Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goosepants

Question about Doom 64 EX

I never played Doom 64 and I don't know why. If I can't find a copy of doom 64 and can't hook up my n64, how is Doom 64 Ex? I want the original experience MEANING the games design. I don't want added in enemies, levels, or anything like that, updated graphics are fine but since I missed Doom 64 I want to make sure I'm playing the "original" one. Thanks!

Even with Doom 64 EX, you need to own a copy of Doom 64 and dump the rom yourself in order to play "legally".

Who even has the rights to Doom 64 these days? Midway has since been absorbed into Warner Brothers, and id is now part of Bethesda. A digital rerelease of the game is sorely needed, and if that legally requires a collaboration between both publishers it seems highly unlikely given that the two are direct competitors.

i can tell you for sure Doom64ex its faithfull to doom64, lighting system, enemies, weapons, levels. so yea pretty much you will get the original experience of doom64, even if you want to expand that experience, there some user made levels using doom64ex, i remember kaiser did reverse engineering to the game to port doom64 to PC.

GeckoYamori said:

Who even has the rights to Doom 64 these days? Midway has since been absorbed into Warner Brothers, and id is now part of Bethesda. A digital rerelease of the game is sorely needed, and if that legally requires a collaboration between both publishers it seems highly unlikely given that the two are direct competitors.

Yeah, I suggested as much on Turok's Steam forum. :(

EX is way, way closer to the original source material (about 95% I think) than the Absolution TC (which was 75% or so) was so it's the best choice for playing on PC. Although I'd still recommend trying out the latter if you want extra levels.

GeckoYamori said:

Midway wasn't really absorbed. It died and AFAIK only the Mortal Kombat team and a few others went to go form Netherrealm. I imagine that since Midway is gone the rights belong to ID.

There have been several attempts at a Doom 64 port for PC; I think there was even a ZDoom 64 project at one point, but it has long since been abandoned. Absolution was a decent attempt, but being built from scratch, it is slightly inaccurate, as not every visual effect could be replicated perfectly. However, it did add several new maps which I felt were of very decent quality.

Doom 64 EX is easily the best attempt, since it is an almost direct translation of the original game. You get lots of perks, too, like hi-res modes, the ability to aim and jump, and even the option to turn filtering off so you can have big fat pixels, which I personally think makes the game look a lot cleaner. It also has a convenient launcher so you can start on any level at any difficulty. In all honesty, the only issue I have with it is that when aiming is turned on, the sky doesn't move, causing visual errors. I don't think this can really be resolved, since stretching the texture would look ugly, and the fading cylinder effect from GZDoom probably uses entirely different code for sky rendering than anything that can be easily implemented in D64EX.

GoatLord said:

In all honesty, the only issue I have with it is that when aiming is turned on, the sky doesn't move, causing visual errors.

well sky works for me even with aim ON:
http://imgur.com/ZWYTGeV
(sorry for the aiming moving at start, mouse went derp that moment)

maybe is your version of doom64ex (or the rom perhaps)? because never got that kind of bug when playing d64ex with aim on.

the only time i got stretching texture bug its when i use lets say a 16x32 texture as floor or ceiling texture, since those need a 64x64 texture size in order to prevent such stretching

Doom 64 ex is a blast, I prefer it to the actual 64 version (I dislike the controller). It's very accurate. as for a re-release, I really don't see that happening. As stated above with midway and id it would be hard to know all the details, that and unless we could see the contract I bet it's locked to nintendo as well so..... Doom 64 ex is the best I expect we'll see.

Goosepants said:

I never played Doom 64 and I don't know why. If I can't find a copy of doom 64 and can't hook up my n64, how is Doom 64 Ex? I want the original experience MEANING the games design. I don't want added in enemies, levels, or anything like that, updated graphics are fine but since I missed Doom 64 I want to make sure I'm playing the "original" one. Thanks!

Doom 64 EX is the representaion of classic gameplay with modern features (like PrBoom+ for Doom).

Spoiler

Just say the word,
and I'll give you a link the Doom 64 rom.

Sorry. Was a bit too excited for some reason...

Oh yes, topic.
Doom 64.
OK.

Just thinking aloud, but would it be easier to port Absolution TC or 64 EX?
On Android/iOS?

Android has a gzdoom port, so you can play Absolution on it, right? Or that zdoom64 thing that was updated by someone.

Absolution runs on a custom Doomsday engine, so GZDoom compatibility with it pretty much amounts to "Why?!".

WildWeasel said:

Absolution runs on a custom Doomsday engine, so GZDoom compatibility with it pretty much amounts to "Why?!".

For some reason I always thought it was a gzdoom TC. Oops.

But that other thing I mentiooned is a gzdoom project, right?

EDIT: This one
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49971

Now that technology has increased in power,
it would be nice if the whole roster of demons were added in Absolution (not EX).

You'd have to make new 3D models for them first. And they'd need to at least fit with the existing D64 roster, by which I mean they need to look like someone fucked a cat over a keyboard while Poser was open.

I've only played EX, it's pretty good even if I only did a few levels. I know that Absolution is a bit different, it's not just new levels, a couple of enemies got a nightmare variation, the unmaker appears in another level, a few puzzles have their solutions and methods changed.

But Absolution was never meant to be a direct copy like EX, was trying to be somewhat different. I'm watching a playthrough of it on YouTube and it looks alright. I really should play Doom64 proper one day.

Absolution didn't try to be something different, it was simply constrained to the limitations of the particular engine it was on but additional content was added to increase the experience.

I meant different from the original, not as something unique. It did change things up from the original. Like how a persons outfit can be the same as another at the base, but his tie and shoes are different....that sort of different.

Z0k said:

i can tell you for sure Doom64ex its faithfull to doom64, lighting system, enemies, weapons, levels. so yea pretty much you will get the original experience of doom64, even if you want to expand that experience, there some user made levels using doom64ex, i remember kaiser did reverse engineering to the game to port doom64 to PC.

Because D64EX is basically Kaiser's port of Doom 64 for PC achieved by reverseengineering the original copy, consider it just like any other source port , requires the Original ROM Which can be dumped using some device which i don't remember the name of , definitely the sam feel , but better with user made levels , customizability, and Multiplayer .

Although it's bad that it's no longer recieving updates .

I played through Doom64 EX maybe 8 months ago. I thought it was absolutely amazing. Would have been nice to see the Spider Mastermind and Archvile make an appearance, but other than that I have no complaints.

Ajora said:

I played through Doom64 EX maybe 8 months ago. I thought it was absolutely amazing. Would have been nice to see the Spider Mastermind and Archvile make an appearance, but other than that I have no complaints.

It's a reimplementation of the N64 game, the mmaps are the same, how would those monsters make an appearance? :D

The only real point there would be in playing the Absolution TC is the unique maps, but even then they have already been converted for use in Doom 64 EX.