• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiger

[DM] Morgenstern - Released!

Returning Readers

Acerbus_small.pngAiluropodaMelanoleuca_small.pngDarkStone_small.png

Unfaithful_small.pngInsomnium_small.pngAbandonedMiseryPretty_small.png

Morgenstern is a project that focuses on the Deathmatch game mode while utilizing GZDoom's OpenGL specific features, such as lighting, 3D sloped floors, and rendering optimizations. This project tries to reimagine the Deathmatch scene in Doom by importing some of the ideas from Quake 3 Arena, such as weapons that the players use and how the maps are structured. In addition, this project contains maps of various sizes. To elaborate further, some maps can fit eight players nicely while others requires a larger audience of at least sixteen players. Though, there does exist some maps that are designed for two players or four players.

Feel free to share your feedback, I will try to routinely check this topic while the project is still in active development.

Requirements:

Links:

Edited by Tiger : Version 1.01 Update Release

Crossposting reply.

Looks nice but does it play nice? Who is testing these maps?

2 things. #1 if some maps require 16 players to enjoy, they are bad maps. I forget who said it, I think it was Bob, but every dm starts with a duel. Where are you going to get 16 players other than fnf? I'll tell you right now that maps suited for even 10+ players are simply too big to enjoy, and you will not have people playing them. Aim for a majority of maps that aims to support 6-8, 8 on the upper end because those always tend to be the most enjoyed. Most pub dm games do not exceed 10-12 players at their height (fnf excepted).

#2 in part addition to this, if the maps are OGL only/recommended, I want to reinforce the idea of shrinking some because you've already cut down your potential playerbase by doing this. Are 3D slopes REALLY that necessary?

Wow this looks incredible. I love the look of the dark brick textures and the fog. I'd definitely like to playtest this when it's ready.

I'm inclined to agree with Decay here. The maps look very cool and Q3A-like, but I don't think designing maps to be ideal with 16 players is a great idea.

Given how the screenshots look, I wonder how feasible it would be to split the largest maps into multiple maps geared more towards 8 players, for example.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Decay, do keep in mind that not all maps require sixteen players, but only a couple. Though, I am going to look at some alternative solutions to address that concern. However, I do not intend on changing the maps in such a way that tries to automatically resize based on the players within the game. Not only is it way to expensive, but I don't really have that much time available. In addition, can you please elaborate on your second thought in regards to using OpenGL? Is there some features that are excessively taxing on users? I do have in mind on having the game automatically increase the sector references brightness if the end-user has dynamic lighting disabled[1]; as far as I can remember, dynamic lighting is the most resource intensive feature in GZDoom.

Tiger said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Decay, do keep in mind that not all maps require sixteen players, but only a couple. Though, I am going to look at some alternative solutions to address that concern. However, I do not intend on changing the maps in such a way that tries to automatically resize based on the players within the game. Not only is it way to expensive, but I don't really have that much time available. In addition, can you please elaborate on your second thought in regards to using OpenGL? Is there some features that are excessively taxing on users? I do have in mind on having the game automatically increase the sector references brightness if the end-user has dynamic lighting disabled[1]; as far as I can remember, dynamic lighting is the most resource intensive feature in GZDoom.

There are still many DM players who prefer to use software, or can't use OGL very well even with newer machines (my previous laptop could hardly run OGL despite having okay specs for a laptop for the time), and since 3d slopes don't appear in software, those people are automatically excluded from playing.

Note that I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T aim for OGL only, of course it is your project and you can do whatever you want, but if you want people to play the maps it would be a good idea to make it software compatible. By this I mean just make it playable in software without bugs breaking it; fancy ogl effects are definitely fine to use, those just don't need to necessarily seen by software users.

Also the more dynamics lights + more players = more lag = players leaving the server. That's just how it is.

FURTHERMORE why is the beta a few months away? Clearly there are maps that can and should be tested now; how are you supposed to know whether or not a map is worth continuing working on if it hasn't been tested?

As others have stated, these look gorgeous. I'd be happy to get in on some playtesting whenever you're ready!

Judging by screens looks really nice. I play software myself but i should dont mind enable ogl for this. I hope tiger you have some feeling make it good for DM pleasure, but i think you do. :D I really dont think it can ends like this http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6286. This project was simple just presenatation of zandronum engine but maps were really bad for some good DM matches.

The screenshots look very nice and I look forward to actually trying out a test version. I can definitely see a Quake influence and I think that's pretty neat. However, I know from some experience that quake influence is a bit of a double edged sword. Somethings work well and some not so well. The open spaces and heavy use of 3D doesn't always translate well into doom.

Another thing regarding the OGL only factor is that you really do lose a bit of your player base. For one reason or another some players just don't use OGL. But ultimately, it's your choice whether or not to have SW support.

There is literally nothing helpful to you here, bot testing isn't worth anything. If you want any worthwhile feedback, it would've been better to just have it open and able for people to test.

I've never played a 16 player Deathmatch nor am I familiar with OGL. But if these maps are going to be massive and intended for an unorthodox amount of FFA players, that sends off a red flag in my head. How is this going to affect the gameplay? I strongly recommend that you make each map consistent for amount of players. Don't make maps that are only suitable for 8 players of less while making other maps that can handle 16. In order for me to properly critique your maps in this project along with providing you with suggestions on how to improve them, I need to see the contents of the data file. The aesthetics look impressive and I can tell it is Quake inspired, but looks aren't all what makes a project good.

Give me some time to think over how I should maintain developmental builds, and also fix my compiler program - as it is currently held together by duct-tape (metaphorically). I don't have any idea when the builds will be available publicly, but I will post here and other threads (Zandronum, ZDoom, WIP, and DRDTeam) once available.

Again, thank you everyone for your feedback and I hope to continue hearing from all of you during the development phases :)

I hope others don't mind, but I have decided to post-pone any beta builds until I finally reach the last map milestone in the project. Statistically, it approximately takes me seven to fourteen days to finish each map. The current map I am working on - I am predicting to finish it next weekend (if all goes to schedule), and the very last bare-bone map could take another week after the previous map is declared finished (or ready for testing) -- although I can't fully say yet as it is also 3D Floor intensive.

I have been pushing the map development as highest\critical priority since December last year, everything else in the project - simply has to wait until all of the maps are finished. After the maps are finished, I'll put the compiler into a mild evolution phase and get it working for use of Git service instead of Subversion.

For your enjoyment while you all patiently wait (or grab your pitchforks?), please feel free to check out this video!

Superluigieth1 said:

Hi, what texture pack did you use?

I am currently using a mass variety of texture sets. Most of them come from:

If there is some texture that you specifically want, you can check out the texture documentation and find a texture pack that you desire.

Just letting everyone know that this project is still going strong. I only have one last map to build and complete, this project is officially at 90% completion rate. I am hoping to have an official beta build near the end of next month.

Decay said:

http://i.imgur.com/maIloYi.png
There is literally nothing helpful to you here, bot testing isn't worth anything. If you want any worthwhile feedback, it would've been better to just have it open and able for people to test.

You can upload it to doom.dogsoft.net and let others download it using any GetWAD .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You can upload it to doom.dogsoft.net and let others download it using any GetWAD .

Uhhhhhhhhh this isn't my wad. And I'm pretty sure literally everybody knows how to make a wad accessible. Tiger deliberately chose not to make it accessible, thus my post.

Decay said:

Tiger deliberately chose not to make it accessible, thus my post.

My compiler as it stands right now, doesn't really distinguish the archive data file names if it is a developmental build or a standard release build. The compiler I am using needs to be updated to work with Git instead of having dead Subversion code. I will address that issue soon enough. But the game server that Decay posted, is merely a developmental build that was and still is not yet ready for public beta means.

I promise, a beta build will be available soon :)

Hallo,

Just letting everyone know that I am targeting Monday 14.March.2016 for the first beta release.

TODO List:

• Finish working on the last map. <MILESTONE>
  • Update compiler to work with Bootless Star 1.5.4; implement Git functionality
  • Plan patches and beta rollouts; ease transitions with minimal effort for end-users.

What to expect in First Beta:Regards,

the_miano said:

EDIT: Does this .pk7 run with Zandronum?

Yes, provided that you use Zandronum 3.0 alpha. Here is a build that I used for the previous testings

Thank you everyone for testing the beta build; the final build might be released within the coming months.

I am pleased to announce that the B11-ND is now a requirement! Now we can have a fully immersive deathmatch environment that everyone can enjoy!

Since the last beta release, there has been innumerous changes within the project - which most came from the feedback that everyone has provided. I would like to give everyone a new modern beta build for everyone to test and share thoughts on its current state.

Some changes:

• Jumping pads no longer adds momentum towards the player.
  • Added Smooth Weapons
  • High-Def sounds
  • High-Res sprites [for some items]
  • Pretty jump pads
  • Pretty torches
  • Maps are now atmospheric
  • Generalized bug-fixes

Known Issues with GZDoom 2.1:
Known Issues with Zandronum 3.0:I might have to raise the requirements to GZDoom 2.2 and GZDoom 1.10, but I am not exactly quite sure yet.

I hope everyone enjoys this new beta build :)