombieman *
---------
possa2 -> possa2a8
possa3 -> possa3a7
possa7 -> ?
possa8 -> ?
possb2 -> possb2b8
possb3 -> possb3b7
possb7
possb8
possc2 -> possc2c8
possc3 -> possc3c7
possc7
possc8
possd2 -> possd2d8
possd3 -> possd3d7
possd7
possd8
posse2 -> posse2e8
posse3 -> posse3e7
posse7
posse8
possf2 -> possf2f8
possf3 -> possf3f7
possf4 -> possf4f6
possf6
possf7
possf8

Shotgun Guy *
-----------
sposa2 -> sposa2a8
sposa3 -> sposa3a7
sposa7
sposa8
sposb2 -> sposb2b8
sposb3 -> sposb3b7
sposb7
sposb8
sposc2 -> sposc2c8
sposc3 -> sposc3c7
sposc7
sposc8
sposd2 -> sposd2d8
sposd3 -> sposd3d7
sposd7
sposd8
spose2 -> spose2e8
spose3 -> spose3e7
spose7
spose8
sposf2 -> sposf2f8
sposf3 -> sposf3f7
sposf4 -> sposf4f6
sposf6
sposf7
sposf8

Lost Soul *
---------
skula1
skulb1

Arachnotron
-----------
bspia3d7 -> bspia3a7
bspib3e7 -> bspib3b7

Baron of Hell
-------------
bossa2c8 -> bossa2a8
bossa3c7 -> bossa3a7
bossa4c6 -> bossa4a6
bossb2d8 -> bossb2b8
bossb3d7 -> bossb3b7
bossb4d6 -> bossb4b6
bossc2a8 -> bossc2c8
bossc3a7 -> bossc3c7
bossc4a6 -> bossc4c6
bossd2b8 -> bossd2d8
bossd3b7 -> bossd3d7
bossd4b6 -> bossd4d6

Mancubus
--------
fatta2d8 -> fatta2a8
fattb2e8 -> fattb2b8
fattb3e7 -> fattb3b7
fattc2f8 -> fattc2c8
fattc3f7 -> fattc3c7
fattd2a8 -> fattd2d8
fattd3a7 -> fattd3d7
fatte2b8 -> fatte2e8
fatte3b7 -> fatte3e7
fattf2c8 -> fattf2f8
fattf3c7 -> fattf3f7

Spider Mastermind
-----------------
spida3d7 -> spida3a7
spidb3e7 -> spidb3b7
spidc2f8 -> spidc2c8
spidf2c8 -> spidf2f8

Keeping with your formatting, the following is a full list of the graphic lumps that were either renamed or added:

Spoiler

Demon
-----------------
SARGA2C8 -> SARGA2A8
SARGA3C7 -> SARGA3A7
SARGA4C6 -> SARGA4A6
SARGB2D8 -> SARGB2B8
SARGB3D7 -> SARGB3B7
SARGB4D6 -> SARGB4B6
SARGC2A8 -> SARGC2C8
SARGC3A7 -> SARGC3C7
SARGC4A6 -> SARGC4C6
SARGD2B8 -> SARGD2D8
SARGD3B7 -> SARGD3D7
SARGD4B6 -> SARGD4D6

Imp
-----------------
TROOA2C8 -> TROOA2A8
TROOA3C7 -> TROOA3A7
TROOA4C6 -> TROOA4A6
TROOB2D8 -> TROOB2B8
TROOB3D7 -> TROOB3B7
TROOB4D6 -> TROOB4B6
TROOC2A8 -> TROOC2C8
TROOC3A7 -> TROOC3C7
TROOC4A6 -> TROOC4C6
TROOD2B8 -> TROOD2D8
TROOD3B7 -> TROOD3D7
TROOD4B6 -> TROOD4D6
TROOE2 -> TROOE2E8
TROOE3 -> TROOE3E7
TROOE4 -> TROOE4E6
TROOE6 (new)
TROOE7 (new)
TROOE8 (new)
TROOF2 -> TROOF2F8
TROOF3 -> TROOF3F7
TROOF4 -> TROOF4F6
TROOF6 (new)
TROOF7 (new)
TROOF8 (new)
TROOG2 -> TROOG2G8
TROOG3 -> TROOG3G7
TROOG4 -> TROOG4G6
TROOG6 (new)
TROOG7 (new)
TROOG8 (new)

Player
-----------------
PLAYA2 -> PLAYA2A8
PLAYA3 -> PLAYA3A7
PLAYA4 -> PLAYA4A6
PLAYA6 (new)
PLAYA7 (new)
PLAYA8 (new)
PLAYB2 -> PLAYB2B8
PLAYB3 -> PLAYB3B7
PLAYB4 -> PLAYB4B6
PLAYB6 (new)
PLAYB7 (new)
PLAYB8 (new)
PLAYC2 -> PLAYC2C8
PLAYC3 -> PLAYC3C7
PLAYC4 -> PLAYC4C6
PLAYC6 (new)
PLAYC7 (new)
PLAYC8 (new)
PLAYD2 -> PLAYD2D8
PLAYD3 -> PLAYD3D7
PLAYD4 -> PLAYD4D6
PLAYD6 (new)
PLAYD7 (new)
PLAYD8 (new)
PLAYE2 -> PLAYE2E8
PLAYE3 -> PLAYE3E7
PLAYE4 -> PLAYE4E6
PLAYE6 (new)
PLAYE7 (new)
PLAYE8 (new)
PLAYF2 -> PLAYF2F8
PLAYF3 -> PLAYF3F7
PLAYF4 -> PLAYF4F6
PLAYF6 (new)
PLAYF7 (new)
PLAYF8 (new)
PLAYG2 -> PLAYG2G8
PLAYG3 -> PLAYG3G7
PLAYG4 -> PLAYG4G6
PLAYG6 (new)
PLAYG7 (new)
PLAYG8 (new)

Zombieman
-----------------
POSSA2 -> POSSA2A8
POSSA3 -> POSSA3A7
POSSA4 -> POSSA4A6
POSSA6 (new)
POSSA7 (new)
POSSA8 (new)
POSSB2 -> POSSB2B8
POSSB3 -> POSSB3B7
POSSB4 -> POSSB4B6
POSSB6 (new)
POSSB7 (new)
POSSB8 (new)
POSSC2 -> POSSC2C8
POSSC3 -> POSSC3C7
POSSC4 -> POSSC4C6
POSSC6 (new)
POSSC7 (new)
POSSC8 (new)
POSSD2 -> POSSD2D8
POSSD3 -> POSSD3D7
POSSD4 -> POSSD4D6
POSSD6 (new)
POSSD7 (new)
POSSD8 (new)
POSSE2 -> POSSE2E8
POSSE3 -> POSSE3E7
POSSE4 -> POSSE4E6
POSSE6 (new)
POSSE7 (new)
POSSE8 (new)
POSSF2 -> POSSF2F8
POSSF3 -> POSSF3F7
POSSF4 -> POSSF4F6
POSSF6 (new)
POSSF7 (new)
POSSF8 (new)
POSSG2 -> POSSG2G8
POSSG3 -> POSSG3G7
POSSG4 -> POSSG4G6
POSSG6 (new)
POSSG7 (new)
POSSG8 (new)

Shotgun Guy
-----------------
SPOSA2 -> SPOSA2A8
SPOSA3 -> SPOSA3A7
SPOSA4 -> SPOSA4A6
SPOSA6 (new)
SPOSA7 (new)
SPOSA8 (new)
SPOSB2 -> SPOSB2B8
SPOSB3 -> SPOSB3B7
SPOSB4 -> SPOSB4B6
SPOSB6 (new)
SPOSB7 (new)
SPOSB8 (new)
SPOSC2 -> SPOSC2C8
SPOSC3 -> SPOSC3C7
SPOSC4 -> SPOSC4C6
SPOSC6 (new)
SPOSC7 (new)
SPOSC8 (new)
SPOSD2 -> SPOSD2D8
SPOSD3 -> SPOSD3D7
SPOSD4 -> SPOSD4D6
SPOSD6 (new)
SPOSD7 (new)
SPOSD8 (new)
SPOSE2 -> SPOSE2E8
SPOSE3 -> SPOSE3E7
SPOSE4 -> SPOSE4E6
SPOSE6 (new)
SPOSE7 (new)
SPOSE8 (new)
SPOSF2 -> SPOSF2F8
SPOSF3 -> SPOSF3F7
SPOSF4 -> SPOSF4F6
SPOSF6 (new)
SPOSF7 (new)
SPOSF8 (new)
SPOSG2 -> SPOSG2G8
SPOSG3 -> SPOSG3G7
SPOSG4 -> SPOSG4G6
SPOSG6 (new)
SPOSG7 (new)
SPOSG8 (new)

Arachnotron
-----------------
BSPIA2D8 -> BSPIA2A8
BSPIA3D7 -> BSPIA3A7
BSPIA4D6 -> BSPIA4A6
BSPIB2E8 -> BSPIB2B8
BSPIB3E7 -> BSPIB3B7
BSPIB4E6 -> BSPIB4B6
BSPIC2F8 -> BSPIC2C8
BSPIC3F7 -> BSPIC3C7
BSPIC4F6 -> BSPIC4C6
BSPID2A8 -> BSPID2D8
BSPID3A7 -> BSPID3D7
BSPID4A6 -> BSPID4D6
BSPIE2B8 -> BSPIE2E8
BSPIE3B7 -> BSPIE3E7
BSPIE4B6 -> BSPIE4E6
BSPIF2C8 -> BSPIF2F8
BSPIF3C7 -> BSPIF3F7
BSPIF4C6 -> BSPIF4F6

Baron of Hell
-----------------
BOSSA2C8 -> BOSSA2A8
BOSSA3C7 -> BOSSA3A7
BOSSA4C6 -> BOSSA4A6
BOSSB2D8 -> BOSSB2B8
BOSSB3D7 -> BOSSB3B7
BOSSB4D6 -> BOSSB4B6
BOSSC2A8 -> BOSSC2C8
BOSSC3A7 -> BOSSC3C7
BOSSC4A6 -> BOSSC4C6
BOSSD2B8 -> BOSSD2D8
BOSSD3B7 -> BOSSD3D7
BOSSD4B6 -> BOSSD4D6

Mancubus
-----------------
FATTA2D8 -> FATTA2A8
FATTA3D7 -> FATTA3A7
FATTA4D6 -> FATTA4A6
FATTB2E8 -> FATTB2B8
FATTB3E7 -> FATTB3B7
FATTB4E6 -> FATTB4B6
FATTC2F8 -> FATTC2C8
FATTC3F7 -> FATTC3C7
FATTC4F6 -> FATTC4C6
FATTD2A8 -> FATTD2D8
FATTD3A7 -> FATTD3D7
FATTD4A6 -> FATTD4D6
FATTE2B8 -> FATTE2E8
FATTE3B7 -> FATTE3E7
FATTE4B6 -> FATTE4E6
FATTF2C8 -> FATTF2F8
FATTF3C7 -> FATTF3F7
FATTF4C6 -> FATTF4F6

Wolfenstein SS
-----------------
SSWVE1 -> SSWVE0
SSWVE2 (new)
SSWVE3 (new)
SSWVE4 (new)
SSWVE5 (new)
SSWVE6 (new)
SSWVE7 (new)
SSWVE8 (new)
SSWVF1 -> SSWVF0
SSWVF2 (new)
SSWVF3 (new)
SSWVF4 (new)
SSWVF5 (new)
SSWVF6 (new)
SSWVF7 (new)
SSWVF8 (new)
SSWVG1 -> SSWVG0
SSWVG2 (new)
SSWVG3 (new)
SSWVG4 (new)
SSWVG5 (new)
SSWVG6 (new)
SSWVG7 (new)
SSWVG8 (new)
SSWVH1 -> SSWVH0
SSWVH2 (new)
SSWVH3 (new)
SSWVH4 (new)
SSWVH5 (new)
SSWVH6 (new)
SSWVH7 (new)
SSWVH8 (new)

Spider Mastermind
-----------------
SPIDA2D8 -> SPIDA2A8
SPIDA3D7 -> SPIDA3A7
SPIDA4D6 -> SPIDA4A6
SPIDB2E8 -> SPIDB2B8
SPIDB3E7 -> SPIDB3B7
SPIDB4E6 -> SPIDB4B6
SPIDC2F8 -> SPIDC2C8
SPIDC3F7 -> SPIDC3C7
SPIDC4F6 -> SPIDC4C6
SPIDD2A8 -> SPIDD2D8
SPIDD3A7 -> SPIDD3D7
SPIDD4A6 -> SPIDD4D6
SPIDE2B8 -> SPIDE2E8
SPIDE3B7 -> SPIDE3E7
SPIDE4B6 -> SPIDE4E6
SPIDF2C8 -> SPIDF2F8
SPIDF3C7 -> SPIDF3F7
SPIDF4C6 -> SPIDF4F6

Thanks a lot! Luckily, not all of these sprites require brightmaps. ^^

I believe I am done with my adjustments, so I can present a result. Here are brightmaps that work with Revenant100's spritefixes (both Doom and Heretic, but Hexen and Strife are also covered):

Spritefix-compatible brightmaps pack for GZDoom v1.01 (PK3, 1.3 MB)

From the included readme:
- This file completely replaces brightmaps.pk3 that comes with GZDoom. You don't need to load both files at the same time.
- It is assumed you use the spritefixes for Doom and Heretic made by Revenant100 (d1spfx16.wad, d2spfx16.wad, hrspfx10.wad).
- By editing the definitions inside of the PK3 file, you can switch to vanilla sprite support and deactivate brightmaps for textures (which are used by default).
- For additional/fixed texture brightmaps in Final Doom, edit doomdefs.bm according to the comments in the file.
- As long as you use the spritefix definitions, avoid loading these brightmaps with Doom/Heretic addons that come with customized sprites. Textures won't matter.

Note that I didn't do most of these brightmaps, only those that were missing for the Doom spritefixes (everything in brightmaps/doom/spritefix). Proper credits has been given to the authors (Acidhoes, DrVenom8, TheUnbeholden and Virtue) in the included readme.txt file.

No, it's not. Far more brightmaps would be needed for that, sorry. And this thread is about the sprite fixing project, Smooth Doom isn't the topic here.

Smooth DooM adds sprites from the IWAD.
Doom 2 MSFP changes them.

See why it wouldn't be compatible? The new sprites from Smooth Doom would not be fixed, only the original IWAD ones, and... well that's it. (I think?) Still it WOULD work, just not be 100% compatible.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You can use those brightmaps also with Smooth Doom, but you would be missing many brightmaps for those frames that have been added. It would probably look quite stupid if for example glowing eyes of the zombieman flicker like crazy because of missing definitions.

In the meantime, I have updated the brightmaps a bit. Cacodemon and Mancubus still had glowing eyes in their final death frames which looked kinda stupid. In the new version that I uploaded above, the eyes "fade out" in the last three frames until they are completely dark.

This is probably the best "minor fix" mod out there, I never play doom without it. However, there's still something I think should be fixed. The status bar has some extra space to the right of doomguys head, this is a leftover from the 1up counter in the beta. If filled in this makes the face appear perfectly centered.

There's also something I'd like to ask about the edits you made to the hanging bodies, wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the sprite offsets?

uhbooh said:

The status bar has some extra space to the right of doomguys head, this is a leftover from the 1up counter in the beta. If filled in this makes the face appear perfectly centered.

Although it's true that the status bar mug is visually off center, there's no perfect way to non-intrusively address it. As far as its sprite offsets goes, the face's size and the dimensions of the HUD space happen to leave an odd number of pixels surrounding it, so the sprite is already technically as centered as can be in this arrangement. While I could alter the status bar graphic to reduce the HUD face space by a pixel, as you suggest, this has a high likelihood of conflicting with any mods that replace the Doom Guy's mug with something else.

There's also something I'd like to ask about the edits you made to the hanging bodies, wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the sprite offsets?

There are situations where the mapper's placement of decorations such as hanging bodies are very precise and deliberate, and unaccounted for offset adjustments may break the intended visuals. As a reverse floor-bound decoration example, torches are often embedded into the ground to create the illusion of a detached fire. Adjusting the sprite offsets up or down in this case would break the illusion.

While I can't imagine there are too many instances where the placement of hanging body decorations would be this sensitive to vertical offset adjustments, I nonetheless opted to remain as minimally intrusive as possible here and extended the ropes/chains rather than shift the entire sprites upwards. This way, the detached ceiling links are fixed while hanging bodies remain in the exact same positions as before, thus perfectly preserving all existing level visuals as the authors originally created.

I tried playing this with Back to Saturn X (in Crispy Doom, but I dont think this issue is source port dependent) and it didn't seem to work, BTSX just kept using the default sprites. I'm not sure if there's some special case for this mod, I haven't tried using it with too many other mods so far but generally it's worked with others. I'm using this command sequence

crispy-doom -iwad doom2.wad -merge d2spfx16.wad -file btsx_e1.wad -deh btsx_e1.deh d2dehfix.deh

BTSX replaces all of the Doom sprites with new sprites, so loading it before the mod won't work. In addition, it won't match the palette even if you do load it in the right order, so things will look off. BTSX should just incorporate the changes this mod made into it tbh.

ah, I didnt realize the sprites themselves were altered, I assumed the different palette was just a playpal lump or something. I've been using this mod with Brutalist Doom, which also alters the palette but doesn't affect the sprites, so I didn't even think that would be necessary in BTSX

I definitely think there should be a "minor texture fix project" to go alongside this one.

Death Egg said:

BTSX should just incorporate the changes this mod made into it tbh.

This a couple of times.

Including stock sprites in their original state seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

Can't you convert all the sprites to the BTSX pallette with SLADE? Then load it after BTSX and it should work. I think.

Or just play BTSX with Doom Retro, which fixes most weapon sprites (SSG brown pixel, offsets ...) by default.

The lost soul's single pixels of fire in the sprite's fix provided by this WAD (the one in the Lost Soul walking animation) are not present in the other walking frame of it, which makes it look weird, as if the 2nd frame had like a short and small "eruption".

VGA said:

Can't you convert all the sprites to the BTSX pallette with SLADE? Then load it after BTSX and it should work. I think.

A straight palette conversion in SLADE would result in a great deal of color reduction in certain instances, particularly the blues in sprites such as the Cadodemon's, as they have different color hues that don't translate directly between one another. I don't know the exact steps the BTSX team took, but I would presume they first converted the sprites to an intermediate palette that mapped all of the colors to the correct indices and then applied (or rather switched to) their new palette which has the modified color ranges.

Gustavo6046 said:

The lost soul's single pixels of fire in the sprite's fix provided by this WAD (the one in the Lost Soul walking animation) are not present in the other walking frame of it, which makes it look weird, as if the 2nd frame had like a short and small "eruption".

This is the same style used for the fire animation in all other rotation angles of the Lost Soul:

Hello again! It's been about a year since the last version of the Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project, so I'm now going ahead and releasing the 1.7 update which is comprised of the fixes discussed here in the past many months. As before, this isn't a huge change over the previous version, but I again meant for this update to coincide with an idgames archive release. Unfortunately, that plan fell through once more as there's not much I can do if I receive nothing but willful radio silence from the other end.

Many thanks to the numerous individuals who have provided feedback and continue to report issues, with special gratitude to Linguica for documenting and providing a fix for the tall sprites wrapping error.

So without further ado, here's the current download of v1.7:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/sprfix17 (2.52 MB)

The complete changelog including the 1.7 edits:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4X6_GM5D7D_YUtvek8wSmMwN00/view?usp=sharing

Trimmed summary of the new 1.7 changes:

Spoiler

Other Things
- [1.7] Radiation Shielding Suit: Removed green pixel leftover from Player sprite.
- [1.7] Status Bar Face: Removed erroneous brown pixels in God frame.
- [1.7] Burning Barrel: Removed erroneous black pixel in 1 frame.

First Person Weapon Sprites
- [1.7] Shotgun: Fixed tall sprites wrapping error. Thanks to Linguica.

Preview of the tall sprites wrapping fix as captured in Chocolate Doom:

Nice, thanks for the new release!

I expressed interest in a 'Doom/Doom 2 minor texture fixing Project' before, and since it seems no one has the time or motivation to start such a Project, I would be more than happy to start it myself.
Revenant100, you told us Before that you were also working on a Hexen sprite fixing Project. I would also be willing to assist in maintaining such a Project and even extending it to texture fixing, if you ever feel the interest/need for it. :)
By the way, are anyone familiar with Strife's Graphics in regards to what 'bugs' there are? I could help compiling such a thing too.

Cire said:

I expressed interest in a 'Doom/Doom 2 minor texture fixing Project' before, and since it seems no one has the time or motivation to start such a Project, I would be more than happy to start it myself.

I definitely encourage you to go ahead with the idea as I'd love to see something of that ilk myself. My main thought here is that we don't have nearly as many points of references in terms of knowing how the patches and flats were created over the development period, but this was more of a concern years ago before Romero released his graphic resources, and there are nonetheless still a handful of easily identifiable objective errors in the textures.

The other snag you're going to face is IWAD cross compatibility. With the sprite fixes, I luckily didn't run into any issues that necessitated more than separate Doom 1 and Doom 2 PWADs. However, if you're going to fix the errors in the TEXTURE1 lumps (SW1DIRT/SW2DIRT comes to mind), you're likely going to have to at minimum create TNT and Plutonia-compatible PWADs as well. And, unfortunately, pretty much any level that includes its own textures is immediately going to override any TEXTURE1 lump fixes.

Revenant100, you told us Before that you were also working on a Hexen sprite fixing Project. I would also be willing to assist in maintaining such a Project and even extending it to texture fixing, if you ever feel the interest/need for it. :)

Hexen's patches and flats would be venturing further into unknown territories for me, so I would appreciate help there in that respect.

As for the Hexen Sprite Fixing Project as a whole, please don't count it out yet! I have every intention of returning to it at some point, even sooner if I can get this idgames archive matter sorted out, but Bloodshedder and TheGreenHerring appear to be ignoring my last reply. I do hope they will come through eventually.

Perhaps next you could do a Chex Quest sprite fixing project, there's a lot of errors in those sprites and how they're aligned. Would be an undertaking, I've attempted it once or twice for fun.

OK, I've started working on putting together a Doom and Doom 2 Minor Texture Fixing Project with a first small test release uploaded here: http://www.filedropper.com/texfix01
I haven't started work on TNT or Plutonia versions yet. I've also included the fixed RSKY2 even though it's already included in the Sprite Fixing Project.
Feel free to comment! :)
Thanks to:
Noiser for FLAT5_5 and RW18_3
Quaker540 for SKY1 and SKY2
Revenant100 for RSKY2
VGAce for BIGDOOR1

After some promising tests, I'm happy to announce a mildly exciting new development in regard to these sprite fixes: compatibility patches for select PWADs!

In recent years, you may have noticed that several high profile WAD releases included their own customized color palettes such as Back to Saturn X, Sunlust, and most recently the critically acclaimed Ancient Aliens. Due to the nature of the palette system, these PWADs must include virtually the entirety of the original IWAD's graphics and sprites in nearly unmodified form. However, while said modifications are almost entirely, if not fully, invisible to the naked eye, these palette conversions are a technical necessity and cannot be avoided. What's relevant here is that these repacked IWAD graphics end up completely overriding any autoloaded sprite fixes. Trying to circumvent this problem by loading the sprite fixing WADs afterwards will result in visual errors due to the mismatching palettes.

And this is where the recent development comes into play: I've managed a fairly painless process to make sprite fixes compatible with these custom color palettes, hence I can release separate sprite fixing WADs expressly for the megawads and whatnot that warrant them. What I need help with now is identifying the appropriate PWADs to create compatibility patches for. Specifically, I'm looking for releases that incorporate a custom PLAYPAL lump that requires the entire set of original IWAD sprites to be repacked along with them. I've already noted BTSX, Sunlust, and Ancient Aliens so far. While I'm sure more will come in the future, are there any I'm missing at the moment?

And so this post isn't just boring text, the Ancient Aliens-compatible sprite fixes WAD is being released right now! Not only have I integrated the previous missing rotations, art fixes, and so forth, but I've also gone ahead and made AA-specific fixes, namely adjusting the new monster sprites and correcting some of the palette conversion errors present in the current version.

Ancient Aliens compatibility patch (load the sprite fixes after aaliens.wad):
(Outdated, see original post)

Preview images:

BTSX and Sunlust compatibility patches will come soon.

Cire said:

OK, I've started working on putting together a Doom and Doom 2 Minor Texture Fixing Project with a first small test release uploaded here: http://www.filedropper.com/texfix01

Looking like a good start! However, I think you're inevitably going to run into problems with that BIGDOOR1 fix. Changing the dimensions of the texture is almost certainly going to cause noticeable conflicts. Unfortunately, this is where striving for compatibility will constrain the nature of the viable fixes.