Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dime

Ultimate Doom in 22:41

Ultimate Doom has always been really annoying because of how demos break due to the episodic changes. I've been running this for quite some time and even though it's not technically a demo, it's worth showing off at this point.

Ultimate Doom in 22:41 (RTA)

Enjoy

Wow Dime that was awesome; great watch and fanstastic job! That video is obviously the culmination of a lot of thought and practice and it shows, so bravo!

22:41 is pretty impressive. I didn't watch the entire thing. However, I noticed that the player skipped over the secret E1M9 level and went straight from E1M3 to E1M4.

Yeah he skipped all of the secret levels and used the funny exit in E2M6. But I figured that was all the speedrunning norm.

the_miano said:

22:41 is pretty impressive. I didn't watch the entire thing. However, I noticed that the player skipped over the secret E1M9 level and went straight from E1M3 to E1M4.

Secret levels are optional. Standard.

Fonze said:

Yeah he skipped all of the secret levels and used the funny exit in E2M6. But I figured that was all the speedrunning norm.

rdwpa said:

Secret levels are optional. Standard.

Ah ok I see. Thanks for the input guys.

Cool stuff, Dime. RTA makes sense in particular for (U)Doom and with the evolution of times we'll have to start accepting them in some form anyways. Not in direct competition with standing UV speed records, of course, but I'd rather have a new category that makes sense and draws attention than wade through UV respawns. :)

the_miano: It's a speedrun and skipping the secret maps saves time. The only goal is to reach the end of the game ASAP. If it was a max run, he'd have to visit the secret maps for the sake of completion.

dew said:

the_miano: It's a speedrun and skipping the secret maps saves time. The only goal is to reach the end of the game ASAP. If it was a max run, he'd have to visit the secret maps for the sake of completion.

This is actually my first time posting in the speed running forums, but I think I got the concept of speed running now. Considering that I know Doom E1 pretty well, I might do a speed run of it just for fun.

rdwpa said:

What is "RTA" btw; I know what it refers to but not what the letters stand for.

Real Time Attack, it means a constant timer from game start, to game end, rather than using the in game timer, since you can't have that tally across the whole game. Also, this means the player can save or load in the middle of the run as well.

Congratulations Dime, awesome run!

Cyberdemon531 said:

Real Time Attack, it means a constant timer from game start, to game end, rather than using the in game timer, since you can't have that tally across the whole game. Also, this means the player can save or load in the middle of the run as well.

After watching the video, it seems the timer also takes into account the time spent in intermission screens, is that correct?

EDIT: After reading it seems I'm not being totally clear. What I mean is that intermission screens also count in the total time or are those ignored at the end of the run?