Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
volumetricsteve

Chocolate Doom et alia

Chocolate Doom is pretty great, I used it in linux for all of October and Beat doom 2 start to finish and it really...did its job. Luckily that had a 4:3 display though.

I see there's a spin-off project (maybe these are called something else? forks?) called Crispy Doom, which is also interesting, adding some nice features.

I'm wondering though...what live source ports are there? It seems like a bunch of the old greats haven't been updated in ages.

I'm looking for something that'd be as simple as chocolate doom, but with an OpenGL backend...Zdoom is great, GZdoom, also great, but is there anything more simple and actively updated?

I checked out the wiki for doom ports, but I was looking for something more comprehensive, it lists a few things that are good, but very dead, and it doesn't list the sub-projected spawned from the big ones.

ZDoom and GZDoom are actively updated at least several times each month if you look for their development builds.

EDIT: Other actively developed ports are Doom Retro, Eternity Engine, 3DGE, PrBoom-plus and Zandronum. (and maybe I forgot some)

Yeah those are pretty great, but would you say they're the closest approximation to something that would be as simple as chocolate doom with opengl?

Zdoom adds a LOT of stuff, which is ok, I just don't always want a million options built into the menu...I'd actually like 99% of that in the console.

I'm absolutely splitting hairs, but if something exists that is what I'm looking for, that'd be pretty sweet.

also, I'm an idiot:

http://reddoorbluekey.com/pc-news/hurt-plenty-tour-best-doom-source-ports/

I managed to miss that the first run though, still haven't found what I'm looking for though

Edit:

I'm a double idiot:

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/

It would be nice if this list had a "last updated" column, if I did the legwork could someone drop it in the page?

The closest you may get to Chocolate Doom with OpenGL support is PrBoom-Plus.

About the menu, everything you can set in ZDoom's menu you can set in the console as well. The entire options menu is just a user friendly interface to console options.

volumetricsteve said:

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/

It would be nice if this list had a "last updated" column, if I did the legwork could someone drop it in the page?

It would require the page being updated regularly. Instead you can click "Link" to visit the official website of each source port, and that will usually easily (and mainly, reliably) tell you when each of them was actually last updated.

Graf Zahl said:

The closest you may get to Chocolate Doom with OpenGL support is PrBoom-Plus.

About the menu, everything you can set in ZDoom's menu you can set in the console as well. The entire options menu is just a user friendly interface to console options.

Holy crap it's Graf! Thanks for the reply.

That is correct, but I recently played Doom Retro which maintains a "classic menu" so all the technical stuff is hidden in the console, which I hold some appreciation for that design choice. Again, I'm completely splitting hairs here and I'm pretty sure I'll end up targeting g/zdoom, I'm just seeing what floating around.

Also, Damn fine work on GZdoom.

@scifista42 -

Yeah, I guess that would be a pain....even scripting it would be a pain.

volumetricsteve said:

Holy crap it's Graf! Thanks for the reply.

That is correct, but I recently played Doom Retro which maintains a "classic menu" so all the technical stuff is hidden in the console, which I hold some appreciation for that design choice. Again, I'm completely splitting hairs here and I'm pretty sure I'll end up targeting g/zdoom, I'm just seeing what floating around.

Also, Damn fine work on GZdoom.

@scifista42 -

Yeah, I guess that would be a pain....even scripting it would be a pain.

Then keep using Doom Retro for vanilla and Boom/MBF projects and GZDoom for zdoom projects.

Actually, there are many actively developed Doom ports but since you want a hardcore one (software, low res renderer, no freelook, no jumping, no filtering) without a clusterfuck of menu options, go for Doom Retro.

Is there any (already-existing) MENUDEF mod for (G)ZDoom made specifically to please this kind of players who are offended by complicated menus?

Graf Zahl said:

What's too complicated in there? Too many options?

3DGE and its predecessor have gotten the same criticism. I don't understand - do we need to build like a "basic DOS-style Options menu" flag so it won't show our "clusterfuck option" screens?

Tongue in cheek, of course, but what's there that overwhelms the user? Everything in both of our ports are categorized, labeled. . . should I dumb down 3DGE's option screen?

It's a lot more user-friendly when users have to change settings by looking up a list of console variables on the wiki; undoubtedly.

Gez said:

It's a lot more user-friendly when users have to change settings by looking up a list of console variables on the wiki; undoubtedly.

The only options I change in Doom Retro are the messages to On, mouse sensitivity and then I edit the ini for the weapon keys.

If anything I'd say ZDoom engines have an easier menu to use than PrBoom-Plus. More options yes, but faster and well categorized.

I don't understand this issue. You spend next to no time there compared to actually playing.

ReFracture said:

If anything I'd say ZDoom engines have an easier menu to use than PrBoom-Plus. More options yes, but faster and well categorized.

I don't understand this issue. You spend next to no time there compared to actually playing.

The OP mentioned in his second post that he is splitting hair but that's what he is looking for.