Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lunaark

Strange Doom SNES graphic compression. (SOLVED!)

I was looking in Tile Molester for graphics, and I remembered I found the textures before. I used all the settings I need to make sure the textures are visible. The sky textures are perfectly uncompressed, but...

http://imgur.com/gallery/cYRGu/

Notice how the sky textures are uncompressed, but the textures are weirdly distorted/warped and have coloured dots on them.

If anyone here has SNES knowledge please tell me what compression method this is.

Edit: When I first saw the textures, I thought they were RLE compression, and I was right, because another Doom SNES hacker told me.

If you had the original binary data and the image it is supposed to be the it would be easier to determine any potential algorithm it uses, apart from disassembling the game and using any algorithm in it.

GhostlyDeath said:

If you had the original binary data and the image it is supposed to be the it would be easier to determine any potential algorithm it uses, apart from disassembling the game and using any algorithm in it.

I realized there is a guy who figured out the sprite and texture compression that I've been talking to for a year, because he has done some astronomically hard things.

He was even working on a Doom SNES editor.

If there is some guy figuring out the SNES Doom file format, why aren't we talking to him directly instead of you as some sort of intermediary?

Looks an awful lot like a variant of Doom's patch_t structure to me. Though if none of the tools coming out of this stuff are going to be open source, you can count out any further/future help from me. I don't go for that whole ROM scene thing where people horde the source code to their hacking tools.

Quasar said:

Looks an awful lot like a variant of Doom's patch_t structure to me. Though if none of the tools coming out of this stuff are going to be open source, you can count out any further/future help from me. I don't go for that whole ROM scene thing where people horde the source code to their hacking tools.

What makes you say that? Anyways, the guy I was talking to was mopoz. He told me everything uses RLE compression, which I thought from the start but now I know for sure.

Here is a direct quote from him.

Yo dude!
It uses RLE compression. Compression on different textures and sprites.
$1b0000-$1b007C - poiters on texture

$1b007e+ pointer - discription texture
Y,X, pointers on vertical line*Y
One poiter - one vertical line.
HEX: XX YY Y1 Y2 ...
if XX<0x80 then take new color XX times YY Y1 Y2 ... and so on.
if XX>0x80 then Copy one color YY 0x100-XX times