Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JXC

What are these weird noises I hear from random noise?

Hi, I would like to tell you a weird or interesting thing about my body: Every time I hear white noise, pink noise, or any random noise like a fan, I hear these weird noises coming from it. I hear ghostly sounds and some mild screams. I'm not sure how to describe them. They appear to be external noises, except they are the same everywhere, and I occasionally don't hear them shortly after I wake up while my fan is running. I actually had this for over a year. I still sleep fine, and I still find pink noise relaxing. My dad says that this phenomenon could be apophenia, which is subconsciously finding patterns in meaningless sound, kind of like pareidolia (finding faces from grouped objects or patterns). They're not bothering me, but I would like to find out the cause.

Definitely sounds like apophenia. I get something similar all the time, when floorboards or door hinges squeak, I swear I can hear words within the squeak more often than not. It's just my imagination "building" the word from what is just a noise, though. I have to assume it's the same thing in your case.

I am definitely not schizophrenic. However, I would like to know if it is possible to get rid of these sounds.

Linguica said:

I'm not a doctor but it maybe you might consider seeing one maybe just in case?? http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/191/4/355.long

Even though THE DOOR HINGES ARE TALKING TO ME!!!, I too can confirm I'm not schizophrenic. At least mine are just random words and not the sounds of screams, though.. That does sound pretty unpleasant.

I don't actually hear anything in white noise, on a related note, only on very particular sounds which coincidentally have similar intonation to a person speaking.

JXC said:

I am definitely not schizophrenic.

That's what they all say...

RUSH said:

That's what they all say...

Hmmm, these are the only abnormal things that I hear. I have no voices in my head, no imaginary friends, nothing a typical schizophrenic would have.

JXC said:

I am definitely not schizophrenic.

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now.

In all seriousness, I watched a TED talk about a woman who has schizophrenia and hears voices. She had it rough until she tried listening to them. What she found was that they weren't evil or annoying, but something her mind constructed to help her through difficult times. All she had to do was listen to them. After she started doing that, she was able to come off her meds (all? most? can't remember) and live a normal life. She still hears them, but not nearly as often, and they usually offer good advice or help her cope with difficult things.

Not to imply that you have schizophrenia, but ever consider listening to these noises and trying to approach them in a way where they might be friendly/helpful to you?

NeedHealth said:

Remember: on this forum we are all voices in your head.

XD

Again, they are not voices, just sounds that I'm used to but don't understand.

As a general rule of thumb, I always recommend that you do whatever the voices tell you.

For real though, I can often hear my name being called out when I'm in a noisy place. Very common.

Krispy said:

As a general rule of thumb, I always recommend that you do whatever the voices tell you.

For real though, I can often hear my name being called out when I'm in a noisy place. Very common.

They're not voices, they're just noises. No words are spoken.

Voices, noises, i hear 'em all time, but the thing is, i am even paying attention to them?
I think not, but then again they could make me aware of something.

JXC said:

However, I would like to know if it is possible to get rid of these sounds.

Ear plugs?

Consider yourself lucky not to have tinnitus.

@joe-ilya - a couple of drops of teflon oil should silence that fan.

I've never had anything like this before, nor did I heard of the phenomenon at all. I only read this thread yesterday evening, right before going to sleep (the thread had only 3 posts at the time). During the night, not even sure if I was awake or dreaming or in some in-between state of mind, I repeatedly heard murmurs and became convinced that I'm not alone in the room, yet when I checked it, I was alone, so the murmurs were either noises or nothing at all, but probably noises indeed, because there are commonly noises where I sleep. Strange how just knowing about existence of this seems to be infectious to the mind.

JXC said:

What is that a picture of?

I think it's from X-Files. Kid was receiving alien transmissions from the white noise on the TV and wrote them down. I suggest you fashion yourself a tinfoil hat.

Someone should make a Doom mod where doors and other mechanisms speak or howl randomly.

GreyGhost said:

Ear plugs?

Consider yourself lucky not to have tinnitus.

@joe-ilya - a couple of drops of teflon oil should silence that fan.

Tinnitus sucks. I have played LOUD guitar for almost 30 years and it gets annoying as hell sometimes. I haven't played in a band for about 8 months and it has gotten better. I just can't do ear plugs in a band setting.

I hear all sorts of fuckin weird noises in silence, I think they may have been there the entire time and can only be noticed when there is no other noise.

Is that normal? It isn't normal, is it.

mrthejoshmon said:

I hear all sorts of fuckin weird noises in silence, I think they may have been there the entire time and can only be noticed when there is no other noise.

It depends

BOO!

Ashstrodamus said:

Tinnitus sucks. I have played LOUD guitar for almost 30 years and it gets annoying as hell sometimes. I haven't played in a band for about 8 months and it has gotten better. I just can't do ear plugs in a band setting.

Meh, after 40 years the ringing still annoys me. Protip - if you're offered work in an underground power station, check that they've finished excavating the damn thing before accepting the job.

mrthejoshmon said:

Try adjusting your AFDB, it might be doing a sub-par job of blocking psychotronic waves. Failing that, it might be worth finding out if you have tinnitus.

Sometimes my ears just randomly ring for about a few seconds. Sometimes when I'm sleeping I sort of wake up and experiencing a deafening roar of silence, followed by limited motor skills and weird full body pressure. But that's probably something else or a recurring dream of being unable to move.

Being with someone with (possible) schizophrenia, he sometimes hears things, and on rare occasions sees things.

Most of the time, he'll hear his name being called, or footsteps. Sometimes he says the voice just talks about mundane things, like two bored friends hanging out. Rarely does it try to provoke him in any way (though he says in the past he had a different voice that did constantly). It's as if someone is standing behind him, talking.

This doesn't sound like that, this sounds very much like apophenia.

Listen to Mangle's static sound or Phantom Mangle and Nightmare's sounds. They sound sort of like what I'm hearing.