Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

ALIENS: The Ultimate Doom (Beta 9.2)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-the-ultimate-doom/downloads/aliens-the-ultimate-doom-beta-92

Here's an update to Aliens: the Ultimate Doom.

Here is a preview of a large map I am working on. Moreover, I have edited 1,291 sprite frames, to change the color of the xenomorph's blood from green to yellow-ish.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-the-ultimate-doom

This video demonstrates the latest editions to the mod. Notably, the spawning layout has been drastically changed to take advantage of the species-faction system within the game. Now randomly groups of different species will spawn in packs; in the xenomorph's case, its hordes. Further, I have improved upon the existing faction system so that enemies will not kill each other off screen at the beginning of the level. I have written it so the marine allies can still spawn as friendly, but not disturb the other monsters, without them seeing the player first.

EDIT: The new sprites have not been added yet. The ones in the video are still the older xenomorph sprites but with the blood recolor.

How in the actual fuck did you make a working movement detector?

VGA said:

How in the actual fuck did you make a working movement detector?

Doomero-21 and Sergeant_Mark_IV, are its creators. Then it was later modified extensively by Doomero again,jdredalert, and endless123.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=45213
its later modification is discussed somewhere in the midst of this thread.

Eventually, I would like to get it to look more authentic to the movie; with only a half-circle. I will create new graphics for it.

Looks cool. Are you going to use lighting to enhance the horror aspect of things? Would be intense to have aliens coming out of the darkness.

Quineotio said:

Looks cool. Are you going to use lighting to enhance the horror aspect of things? Would be intense to have aliens coming out of the darkness.

Yep

Actually, I the level in the video is currently all at the same sector lighting. I usually focus on lighting after I make the geometry.

Also:

After re-coloring those blood sprites; I still feel dissatisfied with the current sprites. That's why I am currently editing the sprites to look as perfect as I can make them.

Edit:

Here's one of the new melee attacks

This video demonstrates the latest editions to the mod. Notably, the spawning layout has been drastically changed to take advantage of the species-faction system within the game. Now randomly groups of different species will spawn in packs; in the xenomorph's case, its hordes. Further, I have improved upon the existing faction system so that enemies will not kill each other off screen at the beginning of the level. I have written it so the marine allies can still spawn as friendly, but not disturb the other monsters, without them seeing the player first.

EDIT: The new sprites have not been added yet. The ones in the video are still the older xenomorph sprites but with the blood recolor.

Dude this looks so sick! I love the textures and the map layout. This mod looks much better than the old Alien vs Predator vs Terminator mod from '94.

the_miano said:

Dude this looks so sick! I love the textures and the map layout. This mod looks much better than the old Alien vs Predator vs Terminator mod from '94.

Thanks man, you guys ain't seen nothing yet. I have still not yet implemented the lion's share of changes I have intended for the next update.

I'll be re-doing all of the xenomorph sprites [except for the queen], and I will increase the gore at least by 3-fold. I will add in even more death animation, and new gib sprites. Further, I will add in more textures, and decorative actors as well.

Before I recorded the video, I also corrected and revised a ton of existing stuff within the code and sprite frames as well.

Fonze said:

This mod kicks ass; keep at it Kontra :)

Hopefully I will be able to release the next beta over this weekend. The last time I release a beta for Aliens:UD was on 11/4/14

Check out this playthrough video of map10 of Doom 2. It perfectly demonstrates the kind of gameplay that has been altered by the battle-spawners. This video shows a massive war between all of the factions. Every map is very chaotic; yet well balanced. "Not bad for a Human" is adequatly difficut now. "Very Tough Hombre" difficulty feels like the previous "not bad for a human" form 8.0.

Sweet! I'll be looking forward to playing the newest beta when you're done with it. That new video was cool, too.

Will there be a game mode where you only encounter Aliens? The presence of non-Xenomorph enemies makes it much less stressful and I do not quite like the idea Marine NPCs stealing my kills in a DooM game.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Will there be a game mode where you only encounter Aliens? The presence of non-Xenomorph enemies makes it much less stressful and I do not quite like the idea Marine NPCs stealing my kills in a DooM game.

The way the maps populate goes as follows:

Each monster is replaced by a random spawer, which drops another random spawner of a particular type. Most of the time, they will drop a xenomorph spawner, which produces 10 xenomorphs; mostly warriors with a few drones and runners. This produces hordes of xenomorphs. Then there's a chance it would be solely a single pratorian, or a predator. Or there could be a Droid spawn which drops 4 of them. Then there's a chance of a marine spawner, which is only of 2 count. Further, there's also a chance of them being clutter or lamp spawners.

All the other items are replaced by clutter and light spawners.

Honestly, I think the current way the game is populating is as fun as it's ever been. It really makes the previous version look pedestrian. But also, I'm not stresing the idea of preventing the game from making a deviation from a traditional doom experience. I want this game to have its own unique experience, within and of itself. Right now, each level feels like an awesome death match with 4 different armies going to war.

The ammo the dead marines and Droid drop help to keep the balance just right.

What version were you running it in to test with that was still working? It's obviously not an optimal solution, but in the very fleeting chance these bugs can't be fixed, you cannot let all this work go to waste - I'm sure sure Graf (or whoever has the final say-so on distribution permissions) would allow you to include an older ZDoom build with the zip if necessary.

Obviously, getting it to work in GZDoom is top priority, but in that minuscule chance that it will only work with older builds, I absolutely had to provide this "just in case" suggestion for you to fall back on in the worst case scenario - all this work simply must be released and enjoyed at some point.

I really hope it does not come to that, I'm sure someone at the ZDoom forums will be able to help with this.. and I hope whoever that awesome person happens to be replies soon.

Good News! I was able to find a work around to the issue.

Apparently on the new version of gzdoom the acid blood was causing pain to the xenomorphs that shed it. Despite having all of the proper flags, I couldn't seem to figure out why they were still getting hurt. I even have the thruspecies flag, and every other possible alternative. But the one thing that worked was giving it a pain.slime state which switched the flag to NOPAIN once they come into contact with the acid blood projectiles.

I'm now going to re-play test the mod a bit to make sure there aren't any other mishaps going on. Hopefully, if everything checks out okay, I will upload it to moddb later this evening.

Mistake on my part, I accidently uploaded the wrong file! lol

It was the old beta. But now I corrected that, and uploaded right file. Sorry for that dumbass move.

EDIT: I'm actually not sure if I did. Whatever the case is, the right file is up now.