Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaSphere

Your least favourite enemy?

Tritnew said:

I love all the enemies, but Pain Elemental Is an annoying skullfuck spitter.

I hate how sometimes a PE can get into infighting and keeps crapping out skulls while you are out of sight. It can really mess you up ammo-wise.

VGA said:

I hate how sometimes a PE can get into infighting and keeps crapping out skulls while you are out of sight. It can really mess you up ammo-wise.

Yeah, but I always use the one little trick where you can get up Into It's face and you can prevent It from spitting out Lost Souls. I guess you can call It a "Automatic Abortion".

I forgot the video where It came from, but It Involves the "Agitated Skeleton" bit that's always been around the DOOM community.

If you want to see PEs become a genuine honest-to-god threat, play MAP30 of Sunlust. I fucking dare you.

Hm, I think Lost Souls count as a annoyance to me as well. You're just fighting the Cyberdemon at the end of Episode 2 and BAM, a Lost Soul comes flying Into your face as you shoot a rocket launcher Into It's face, and you die with It.

They're more bullet sponges to me than anything.

Tritnew said:

They're more bullet sponges to me than anything.

But you admitted that they're good at making the player suicide with rocket launcher, which is something. I'd say that their charge attack makes them threatening and even exciting-to-avoid in the right situation when the player has other immediate priorities than individually tackling them down.

fraggle said:

As you're new here, please read the FAQ before continuing to post. Thanks

I honestly don't exactly understand it. The "quote for the truth" exist so you won't just repeat the exact same opinion and saying exact same thing, or saying how much you agree with what has been told in that quote rather than write a short not annoying message to show that you actually agree with them.

But alright then, I guess.

Tritnew said:

Yeah, but I always use the one little trick where you can get up Into It's face and you can prevent It from spitting out Lost Souls. I guess you can call It a "Automatic Abortion".

I forgot the video where It came from, but It Involves the "Agitated Skeleton" bit that's always been around the DOOM community.

Its called pro doom monster srats: https://youtu.be/HJcf0aOwmiA

I think my least favorite enemy are the SS nazis because they're a gimmick enemy that is difficult to implement in user maps without feeling forced.

Pain Elemental for sure.

The Vile is my favorite but generally when I encounter a well placed one in a quality mapset I actually feel dread and fear.

Baron of Hell, for sure. Hell Knight fills his role and is more interesting. I also used to hate Pain Elementals, but now I love them. Spider Mastermind are second worst, but at least when you fight them it's like "you're fighting a boss" lol It's not boring if you use it here and there, IMO.

IMO, every monster has kind of a role which can be used well (even Baron's, but they're just redundant when you have HK)

Probably the SS, not because of how they look, but I feel that they take to long to kill, they're very annoying in large groups, and once you do kill htme the bullets they drop are hardly a reward.

All fucking Pain Elementals must fucking die.

(i don't think hanging would be very effective in their case)

1) Arch-Vile. Dangerous with a lack of cover.

2) Chaingunner. Irritating sniper enemy and devastating in groups at close to mid range.

3) Pain Elemental. Lost Soul spam factory and giant PITA in wide open areas.

4) Lost Soul. Responsible for close up rocket splash damage in my face meant for another monster and annoying to kill.

The only enemy I don't like is Lost Soul, all the rests are fun to fight with, even Pain Elemental.

I don't count SS as they are not belong to Doom world, they are a bonus enemy just for fun.

MegaSphere said:

As much as I hate Revenants at least they serve a purpose which can't be said for Pain Elementals who just litter the map with Lost Souls which are also completly fucking useless and should be removed from the game most wads just throw few of them in between hordes of other monsters as if hell had to abide some diversity quota if you're a mapper just use Cacodemons instead.

I like the lost souls. You can use them to push the player back and then other monsters can get some room to spread their wings.

pfr_77 said:

All fucking Pain Elementals must fucking die.

(i don't think hanging would be very effective in their case)

Now, an (un)dead hanging PE would be creepy as fuck.

While I do not HATE them, I think the Pain Elementals are up there for biggest pain in the ass enemy on UV. It happens every time to me, I see a pain elemental floating around, I grab my rocket launcher and shoot, and right as the rocket leaves the barrel, there is a lost soul in front of me and my rocket explodes 2 feet from my face.

TBQH I kinda like PEs: their chaos-creating abilities and their unusual interaction with the player and other monsters (attacking only indirectly) can add a lot of gameplay spice. They are also less of an immediate, personal threat than Archviles.

I see a lot of hate for Pain Elementals, but I don't find them too troublesome if I can deal with them early enough, before they manage to spam out too many of those bloody awful Lost Souls. Those things are crap; annoying movement pattern, hard to hit, and they take too many shotgun shells to die. They'd be more fun to fight if you could take them out with one shotgun blast.

Revenants are pretty terrible to fight when they're in large numbers. The homing missiles are hard enough to dodge when there are 1-3 of them, but any more than that and it starts becoming impossible, especially if the mapper is sadistic enough to spring a load of them on you in a confined space where you can't dodge around a corner. Having said that though they're not too bad if the mapper doesn't overuse them.

Worst of all in my opinion is the Arch-Vile. Resurrects things, has quite a lot of health, and has an attack that is impossible to dodge when you're in her line of sight. If one of those things turns up it becomes a priority target. If multiple Arch-Viles appear, then I swear a lot.

NoXion said:

They'd be more fun to fight if you could take them out with one shotgun blast.

Well, technically you can: about 1 every 64 SG blasts deals 100 or 105 HP of damage ;-)