Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchynut44

Homages in Custom WADs

What is everyones stance on homages in custom wads?

Personally I always really enjoy discovering a secret map or area that leads to a room or even an entire map of an original iwad level but has in some way revamped it. For example map 31 of Jenesis where it is map02 of TNT and Plutonia combined and re-skinned, or the Doom 2 secret maps that are a throwback to Wolf 3D.

I generally dislike homages / tributes / ripoffs / unoriginality for the sake of attempted "cool factor", and consider them good only when used in a specific way, as I described in this post.

The more creative the better I feel in regards to doing homages. scifista's homage to map19 in d2ino is a particular favourite of mine. More homages tastefully done are always welcome.

Whispers of Satan has a homage to Cybie.wad. I love it with all my body (including my pee-pee).

Durian was working on one of the best Dwango5map01 homage about 3 years ago.. I wonder if he ever finished it? It was turning out rather beautifully!

Doomkid said:

Durian was working on one of the best Dwango5map01 homage about 3 years ago.. I wonder if he ever finished it? It was turning out rather beautifully!

Oh yes I think I remember that one! That was a beautifully done DWANGO5 MAP01 remake. It was featured in one of the early beta releases of DMR right?

scifista42 said:

I generally dislike homages / tributes / ripoffs / unoriginality for the sake of attempted "cool factor", and consider them good only when used in a specific way, as I described in this post.

I like areas/maps that are reminiscent of original maps' highlights/set-pieces without being a 1:1 replication of them. So a remix that yields familiarity but only in short bursts.

Crunchynut44 said:

What is everyones stance on homages in custom wads?

Personally I always really enjoy discovering a secret map or area that leads to a room or even an entire map of an original iwad level but has in some way revamped it. For example map 31 of Jenesis where it is map02 of TNT and Plutonia combined and re-skinned, or the Doom 2 secret maps that are a throwback to Wolf 3D.

Same. There are quite some lovely references to the first level of Doom 2, like map 31 of Doom 2 reloaded & obviously map 32 of Plutonia.

Doomkid said:

You mean this? Not a D5M1 homage (I never liked that map :P) - just a remake of a DM oriented MAP01 edit that was more or less the first thing I ever did with an editor, not long after DOOM 2 came out. It's similar to D5M1 though in that it connected up the starting area and the garden. I'd started adding a single player campaign, implementing a bunch of rather silly ideas that have occurred to me over the years. But then Smash 4 came out :/