Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goosepants

Favourite Classic Doom?

Mine has to be Doom because of the level design, I like it better then 2 but I still have to go through final doom again. How hard is Final Doom on UV? I've done every other classic Doom(Master levels, NRFTL) on UV but I heard Final Doom is tough.

Goosepants said:

How hard is Final Doom on UV?

Plutonia can be a pain in the ass because the mappers love to abuse the use of Revenants and (ugh) Arch-viles.
TNT is alright.

if you can hang with No Rest For the Living most of Plutonia and TNT should be doable!

doom2.wad is my fave classic thing

Plutonia really isn't that bad, difficulty wise. It's definitely got the smartest and most exacting monster placement out of the IWADs, but compare it to most "modern" PWADs and it'll seem like a pleasant walk in the park in comparison. Sure, there are some nasty situations, and some heavy revenant/vile usage, but a lot of sets do, and a lot of sets do it in a much harsher manner.

TNT is more laid-back for the most part, though the difficult maps (I'm looking at you, Stronghold) tend to rely more on hitscan attrition as opposed to Plutonia's preference for larger and meatier projectile-based monsters (and some chaingunners).

Out of the 4 Doom IWADs, my favorite is the first episode of Doom 2 and the first episode of Doom 1. Admittedly, the reasons may be heavily influenced by nostalgia. However, their respective aesthetical and level design styles are what I tend to enjoy and seek for in PWADs as well. My gameplay-related preferences are more influenced by other, usually modern wads, though.

Doom 1 episode 1 for me are simply the best IWAD maps, both in terms of aesthetics and gameplay. Coming in second would be Plutonia for the atmosphere and thrilling levels, third is Doom 2 as I love this wad but it doesn't stand out as much as the other two. TNT I simply dislike, mainly due to the big blocky linear aesthetics.

My favorite has got to be TNT for the iconic levels, the great music, and the average difficulty level of it.

In terms of difficulty, I'd rate them like this:

Plutonia - for me, this was the toughest of the bunch, but nothing compared to more modern stuff. Really not too bad on UV, but I'd recommend saving a few times on your first play through.

NRFTL - it's got some tough parts, but I found it to be very pleasurable my first (and more) play through and it had some really cool level design concepts.

TNT - has a few tough spots, but only an inch above Doom 2 in terms of difficulty.

Doom 2 - one or two tough maps, the rest are pretty easy-going if you take your time.

Doom 1 - can be slept through, up until E4; then it's about on par with NRFTL.

Still though, if you can do NRFTL you can do any of the iWads. I think NRFTL has some of the most insidious traps of any of the commercial stuff, though Plutonia still takes the cake in terms of difficulty.

One thing though, if you're playing TNT for the first time make sure you get the patch for it's first secret map (assuming modern source ports don't patch that by now?), MAP31, cause the yellow key was kinda muffed by the TNT team there >.<

*smiles* Why, Doom II, of course!

More baddies, one new weapon, and more danger compared to [The Ultimate] Doom [1]... what else could you ask for? It's also the first Doom I've played and most memorable for me.

Doom 2 for the enemies and SSG, Ultimate Doom for the level design.

TNT was just some okay Doom 2 levels, and Plutonia was pretty nice (and pretty hard.)

Plutonia's not that balanced, I last did it on HMP and still found it pretty damn hard, might as well of played on UV like I always did. TNT isn't too bad but it's harder than D2 that's for sure.

D1 is my favorite, best atmosphere and level design as well as music. The use of textures and colors is also superior to D2.

I'd don't really have one, but I'll say Doom 1 or The Ultimate Doom. Mostly because I enjoy playing the levels in all 4 of the episodes compared to playing through Doom 2, TNT, or Plutonia. Especially Plutonia. And Doom 1 is usually my choice when I just want to play casually.

I'd say Ultimate Doom! While I enjoyed them all, I still feel like home when I play Doom 1.

I'd however give the first place to Doom 64 if I could but I don't think I can consider it as a "classic" Doom.

For an actual answer to this thread:

Favourite is definitely Plutonia, for having the most enjoyable gameplay, and the best map design of the IWADs imo. Least favourite is Doom 1, I just don't at all like Doom 1's gameplay. For the most part, it's too straight-forward and easy overall. Also, unpopular opinion time: I think Doom E1 is quite overrated.

Doom/Ultimate Doom for me. While I love the new weapon and enemies introduced in Doom 2, the level design and overall feel of the first game still holds up best for me. Doom 2 however, and even Plutonia, still make me feel sick.

I'm so glad for the source ports of today, I get to experience the new shotgun and enemies in sets of levels that don't make me want to puke. I'm not talking taste so much, I'm talking real queasiness and dizziness which stops me from playing.

But yeah, love the first Doom game to bits, I have the most memories with it.

The others I do quite enjoy too, I've grown to appreciate the Master Levels as a friend of mine loves them, so as I played them more I got to be more fond of them. TNT the same.

Doom2 is my favorite for the same reason AD_79 likes Plutonia, I feel it has lots of memorable locations and provides a fun, fairly non-repetitive campaign to play through. I feel the same way about both Final Doom episodes, for the most part at least. Plutonia is too brown, but I'm a fan of that earthy vibe. Doom1 is excellent as an introductory chapter, so to speak, but man I get like zero challenge from the first 3 episodes these days, where as the other IWADs still manage to throw surprises my way in terms of challenge. They're good maps for beginners, in my opinion. Regardless, each one is totally worth playing and the world wouldn't be complete without each one!