Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

What is the best multiplayer port for LAN?

Like the title says.

I don't do port forwarding, so I'm looking for a way for LAN to work with Doom with hopefully the least amount of lag/other b/s.

Thanks in advance!

Assuming both PCs are on the same network, Zandronum (as just one example) should be easy to use. Start up a server on one pc, observe the IP shown in the server console, load the same WADs on the second PC, and type "connect ipadresshere" in the second PCs Zandronum console. This aught to work, but I you need any more help just give a shout.

Edit: When setting up your server, I'm sure there's a little box that says "LAN game", tick that!

Ah shit, that's sweet! I didn't know Zand could do LAN; learn something new every day :)

Thanks Doomkid; I'll definitely be trying this out when I get my laptop back and if I have any more questions I'll shoot you a line. Maybe try to shoot you in another DM then too ^^ (key word is try as I'll undoubtedly be dead before I pull the trigger)

I should always recommend odamex for DM/ctf, it plays really well on LAN. Not coincidence it was also used on QuakeCon in 2013. You can easy start the server from doom explorer.

Capo is right, Odamex is also great to use for LAN deathmatch, its a very similar method to starting A LAN game with Zandronum.

Sweet; I was under the impression that modern ports were built only for the internet, so I really appreciate y'all's help! I've only used Oda a couple times, but I like it so far :)

I've never started a server before, so I'll prolly have to just cross that bridge when I get there, but I can't imagine it being too tough to figure out; worst case with a little extra research online. Hell, now that I got my desktop back up I could use that as a dedicated server, lol, though for Doom I'm not sure that would matter much.

Using Doom Explorer or Doomseeker will make starting your server much more straightforward too, internet is required to query servers (naturally) but not to start ones on LAN. You'll be able to easily select the wads to use, gamemode, view the host PCs ip address and all that good stuff.

Fonze said:

Sweet; I was under the impression that modern ports were built only for the internet, so I really appreciate y'all's help! I've only used Oda a couple times, but I like it so far :)

I've never started a server before, so I'll prolly have to just cross that bridge when I get there, but I can't imagine it being too tough to figure out; worst case with a little extra research online. Hell, now that I got my desktop back up I could use that as a dedicated server, lol, though for Doom I'm not sure that would matter much.

I'm learning something new everyday too. Lol. Did you get it working?

Do I need cables to do lan or will WiFi work?

Can you walk me through this?

Doomkid and others are a much better source of info for this, but for me, I've only done LAN Doom once. We were mostly trying it out to see if it'd work, so we just went with the simplest solution that was already pretty much available. We used PrBoom+, but as I said before that's not supposed to be the best in terms of lag. But it was really easy to set up, you can even test it on one computer alone. Simply start the server program up (I believe it needs -d for deathmatch as a parameter, or defaults to coop) then figure out your internal IP and type -net 192.blah.blah.numbers as a parameter along with the WAD files on your client-side programs. Add a colon (though it may have been a space, I can't remember) and type the port number. If you don't set up the server to run on a specific port, then it will always default to 5030, so your best bet for a LAN game is to go with whatever arbitrary number the server likes. Google PrBoom parameters and PrBoom server parameters and you should see this: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/wily/man6/prboom-plus-game-server.6.html

And

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/wily/man6/prboom-plus.6.html

Use those to help you set it up. But basically the game type on the server and the wad info and server IP on the clients (server IP with the -net parameter to join up) should get you good. Still keep looking into the other ones and hopefully you'll be able to figure 'em out. I may look into them later, but idk when I'll do another LAN game.