Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jasper Carmack

[FOUND] Doom Sky source files

HAHAHA perhaps I should word that better - Graphically, the sky is quite cool and gives a great hellish vibe, but the mountains literally look like massive piles.

Doomkid said:

HAHAHA perhaps I should word that better - Graphically, the sky is quite cool and gives a great hellish vibe, but the mountains literally look like massive piles.

They always reminded me of oversized embers.

nukeykt said:

Lol,i just noticed that toy pistol i bought in 2007 is Edisson Giocattoli Beretta.

It does look like a good match, though I noticed you reverted your change on the Doom wiki to document it. We should bear in mind that toys like these are replicas of common real-life guns, so there are likely to be many toys made by completely different manufacturers which look very similar.

It would be so much more epic if the guns in Doom were modelled after real guns.

I think we've found the pistol, a brightly coloured water pistol very heavily resembling a beretta made in 1987 to 1994.

Also found the tech wall texture, it's a Gravis Ultrasound Classic card.

This was relatively easy to find - I did an analysis of all the common high-end hardware of the era covering from Feb 1 1991 (When ID was founded) to 1993. Clearly with the money they had, the ID guys would be sporting some serious hardware for the time. I have no idea what GUS' were like for their time though.

Enjoy!

Blackmantis said:

I have no idea what GUS' were like for their time though.

Very good, especially the 1 mb cards.

Blackmantis just got some of the full CD's, we found the mountains in SKY2.

More info coming later.

el zee said:

http://i.imgur.com/lHReN3Y.gif

More info coming later.

What about the background mountains? Maybe they've just been drawn, they're not very complicated. There's a few odd red pixels and some weird dithering, though.

el zee said:

Any info what mountain that is?

Gez said:

What about the background mountains? Maybe they've just been drawn, they're not very complicated. There's a few odd red pixels and some weird dithering, though.

Could be. Could also be a silhouetted mountain pic that goes with the clouds. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Graf Zahl said:

Pic name is ZION.TIF. So I'm assuming somewhere in Zion national park.

Graf Zahl said:

It's called The Watchman & it is in Zion National park. It can be viewed from the south entrance of the park near Springdale.

Awesome, and it's in North America :D close enough, but not really in the Caribbean though, where Cleimos, an E2 replacement, takes place.

Gez said:

Found 'em! :D

Also you'll have to look close for the next two; check the bottom left, and the bottom middle areas;

I think it would be safe to say that we now pretty much have all of the photo textures that ID used that weren't taken by themselves. Since the images are royalty free, I'm thinking I'll upload the entire CD set.

Jaws In Space said:

It's called The Watchman & it is in Zion National park. It can be viewed from the south entrance of the park near Springdale.

Yeah, and it's at just as badass looking in real life, if not more so!

Jaws In Space said:

I need to go there. E2 is my favourite IWAD sky by far D:

Now this is the kind of quality content I come here for!

Anyway I'm not an outdoorsy kind of person but I've long wanted to go to Zion National Park myself. It's gorgeous.

What exactly is the dark grey MFLR (pictured a few posts above, the one with waves and dunes) based on? What material is that? Or is it just digital art?

printz said:

What exactly is the dark grey MFLR (pictured a few posts above, the one with waves and dunes) based on? What material is that? Or is it just digital art?

If it's real, then it must be volcanic sand

Eris Falling said:

I need to go there. E2 is my favourite IWAD sky by far D:

dethtoll said:

Anyway I'm not an outdoorsy kind of person but I've long wanted to go to Zion National Park myself. It's gorgeous.

I was there on my birthday in August 2014 & I've got to say that it's quite a spectacular park. Though you might want to avoid going in the summer months as it is crowded as hell. I actually missed seeing the Watchman even though I was right there, now I have all the more reason to go back.

printz said:

The filename reads TRACKS.TIF but it came from a series of "TRACKS" images which all appear to be darkish beach dunes and sand.

Jaxxoon R said:

So who here's willing to take a pilgrimage to all the Doom sky mountains?

I'm game to take a trip to China someday to check out the Yangshuo mountains in Guilin.

I have no idea where "Yangshuo Cavern" is, nor can I find where it is on google, but if I can find where SKY1 was taken, I'll make the trek and get some quality photos.

By far, the ugliest art in >320x200 ports is the skies, especially when freelook is allowed, and the skies are stretched to compensate.

Somebody make hi-res replacement sky images for Doom and Doom II!! (please :)