Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jasper Carmack

[FOUND] Doom Sky source files

The city overlay on RSKY2 doesn't happen to be based on the "NY2" picture?
I just happened to see a small resemblance from the thumbnail you posted :D

Icytux said:

The city overlay on RSKY2 doesn't happen to be based on the "NY2" picture?
I just happened to see a small resemblance from the thumbnail you posted :D

I took a look, but it doesn't seem so.

It could be my gut feeling, but the city shot may be be taken from an extremely long distance since the buildings all appear to be viewed from a pretty straight-on angle.

I've got an inkling that the golden-mountain sky -may- be a photo of Yellowstone National Park due to the shape of some of the rocks. Checking into that now.

Blackmantis said:

Found the sky source for SKY3.

http://i.imgur.com/BzBTm9Q.png

Would you please post the original photo (MAJEST4) without the SKY3 overlayed over it, so that I and other people could better assess for myself/themselves how much perceived similarity there is between the photo and the sky?

I hope you find the golden mountain one, we'll finally know the source of that RSKY1 flat placeholder! This is going swell so far fellas.

scifista42 said:

Would you please post the original photo (MAJEST4) without the SKY3 overlayed over it, so that I and other people could better assess for myself/themselves how much perceived similarity there is between the photo and the sky?

Maybe you could simply download the CD yourself using the link provided a few posts above?

Doomkid said:

I hope you find the golden mountain one, we'll finally know the source of that RSKY1 flat placeholder! This is going swell so far fellas.

I found it!

Jaxxoon R said:

I found it!

Are you sure you weren't Sherlock Holmes in another life? This is top notch detective work.

Seriously though, I love how many assets have been revealed. This community leaves no stone left unturned!

Some of the skies are negatives of the original photos, right? Like the orange sky. By the way, nice job!!

scifista42 said:

Certainly! Original picture below.

And comparison GIF. As before, it's only for the sky in the background of the image, rather than the mountains at the front. I'm still hunting the stalagmite sprites used for the mountains.

Sorry for disappearing there - was up late to watch the launch of 3DR's "Bombshell", back again after a crazy long sleep and going to continue at it.

I wonder if perhaps I should rename the thread or create another one which is basically just going to be updates as I go along and find all these texture sources.

I think just continuing to use this thread and renaming it would be a fine solution. I'm keen to see more of this, never fails to amaze me how resourceful they were in producing their art assets.

Doomkid said:

I think just continuing to use this thread and renaming it would be a fine solution. I'm keen to see more of this, never fails to amaze me how resourceful they were in producing their art assets.

A simple thread rename sounds good. The rest of the Mediaclips CDs should be with me by Monday so I can probably get the rest done then. For now I'll scan through what I have and see if anything else was used.

An update:

I've purchased two toy pistols. I can't confirm at this stage, but they -might- be the doom pistol.

From what I know about the doom pistol, it was based off a 1980s/early 1990s "water pistol" modeled after a beretta.

As for my reasoning that it's a beretta;

I have a beautiful Denix non-firing spanish zinc replica of a Beretta which I've carefully compared to the doom one, and minus the editing work done by the ID team to prep it for the game, I would say it's definitely a toy beretta.

The same thing happened to the Tootsietoy Dakota - they may have used it for the shotgun, but the one in-game doesn't entirely or closely resemble the real deal with the edits made to it.

I've picked up a late 1980s Entertech Water Beretta and an early 1990s Edison Giocattoli Beretta. I have a strong inkling that the Edison Giocattoli beretta is the correct one, despite it not being a water gun.

Fingers crossed~

Clonehunter said:

Very cool. I like toy guns, so that could be one worth finding.

Also, IMFDB's page on Doom may find a lot of this information to be rather useful.

I uploaded some files and added them to the article, since some of the articles were incorrect or out of date (ie previously stated that the chainsaw was a Mcculloch 2116. The chainsaw is in fact, a Mcculloch 2.0 Eager Beaver.

Below: Original ID Software photo for comparison.

Found the noise layer for RSKY3

So we have INTERPIC, the fire, noise layer, all we need is the mountains and we can recreate RSKY3 from scratch in (hopefully) much better clarity and high-resolution.

Found another source!

seems like it was messed round with a little but it's definitely the source.
The source file is MAJEST5.TIFF on the CD linked earlier by blackmantis.

Damn, that's a pretty cool custom sky right there. Love the jagged look of the mountain peak, compared to the dog-turd like appearance of the actual E3 sky.

Doomkid said:

Damn, that's a pretty cool custom sky right there. Love the jagged look of the mountain peak, compared to the dog-turd like appearance of the actual E3 sky.

Yeah, it would be fairly easy with all these sources to make some nicer versions.

Captain Ventris said:

Alright, time for someone to make an alternate sky set for DTWiD/D2TWiD from other photos from the same sources!

This is a great idea.