Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RetroNuva10

How do I use .pk3's?

just like you use a wad! at least if all you're doing it is loading it to play, that is. pk3 is more or less a zip file containing all the wad's assets in a more organized way than a wad file, but you can run it the same way you'd run a wad file. so either using -file c:\games\doom\lol.pk3 when launching from the command line, or adding the pk3 to a list of files to load from a wad launcher or something. does that help?

If you want to create a pwad as a pk3 file
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

If you want to just play a pwad in the pk3 format
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Installation_and_execution_of_ZDoom
Sometimes you'll find a zip file inside a pk3 file in which case you have to unzip the pk3 file first, then play the zip file.
If the pk3 file contains just the resource structure or a wad file then simply drag and drop the pk3 file onto the GZDoom,
ZDoom or Zandromum icon or exe file.

I tend to put different mods into their own directory with (G)ZDoom

open the (g)zdoom-(username).ini and find the section [Global.Autoload]

then add the pk3 into this section with Path=

For ex..

[Global.Autoload]
Path=doom2_sc55_ogg_v1.2.pk3

You can add multiple pk3's here which (G)ZDoom will then autoload

Alternatively you can just drag and drop the pk3 onto (g)zdoom.exe

If you're asking me to find Path=, I don't see any under [Global.Autoload]. Unless you're asking me to add Path=[etc..]. If so, where?

EDIT:
I understand now.

EDIT+:
It worked when I dragged it to zDoom.exe. Thank you all for the help!

Is there a wad -> pk3 auto onverter or do I have to do it myself? I am worried I might mess things up.

Why convert WADs to PK3s when WADs are more compatible with more ports than PK3s, that IIRC are only compatible with ZDoom?

Well I used Flats as textures and vice versa. It is no longer compatible with Vanilla anyways. Not too mention the fact that I WILL have some Cyan and shades of Purple for some sprites which is outside the limited 256 playpal crayon barrier. GZDoom or get out!

Because it's easier to navigate, maintain, and organize and better for larger projects since the pk3 structure uses less ram then wads do.

Jaxxoon R said:

Because it's easier to navigate, maintain, and organize and better for larger projects since the pk3 structure uses less ram then wads do.

This so much. It also reduces the file size but that really isn't much of an issue anyways.

scifista42 said:

thanks; You are just always there too help!