Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RealDarko

Installing Aliens: The Ultimate Doom??

Ok guys, hello all!

I'm new here and new to Doom since I played back in the day. I discovered Brutal Doom thanks to a friend and now I found a mod called "Aliens: The ultimate Doom", but I cannot make it work, it seems it need something called GZDoom 1.8, I downloaded it, and then drag the aliens pk3 file over GZDoom as I read it, but GZDoom gives me an error and ask me for a WAD file. Can someone please tell me whet I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Also another small question, is there any easy way to edit levels for DOOM?

RealDarko said:

GZDoom gives me an error and ask me for a WAD file. Can someone please tell me whet I'm doing wrong?

Seems like GZDoom doesn't know where your IWADs (the original commercial game's wad files) are on your computer. Put them into your GZDoom folder if so.

RealDarko said:

Also another small question, is there any easy way to edit levels for DOOM?

Yes, just get a Doom map editor. I recommend GZDoom Builder, it's the most feature rich one and easy to use at the same time. There is also less advanced Doom Builder 2, or Eureka Editor, or SLADE3 (which is also a wad content editor, an utility necessary to adding custom music / textures / other content into your wads).

Just remember to make your maps/wads from scratch. Do not edit the commercial IWADs.

scifista42 said:

Seems like GZDoom doesn't know where your IWADs (the original commercial game's wad files) are on your computer. Put them into your GZDoom folder if so.

And where I got those? I think I have Doom on Steam If that works

GZDoom should be able to find your IWADs in Steam's folder without your need to do anything about it. But if it doesn't, extract them by yourself. The usual locations are:

Program Files / Steam / steamapps / common / Ultimate Doom / base / Doom.wad
Program Files / Steam / steamapps / common / Doom 2 / base / Doom2.wad
Program Files / Steam / steamapps / common / Final Doom / base / TNT.wad
Program Files / Steam / steamapps / common / Final Doom / base / Plutonia.wad

I believe that "Aliens: The Ultimate Doom" requires only the Ultimate Doom IWAD, that is Doom.wad.

Installed the Ultimate Doom trough Steam and then everything worked as expected. Thanks a lot for the help, is time to kill some Aliens!