Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thesecondcomingdoom

Help me port forward please

I wan't to play some zandronum with my friends but they cannot join, i have port forwarded ports from range 10666 to 10666, they use TCP and UDP. may anyone tell me why they cant connect?

Firewall is disabled, on router too. UPNP is enabled

Spoiler

I'm using a LinkSys ea6500
The version is on that picture

Do they not see your server at all, or do they see it but can't click connect and/or can't get Zandronum launched, or do they click connect and Zandronum launches and gives them a startup error message?

scifista42 said:

Do they not see your server at all, or do they see it but can't click connect and/or can't get Zandronum launched, or do they click connect and Zandronum launches and gives them a startup error message?

I'm getting them to do this command in console

"connect (my ip):10666" and it's not answering.

And no, i'm not using ipconfig in cmd and giving their ips. I'm using the guide i found on zdoom wiki. ( http://zdoom.org/wiki/Port_forwarding )

I just realized, when i tried to join, i couldn't too, it's just stuck at "connecting to ip:10666"

Does the IP you're giving your friends happen to be something like "192.168.1.1" or something similar? If so, that's your router's IP but not your actual internet IP.

If this is the case, try checking https://www.whatismyip.com/

Is this just a normal Doom/Doom2 server? You may already know this, but just in case, double check that they have the same WADs loaded as you. (It should still be able to connect though, so this probably isn't the issue.)

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to help!

Doomkid said:

Does the IP you're giving your friends happen to be something like "192.168.1.1" or something similar? If so, that's your router's IP but not your actual internet IP.

If this is the case, try checking https://www.whatismyip.com/

Is this just a normal Doom/Doom2 server? You may already know this, but just in case, double check that they have the same WADs loaded as you. (It should still be able to connect though, so this probably isn't the issue.)

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to help!

I did check the whatsmyip.org i gave they that ip, i tried connecting with that ip and it doesn't work :(

It's vanilla doom.

the_miano said:

I've successfully port forwarded once before on ZDaemon. It's a tedious process but it's not too difficult.

Hopefully this site helps you out: http://www.pcworld.com/article/244314/how_to_forward_ports_on_your_router.html

Agh. this is hard. I use a router that's connected to other router (my neighboord is the one who hosts the internet), and The DNS is just for my router, not the other router. Still not working, help?

My friends also don't want to use hamachi.

I'm not an expert, so perhaps this will only cause confusion, but if the neighbor is hosting the internet service, then their router should be the first in line (well I guess you pretty much said that when you said that your router was connected to theirs, but whatever) and therefore I would think that you would have to get them to forward the same port in order for it to work.

Port forwarding is done through the router, but if the signal is cut off before it ever reaches your router then it won't work. Kinda like a series of power switches; the first (his router) is open and cuts off power, so even if your switch is closed (allowing electric flow) there still won't be power at the destination.

Like I said, I'm no expert, so that's kinda just speculation based on what little logical reasoning I do have. Hopefully I'm right and that'll solve your problem; but more-so hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along to confirm/correct what I've just said.

Fonze said:

I'm not an expert, so perhaps this will only cause confusion, but if the neighbor is hosting the internet service, then their router should be the first in line (well I guess you pretty much said that when you said that your router was connected to theirs, but whatever) and therefore I would think that you would have to get them to forward the same port in order for it to work.

Port forwarding is done through the router, but if the signal is cut off before it ever reaches your router then it won't work. Kinda like a series of power switches; the first (his router) is open and cuts off power, so even if your switch is closed (allowing electric flow) there still won't be power at the destination.

Like I said, I'm no expert, so that's kinda just speculation based on what little logical reasoning I do have. Hopefully I'm right and that'll solve your problem; but more-so hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along to confirm/correct what I've just said.

Oh thanks, gonna tell my neighbor to do that.

Put your IPv4 in device ip, you can get that using cmd.exe with the command ipconfig . After that you should be able to start your server .

Make sure to check the Box "Broadcast to Master" too so that you server will be advertised on the Master server (Shown in serverlist) if you want people to see your server in the list.

You can also set a password and give it to your friend so that you can play together alone .

If you're not sure about what to do, i recommand you to use an Automated server hosting service like best-ever.org]Best-ever (Canada) , British Steel (UK) or Painkiller (America) .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Put your IPv4 in device ip, you can get that using cmd.exe with the command ipconfig . After that you should be able to start your server .

Make sure to check the Box "Broadcast to Master" too so that you server will be advertised on the Master server (Shown in serverlist) if you want people to see your server in the list.

You can also set a password and give it to your friend so that you can play together alone .

If you're not sure about what to do, i recommand you to use an Automated server hosting service like best-ever.org]Best-ever (Canada) , British Steel (UK) or Painkiller (America) .

I'm not gonna use hosting services, i'm not broadcasting to master server though, my server is personal. Anyways, thanks! It's working finally!
Have never seen a community this helpful.

Glad to hear it, and yeah Fonze what you explained breaks it down well enough.

I had an ISP many years ago that blocked a very large number of ports and it was very difficult to get them to give me 5029 so I could host ZDoom or Legacy back in the day.

I thought I was losing my mind when I forwarded the ports and it still wasn't working until I gave them a call.

ReFracture said:

Glad to hear it, and yeah Fonze what you explained breaks it down well enough.

I had an ISP many years ago that blocked a very large number of ports and it was very difficult to get them to give me 5029 so I could host ZDoom or Legacy back in the day.

I thought I was losing my mind when I forwarded the ports and it still wasn't working until I gave them a call.

What did you ask them?

everennui said:

What did you ask them?

I asked them if they were blocking ports and they confirmed it, they had a policy on the matter. This was small local ISP. I stopped using them nearly 10 years ago.