Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FTM

New Doom trailer in Facebook page

I also noticed that when the Hell Knights upper torso fell on to the floor after the chainsaw scene, that it appeared to leave no blood on the floor at all.

I just would have expected some sort of blood decals, even temporary ones ala the various Build Engine games, would have been present. Given how much the trailers and marketing have played up the blood and fatalities.

I am disappointed with Doomguy dosen't make any scream when Baron of Hell tears his body apart.

It seems they make him a mute, this bothers me as I enjoyed all the grunt and scream sounds of Doomguy in classic Dooms.

kerrang said:

I am disappointed with Doomguy dosen't make any scream when Baron of Hell tears his body apart.

It seems they make him a mute, this bothers me as I enjoyed all the grunt and scream sounds of Doomguy in classic Dooms.

Ehm.. They lowered the volume a little bit compared to the previous combat/music but you can definitely hear him scream his lungs out when the Baron finishes him? I would try and listen again. :)

GoatLord said:

I feel like the blood effects have been improved, I doubt we'll have to worry much about that.

I feel so too. Vast improvement.

redrage said:

Ehm.. They lowered the volume a little bit compared to the previous combat/music but you can definitely hear him scream his lungs out when the Baron finishes him? I would try and listen again. :)

Yeah I was about to post this, it's definitely there.

Here's something interesting I found in the new trailer.
There's some enemy I've never seen before standing right in front of the Caco at about 0:27 in the video.

Here's some of the shots where he's just standing there:

Here's a shot of him getting blasted back by the explosion that kills the Caco:

What's interesting, is that he seems to either be on fire himself, or be carrying something that's on fire.
You can see the fire, which he appears to be holding above him, on the distance shots, and then as he goes flying, the flame follows him.

One thing I was surprised by was when I paused the video to see what monster blows up in the scene with the pump action shotgun, it was a hell knight. Never thought that the pump action shotgun would be able to gib a hell knight. Cool nonetheless.

doom_is_great said:

One thing I was surprised by was when I paused the video to see what monster blows up in the scene with the pump action shotgun, it was a hell knight. Never thought that the pump action shotgun would be able to gib a hell knight. Cool nonetheless.

They musta used some sort of attachment to do that. If a pump action can gib a helll knight then, I dunno.

Still the same berserk packing man and a half (where the focus is on how tough you are maiming enemies like plasticine, up until your end though), weak sound effects (can't hear the plasma rifle, for one), and predictable game metal music.

Still I guess it's going in the right direction, except that the UAC bases look soulless here, without giving you the feeling that humans used to have jobs here. Do the Doom 4 designers still have a writer on board to set up the plot, or did they lay him off? It's 2016 so the game deserves a story.

printz said:

Do the Doom 4 designers still have a writer on board to set up the plot, or did they lay him off? It's 2016 so the game deserves a story.

The codex sounds like it'll be pretty story rich. It's nice that players like me who want straight up classic Doom action can ignore it too, whilst you guys who like story can read up on all of that shit. Basically what the PDA should've been.

AwesomeO-789 said:

They musta used some sort of attachment to do that. If a pump action can gib a helll knight then, I dunno.

The shotgun has a grenade launcher attachment. Actually it's very obvious that's what he's using right after the HK gets gibbed, he turns to the tight and fires, and it takes half a second for the grenade to travel to the guy between the shield guys who also gets vapourised.

AirRaid said:

The shotgun has a grenade launcher attachment. Actually it's very obvious that's what he's using right after the HK gets gibbed, he turns to the tight and fires, and it takes half a second for the grenade to travel to the guy between the shield guys who also gets vapourised.

Ahh that explains it. I had hoped the shotgun actually sounds like that in normal mode.

The shotgun is just like the one in Rage with a micro-grenade launcher attached. I don't see much logic in it but then again, portable triple minigun...

LkMax said:

The shotgun is just like the one in Rage with a micro-grenade launcher attached. I don't see much logic in it but then again, portable triple minigun...

It's best not to question Doom... After all we have a skeleton that can somehow carry the weight an armoured vest with a jetpack and 2 rocket launchers attached to it haha

The Civ said:

Here's something interesting I found in the new trailer.
There's some enemy I've never seen before standing right in front of the Caco at about 0:27 in the video.

Here's some of the shots where he's just standing there:
http://i.imgur.com/n7tvU6R.png

Here's a shot of him getting blasted back by the explosion that kills the Caco:
http://i.imgur.com/U793flU.png

What's interesting, is that he seems to either be on fire himself, or be carrying something that's on fire.
You can see the fire, which he appears to be holding above him, on the distance shots, and then as he goes flying, the flame follows him.

It's an exploding zombie. A welding torch engineer that got possessed by the evil forces of HELL!

So far that modded Chaingun is my favorite weapon.

Would be cool if there was an exploding Lost Soul variant.

One thing that's been bugging me: Both in the E3 footage and in the new trailer, I have seen an enemy or two that is just standing there, doing nothing, as if it has no AI. I don't get this. In the E3 footage it was one of the possessed, and in the campaign trailer it's a cacodemon just staring at you in the middle of the chaos. I'm really hoping for some decent AI in the final product. It doesn't have to be mind-blowing, but the original games still surprise me sometimes and I want that same sense of interaction with the new one.

printz said:

It's 2016 so the game deserves a story.

..what? Why does every FPS need a story? You know what? The new Wolfenstein was the least enjoyable experience I've had in YEARS. The cutscenes where tiresome, the 'story' was downright mediocre and the setting was utterly forgettable.

There I said it. Shots fired. Whatever.

Keep this nonsense out of Doom, or at least do what Doom 3 did, and keep the majority of it in PDA files. You want story in an FPS? Buy an Xbox, play Halo.

Doom is and always will be, about the combat. So tired of people crying about story. Want real story? Go read a book. Want decisions? Go play a Bioware/Telltale game. Doom is about KILLING. RIP AND TEAR. Seriously, it may be time to accept that Doom isn't for you. :)

GoatLord said:

One thing that's been bugging me: Both in the E3 footage and in the new trailer, I have seen an enemy or two that is just standing there, doing nothing, as if it has no AI. I don't get this. In the E3 footage it was one of the possessed, and in the campaign trailer it's a cacodemon just staring at you in the middle of the chaos. I'm really hoping for some decent AI in the final product. It doesn't have to be mind-blowing, but the original games still surprise me sometimes and I want that same sense of interaction with the new one.

I think the cacodemon kill is just the way they cut the video. Regarding the possessed they are supposed to be fodder so that could explain the simple AI.

Ironhound said:

Keep this nonsense out of Doom, or at least do what Doom 3 did, and keep the majority of it in PDA files. You want story in an FPS? Buy an Xbox, play Halo.

Doom is and always will be, about the combat. So tired of people crying about story. Want real story? Go read a book. Want decisions? Go play a Bioware/Telltale game. Doom is about KILLING. RIP AND TEAR. Seriously, it may be time to accept that Doom isn't for you. :)

Good News! The Dacia Sandero is comin... wait wrong topic.

Actually they have explicitly stated that this is what they have done. The story stuff is there for those who want to look for it but it can be pretty much completely bypassed if you don't.

AirRaid said:

Actually they have explicitly stated that this is what they have done. The story stuff is there for those who want to look for it but it can be pretty much completely bypassed if you don't.

I know, its just frustrating to read all of these 'story' comments on the youtube trailer and these forums. I feel like nobody played anything but Doom 3. It makes me a sad panda. :(

Ironhound said:

You want story in an FPS? Buy an Xbox, play Halo.

Halo isn't the only FPS with a story. There have been FPS with stories since the 90s, only on PC.

And I'm not just talking something in a game manual. Dark Forces 2 had cutscenes, player character talking during gameplay.

There's undoubtedly going to be establishment, stuff on the radio, and otherwise, but the game probably isn't going to be putting the plot in the forefront as a primary focus. You could say Doom 3 kinda-sorta did that, but there were just long expanses in that game of nothing but progression until you suddenly hit a point where you're expected to stand there listening to a scientist's exposition. Unless you shoot him in the face to skip it.

There seems to be a codex, you've got the Echoes, and i'm sure there's other things to help paint a plot and a picture, but what else do you really need? UAC's teleportation experiments went wrong again, Hell is breaking loose, and someone needs to kick some demon ass to save Mars and, potentially, humanity. If you really need something more complex than that, I don't know what to tell you.