Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

I think it'd be cool if Doom⁴ has optional music.

Like, in the settings, you are given a choice of "ambient", "metal", " atmospheric (like PSX)", and maybe "nostalgia" as an unlockable which replaces the new music with the original MIDI soundtrack just for shits and giggles.

Touchdown said:

Let's make three different soundtracks in a desperate attempt to please everyone.

Pretty much this. It'd also be cool if you could choose a whole different campaign in the options, tailored to your specific picky requirements!

Or, you could play the damn game as it is.

Music is already optional. To opt out of listening to said music, navigate to the sound options in the menu and set the music volume to zero.

GoatLord said:

The level of "Just for me" demands being made on the new Doom is embarrassing.

Tell me about it. At this rate, DOOM '16 in its entirety will be a disappointment for everyone.

Music is not what "it could have been" but it's not crap either.

I was in the alpha and I actually quite much liked the Doom theme and it really did fit there nicely.

Touchdown said:

Let's make three different soundtracks in a desperate attempt to please everyone.

I think they should do it the Kojima way and blow through the budget licensing hundreds of songs from the 80s and cutting 90% of them from the final game.

victorboris1 said:

I think they should do it the Kojima way and blow through the budget licensing hundreds of songs from the 80s and cutting 90% of them from the final game.

Is this a thing? Where does the hundreds figure come from? At least they left Maneater in the game.

I wish more games had a kind of "Add your own music function".
Don't get me wrong, I think DOOM '16's soundtrack sounds amazing, at least what we've heard.
But it'd be cool if there was something that let you essentially put together a playlist out of the music on your computer, and then you could skip to each track or pause it during gameplay using a hotkey,and it'd show which track is on in your helmet's HUD.

If you want your own music that badly there are plenty of music players which will run happily in the background and you can get keyboards with media controls which will work while another application is running.

What none of you are understanding is that a videogame is a complete packaged experience, like a movie. The visuals and the audio come together to create whatever atmosphere or effect the designers want, and the music is an integral part of that. Especially in a game like Doom, where they keep talking about the flow and rhythm of combat. You can bet your ass that the music is timed to that same rhythm to help sell the flow. Messing with that might alter the experience enough to ruin the whole setup.

I'm not saying that having custom music in all games is bad. Something like GTA where it's just a radio station makes sense. But in an action game with a tailored soundtrack it's a dumb idea.