Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Papamonos

Doom 3 Mod: Hell in Time

Hi to everyone!
I'm new at Doomworld forums, and recently have finished a new work for Doom 3, named Hell In Time. This is a ten level episode with new mons-
ters, textures and other features, as using of 'Classic Mod' and Double Barrel Shotgun from ROE. You can download file (around 200MB) from this link -> http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/568185/hit-rar.html
File is a only rar that contains required files (.pk4 and .dll) and a Readme file (one in Spanish and one in English) with important installa-
tion instructions.

In few words, player will fight against a lot of demons traveling along big maps through time (as Medieval castle, pyramid catacombs and a Ma-
yan temple), and I have tried to keep the playability spirit from cla-
ssic Doom's.

Ok, I expect that you enjoy and sorry for my ugly english. I accept (constructive) critics!!!

Would upload this to Mediafire or Dropbox?
It's because sites like these are more friendly than the one you posted.
And also please post some screenshots, so we can see how the mod looks.

Wow, your mod looks great, the levels are well done, decent enemy placement and feels like i'm playing classic Doom, i'm at level 4 and i say i enjoyed the first 3 levels.
This is a very well done mod, indeed.
I wish Doom 3 had more mods like these, but making Doom 3 levels is hard and takes a lot of time.
But if you want to make more, go ahead.

I'm on the second level now and I must say, I'm really enjoying this so far. Definitely would have been a very high-tier map set back in the early Doom 3 glory days. I didn't even know people were still modding for Doom 3... great work!

Thanks you (and J.B.R), very much. Yes, some years ago people don't make a lot of maps for Doom 3, and their majority follows the same ori-
ginal Doom 3 maps style... As you can see in HIT, the game has all (or nearly) ingredients for classic Doom, we just must "think" in Doom (and not in Doom 3) to build them.

Really, this is my second big job for Doom 3. Four years ago, I finished
a totally different MOD called "Pray for Pain", that was published in a dissapeared web (I don't remember the name, but there were a lot of maps for different games). I want to reedit last level and publish a-
gain, cause I do not like this too much and I readed some negative opi-
nion.

Currently I'm started another small experiment that do not has any re-
lation with HIT, but I have a lot of ideas that I expect to realize.

Regards!

First of all, congratulations on finishing and releasing your mod. That by itself is a big accomplishment. Second I really do hope I don't discourage you with this post. My intention is to push you in the right direction as I see it. Whether it's sensible or not is up to you to decide.

That said, I think you would do well to narrow your focus a whole lot. It's very clear that you want to break free of the shackles of Doom3, but I'm not sure you are aware of just how much work that would take to accomplish. You have a very naive approach to Doom3 mapping which definitely can be seen as charming. Taking a look of your levels in the topview in Doom3Edit takes me back to good old classic Doom with the angled staircases, interconnected rooms and so forth. This is certainly a great quality to have.

The problem as I see it is that you don't entirely seem to understand the Doom3 engine and its positive/negative sides. The Doom3 engine is a high maintenance game engine. This means that it requires a lot of attention in order to produce good results - and it's not just concerning the visuals. Nothing in Doom3 is easy or straight forward to produce.

With the classic Doom engine you could easily throw a few rooms together, slap on some textures, add a few decorations and some monsters. And it would play well. It would look acceptable. Another engine, source, almost always produces something that looks acceptable at least. It's not the best looking engine out there by any means, but it's a much more inviting look.

Doom3 on the other hand does not have a middle ground. It either looks like crap or it looks somewhat good (and from there and up). That's not 100% true of course, but I've worked enough with the engine to know that an area will typically look like shit until it suddenly starts looking good - and it takes a *lot* of work. The same goes for monster placement and scripting. While I do experience that a map gets better while working on it, it's often a test of patience and confidence as it typically doesn't "work" until the last 10% of the work is put in.

I don't really think you succeed in the goal of making a Doom3 mod that looks and plays like classic doom. I don't even think that's possible without some lengthy and time consuming reworking of the engine(and the assets) - and even then what would the point be? I definitely share your desire to make Doom3 play more like classic Doom, but I think it can be done in a way that mangles Doom3 much less.

If you truly want to make something that looks and plays like classic doom, I would suggest you make something for classic doom. It's much more accessible and your audience is a lot bigger. If you want to hone your mapping skills and make a future for yourself (professionally or "just" in newer engines) I think you need to embrace the engine and base environment a lot more. You're trying to change a microwave oven to do the work of a refridgerator.

So my advice would be to study the engine some more. Look at the maps provided by id software and nerve. Find out what works and what doesn't. It's possible to make semi-big (that's probably as big as you can stretch it) areas that look and play great, but it takes a fuckload of work. Go smaller. Make a prototype. Hone your skills! You have the spark and you know your interconnectivity. Learn the engine and you will get far. I would be happy to provide you some pointers for this and that, but it really depends on what you wish to accomplish. I won't waste the time of us both if you're comfortable and satisfied with what you're doing now.

Again. Kudos on getting a 10 level mod released. Getting that far is difficult :)

Hi Shaviro.

First of all, thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I knew from first moment that trying to make a "classic doom" style for Doom 3 is a risk, because Doom 3 players are more used to play "Doom 3 Style" and his engine is not focused to other things. In fact, I had a lot of problems with big areas and to place too much monsters (compilation errors and low framerate). And is really hard to make this aspects and keep game quality, and I was to make them following the engine features and limits. However, I also know that some people would like to see this in Doom 3 and vary from same "closed and dark UAC Base" maps. I would like to make a professional work (using all engine advantages, specially with scripting), but although is in my plans, It's not a preference in my life :)

Regards!

Wow! By the look of those screenshots it looks like you've put a lot of work and care when developing this, I will definitely give this a try!

So I played through most of it (just finished Osiris2 map) and I really enjoyed it so far!

Good:

- Large levels with some non-linear parts. It's so much more fun to have some non-linear progression and exploring instead of the common boring linear room-corridor-room layouts!

- A good number of secrets! Very similar in style to classic Doom/Quake.

- New monsters! Some of theme look a bit amateurish, but it's a big plus that you made the effort to design and script them.

- Large scale of the project and interesting new settings. I liked the Aztec style levels best.

- Monster infighting! So much fun and gives you some additional combat options, just like in classic Doom and Quake1/2.

- Faster walk speed and infinite stamina work well with the more action-oriented gameplay.

- Some cool arena fights, very much like in the first Serious Sam game.

Could need some work:

- Some custom textures don't have normal maps / specular maps and look quite bad because of that

- Some custom textures have way too glossy specular maps (the straw bales for example look like plastic because of that)

- Texturing in general needs more work, for example don't use the same texture for walls and floors and ceilings

- Lighting also needs more work, it's often very basic

- There should be more ambient sound (wind sounds for example)

- Instant death traps are no fun

- HUD looks a bit sketchy

Overall this is a great effort and I can recommend it to everyone who enjoys playing Doom3 and also likes the classic 1990s non-linear explorative style of FPS.

Thanks you very much! I'm glad for enjoy the maps.

This is a very constructive review to know that works and that do not works :) A lot of reason about "amateur" monsters (yes, some of they are just modifications and others made as Frankenstein monster :D). Almost of textures seems good because are modifications from original textures (and these keeps glossy and nomal maps) but others are imported and I don't knew to make a very good aspect :( For future projects I try to use predefined textures, or just use only from the assets! About the traps... yes, I liked the idea. In fact, my initial intention was make more "Tomb Raider" traps style, but as you have seen, these can be really annoying. I must to avoid these and other error as lightning and sound (these were more worked in 'Pray' TC).

While I try to refresh ideas for new Doom 3 works, I will return to my old games edition (after too many years). At the moment I have finished the design (in a paper) for a little map for Doom 2, and have some projects in mind for Duke Nukem, Half Life 2 and Quake 2...

Regards!

I might give this a look-see later. Looks pretty decent, and it's been a while since I've seen a worthwhile D3 map pack.

In all honesty, I'd probably go with a different engine for what you have in mind, say, UE3/UE4/CryEngine3. All of those are much more suited to the wide-open areas and outdoor lighting you're using here, and also much more suitable for a beginner in terms of learning resources.

Again, very nice work, though. :)

This mod is awesome !!! 10/10 !

Thanks to Juan Daniel 'Papamonos' Alcobre for its hard work on this mod/maps.