• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheGamePhilosophe

Space Beast Terror Fright

Have you guys tried this game?

Space Beast Terror Fright. http://store.steampowered.com/app/357330/

If not, I highly recommend you do. It's the closest a videogame has ever gotten to re-creating that moment in Aliens when the marines get overrun.

The gist is, you have to download datacores on a ship infested with aliens, shutdown the reactor, and escape before it blows up. In little time, the ship is swarming with the creatures, and if they get you, you're dead and that's it. Each play is randomly generated (map, number and location of datacores/ammo stations/sentry turrets, and alien breaches through which they infest the ship) so you never know what's coming, which add to the thrill hugely. The game also has an appealing retro 90s look and an exceptional dynamic soundtrack.

Tremendously tense, immensely satisfying weapons, extremely challenging, and you can get it pretty cheap. It's still in early access, but it runs beautifully and should be launching in a couple months from what the dev is saying.

Is the default fov like 120 or something?

I dunno, the UT invasion mode genre is a bit cramped, and this game doesn't seem to bring anything interesting to the table to make it stand out except maybe the lack of dinosaurs or zombies.

This game is very different from UT Invasion or say, Killing Floor. You aren't fending off waves of enemies in an arena setting. You are in a tightly constructed labyrinth that is gradually filling up with a never-ending horde of creatures, bursting out of the walls/ceilings, as you try to find the cores and then shutdown the reactor. The longer you take, the more filled with them the ship becomes, and the harder it gets.

As for the FOV, it actually changes when you are about to get devoured, giving a little bit of an edge to help you survive. Part of the game's design is limiting your vision. The muzzle flare from your rifle actually makes it difficult to see what's going on right in front of you. The ship is also dark, and your flashlight battery is constantly draining. So if you don't charge it (which happens when you download a datacore) you end up in the dark with just a faint red glow in front of you.

Other mechanics, like the fact that you die in one hit and friendly fire, also make this game stand out and give it a unique feel. And I can't stress enough that this game is REALLY hard.

It'd probably be better to go into a fisheye lens than simply increase the FOV, the odd thing being that a fisheye actually has far less visual distortion at higher FOVs than without it. Or alternatively, some form of a Panini projection

Jaxxoon R said:

It'd probably be better to go into a fisheye lens than simply increase the FOV, the odd thing being that a fisheye actually has far less visual distortion at higher FOVs than without it. Or alternatively, some form of a Panini projection

One cool thing about this game is that the dev (just one guy at the moment) is very active on Steam and has taken all sorts of player input on board over the months. If people want it or the dev likes it, and it is doable, there's a good chance a suggested feature will be implemented.

Would be nice to see a variance in corridor assets such as different textures and maybe some height variation. But that would divert from the space hulk homage.

looks good, at first with that title i was thinking to some cheesy 50s sci-fi b-movie, or something inspired from that kind of stuff...

I remember looking at it when it was still in early access and thought it looked pretty bad, and could probably give epileptic people seizures within 5 seconds with the sheer amount of muzzle flash. Looks like they've cleaned it up a lot now.

walter confalonieri said:

looks good, at first with that title i was thinking to some cheesy 50s sci-fi b-movie, or something inspired from that kind of stuff...

Star Beast was the name of the first draft of a script that would eventually become Alien.