Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thesecondcomingdoom

Who still plays with arrow keys or IJKL?

I use arrow keys + Ctrl/Alt/Space/etc for playing Doom-like games. Also, I like the idea of using IJKL as an alternative option when arrows would be impractical and WASD had a different purpose. For example (sorry for a possible off-topic), I made this Flash game that's supposed to be controlled by 1 player using both his hands, controlling one spaceship by WASD and another spaceship by IJKL simultaneously. I've found fun playing the it. If I was about to implement shooting for each spaceship by additional keys on the keyboard, and wanted them to stay close to their respective movement control keys, the advantage of IJKL over arrows would particularly stand out.

Mouse + WASD. It somehow works out better for me because I'm left handed, but have always used a mouse with my right hand.
The only time I use IJKL to navigate is Vim.

Since Quake III Arena (my first PC FPS after consoles) back in 2004 I have always been using the WSAD + Mouse setup.

I've been using arrow keys since I was little. I never even considered using WASD, even with a mouse. (And you might ask why I don't do multiplayer... :P )

For emulators, I play with a Logitech F310 (that my brother kindly lend me) because the keyboard is too awkward and cumbersome for me to use. In the future, I might replace that with an XBox One Elite controller.

I actually came up with WASD independently, when I first got my hands on the qtest Quake demo. It was evident that using the mouse would be a huge advantage, so I tried using arrow keys + mouse but it was too crowded for me on the right like that. So I just sort of dropped my hand on the left side of the keyboard, and WASD is where it landed. I'd like to think I managed to influence years of gaming to come, but no, probably not.