Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

Hello, New DOOMer here.

Guest MIND

New DOOMer here. I'm in my early 20's so it is with great sadness that I never got to experience the awesomeness of the original Dooms in the 90's with it's godly level creation and multiplayer goodness. The same foes for Quake and Unreal Tournament, but oh yes, soon a NEW era is going to be unleashed upon us.

While I know the Romero & Co who created the original Dooms weren't aboard with this one I have high hopes after salivating over gameplay and multiplayer trailers. This will be a game to enjoy for YEARS if I'm correct.

A new era of DOOM. Hopefully all of you amazing old school fans will be able to enjoy the new level creation system, gameplay, and I INTEND on making my own levels/wads for the game if it's possible? Is it?

I'm just stoked beyond belief for this shit. Hopefully this game receives critical acclaim and ID decides to reboot Quake because of this.

DOOM and DOOM fans deserve it and we've all been waiting for TEN long years since DOOM 3 came out.

Let's hope this DOOM does FPS gaming great justice.

OORAH!

Welcome. Yes you can make levels with the Snapmap thingy. I'm sure it will be a fun game, it probably won't have the same longevity but who knows.

I strongly suggest playing the Shareware Episode of Doom 1 without any mods or bs so you can experience what the game use to be.

I don't often see a new person taking an interest in both the old and new Doom. Cool. Was it because of Brutal Doom? lol.

If old school doom tickles your fancy check out the cacoawards and enjoy some great wads people made. Be aware most of them are difficult, long time fans can practically fist a cyderdemon to death... in more ways than one.

Guest MIND

No, I'm just depressed at how formulaic and shitty FPS games made in the 2010's are compared to the 90's when you had Quake, Doom, Unreal, Heretic, Hexen, and other goodies.

The only FPS games that are good are RAGE, Bulletstorm, the FEAR series, Shadow Warrior reboot, the new Wolfensteins, etc. I haven't even played the old DOOMs.

FPS gaming isn't that great these days.

MINDustry said:

I haven't even played the old DOOMs.

I really recommend you do before the new game comes out.
You'll probably enjoy all the little throwbacks and nods they'll end up doing even more.
Not to mention the first two games just being fantastic in general.
Definitely play Vanilla first, too.

MINDustry said:

I haven't even played the old DOOMs.

My friend, start playing Doom 1 shareware first. If you are thinking abt making your own maps, you really gotta play Doom a lot (way a LOT) and have to understand so many things. Lot of practice, patience is truly needed, as well as lot of doom mapping knowledge.

Making maps is really fun. So why wait anymore? Just playing old Dooms today, it's so fun. Good Luck :)

The game obviously has aged beyond industry standards of gameplay mechanics. I'm speaking of the lack of free look in vanilla Doom in particular.

I would recommend he downloads a modern sourceport like ZDoom, GZDoom or Zandronum and launch Doom with one of those (just make sure to set your keys how you want them and enable free look. The added options can also feel overwhelming). Otherwise the game and level design can still hold its own to this day.

Then after a few hours of playing I would recommend him Brutal Doom to add some flavor and variety, if he doesn't mind Mortal Kombat level of gore.

Like the others here I highly reccommend trying classic Doom. Here's a download for the first episode, which is free of course.

You can use Chocolate Doom to play it as it was on initial release. I hope you enjoy it, if you're a fan of those other oldies I'm sure you will. There are other source ports which add jumping, freelook, fancy lighting etc but most of them don't run the shareware version. It's quite inexpensive either way.

MINDustry said:

No, I'm just depressed at how formulaic and shitty FPS games made in the 2010's are compared to the 90's when you had Quake, Doom, Unreal, Heretic, Hexen, and other goodies.

The only FPS games that are good are RAGE, Bulletstorm, the FEAR series, Shadow Warrior reboot, the new Wolfensteins, etc. I haven't even played the old DOOMs.

FPS gaming isn't that great these days.

That's a hell of a statement there buddy. Let's analyze that.

You say modern FPSes are shitty compared to the 90s classics, and then profess that you haven't played half of these classics. You say old games are great like quake and unreal, and then say the only good FPSes are Bulletstorm, Rage, Fear, Etc?

Then you finish by saying FPS gaming isn't great these days, right after having posted that the new Doom game (an FPS!) is going to be awesome.

...what the fuck are you trying to say?

Well I only played these
Quake1
Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
HacX 1.2
Strife
Duke Nukem 3D
Blood(both Build games for a short time only)

(And a small amount on Wolf3D)
Never tried Heretic (well shareware for a bit) or Hexen since I'm not a big fan of magical scepters and mystical monsters (not a big fan, but a fan)

And also these
Quake 4
Doom 3

I think what MIN meant was that the SP part isn't good in modern FPS compared to classic ones.
And hopes Doom 2016 changes that.

1 - Welcome
2 - You can still play Classic Doom series online using Zandronum or any other Sourceport
3 - Yes, you'll be able to create custom maps for the New Doom using SnapMap

Voros said:

Never tried Heretic (well shareware for a bit) or Hexen since I'm not a big fan of magical scepters and mystical monsters (not a big fan, but a fan).

hey, why dont u try Heretic:Shadow of the Serpent riders ? 2 good episodes with previous 3 makes it pretty well done game. I hope you will enjoy if you try at least :)

Yousuf Anik said:

hey, why dont u try Heretic:Shadow of the Serpent riders ? 2 good episodes with previous 3 makes it pretty well done game. I hope you will enjoy if you try at least :)

Oh yeah, tried that too shareware. Just not a big fan of magic/fantasy games (Dota2, WoW,Skyrim,etc.).

welcome, and yes more cthulhu quake would be awesome!

i hope you will still play the original quake and doom(s), both are classic and you owe it to yourself.

this is the place for doom, quaddicted.com and quakeone.com for quake.

also, zdoom.org is a good place to check out. a lot of the guys here dont prefer zdoom, but if you just want to be able to play all doom engine wads, then you cant go wrong there. and they have decent forums as well.

Hello and greets, newcomer. Typically it's spelled as Doom and sometimes "DooM" if somebody wants to be fancy or a showoff. I personally will not get the marketing doofuses who started by all-capsing the title.

Glaice said:

Hello and greets, newcomer. Typically it's spelled as Doom and sometimes "DooM" if somebody wants to be fancy or a showoff. I personally will not get the marketing doofuses who started by all-capsing the title.

Well, shit, I've been writing it as "DOOM" all of this time...and I've been playing the game since the original!

Doom it is then...ugh, gonna be so hard to get used to writing it like that.

Glaice said:

I've literally always typed "DOOM", and I've actually never understood why some people type it like "DooM".
I just prefer it that way.

Yeah I don't know why anyone would type this

as DooM.

No really, even if the M is bigger, it's still a dumb way to captilise. You don't see metal fans going round saying they love MetallicA, right?

AirRaid said:

Yeah I don't know why anyone would type this

http://i.imgur.com/hp1u7uQ.png

as DooM.

No really, even if the M is bigger, it's still a dumb way to captilise. You don't see metal fans going round saying they love MetallicA, right?

Ehh, yeah I see that stupid shit sometimes actually

Its "Doom 2016". Not DOOM (although that is more informal, and fitting for some reason). And definitely not DooM (why? It looks so weird in a sentence).

It's not a sequel though. And it's certainly not a sequel of a sequel of a sequel.

They also wanted to call Doom 3 "Doom", but could not for some reason.

I know, right? Everyone knows the right capitalization is dOOm.
dOOm all the way, dOOm is forever!

AirRaid said:

It's not a sequel though. And it's certainly not a sequel of a sequel of a sequel.

They also wanted to call Doom 3 "Doom", but could not for some reason.

They could at least have used a subtitle/second title or whatever it's called, it was a thing some years ago.

MINDustry said:

New DOOMer here. I'm in my early 20's so it is with great sadness that I never got to experience the awesomeness of the original Dooms in the 90's with it's godly level creation and multiplayer goodness. The same foes for Quake and Unreal Tournament, but oh yes, soon a NEW era is going to be unleashed upon us.

While I know the Romero & Co who created the original Dooms weren't aboard with this one I have high hopes after salivating over gameplay and multiplayer trailers. This will be a game to enjoy for YEARS if I'm correct.

A new era of DOOM. Hopefully all of you amazing old school fans will be able to enjoy the new level creation system, gameplay, and I INTEND on making my own levels/wads for the game if it's possible? Is it?

I'm just stoked beyond belief for this shit. Hopefully this game receives critical acclaim and ID decides to reboot Quake because of this.

DOOM and DOOM fans deserve it and we've all been waiting for TEN long years since DOOM 3 came out.

OORAH!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Doom. I highly recommend you play the original games, Doom/Doom II/Final Doom and after that check out the Playstation 1 and Nintendo 64 versions of Doom. I've been a fan of the games since Doom first came out in 1993. Hopefully you enjoy it like the rest of us, if you ever get around to playing them let us know what you think!

MINDustry said:

OORAH!

If they decide to reboot QUake, they better not screw this game like they did with Quake Live which they dumbed down the game