Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
45th Parrallel

Subsector Zero

FDAs, recorded in Chocolate Doom. I was recording all 4 maps, but Chocolate Doom crashed during the 4th map and didn't save the FDA - I suspect it was the same "multipatch-midtexture" error which I reported to you some time ago. Also, pretty much all stairs in all maps have tutti-frutti bug, as well as other textures which aren't 128 units tall but you make them tile. The multi-sector lift at the start of MAP03 could have been relatively easily broken, too - see later parts of my demo. The maps had generally little ammo, which made them well challenging at times, but even more often tedious - for example the first map has Imps behind a window early on, whom you can easily ignore, but if you shoot your shells into them, you'll seriously lack ammo later in the map and it feels like a betray. And what made the maps specially tedious were the high numbers of Demons to waste ammo on, they aren't that fun to kill with any weapon, but particularly not with a pistol or a fist. I think the maps would get a lot better if you simply removed all Demons and Spectres from them, and compensated them by well placed Shotgunguys or Zombiemen. Aesthetics, layouts and architecture were OK up to pretty good, except for the abovementioned bugs.

map03 is busted because the red key pillar doesn't lower when triggered.

Didn't record anything for the first two maps, but here's a prBoom+ -cl 3 FDA for that map:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/f0wllrwsmp4dduj/subsectr03_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Anyway, was this tested in something below, say, ZDoom?

The underpinning gameplay concept appears to be subtle ammo starvation. Throughout these maps, I intuitively skipped as many optional-looking monsters when I had only a few shells to my name, but I ended up pistoling out a crapload of pinkies/spectres in the first two maps. Map01 requires a lot of pistol use no matter what, and I'd suggest adding more shells, because the lack thereof doesn't really up the challenge -- it only slows down the pace.

Okay I've gone through and fixed all the bugs and altered monster and ammo placement. Download Here

scifista42 said:

FDAs, recorded in Chocolate Doom. I was recording all 4 maps, but Chocolate Doom crashed during the 4th map and didn't save the FDA - I suspect it was the same "multipatch-midtexture" error which I reported to you some time ago.

I ran thru the map in choco doom and it didn't crash, if you could find where it crashed and let me know where I'll look into it

FDA for the 4th map. This one had more a lot ammo than the rest, a welcome change from the grinding, although I played evasively at the start before I realized the ammo balance would be more lenient. There didn't seem to be "finality" if that's what you were looking for. The baron at the end was too much of a nonthreat to really serve as a climax, especially considering his casual placement. It felt, however, like a map04 in a full episode!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9dn2wtdwa6rb1y3/subsectr04_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Would definitely suggest heavier use of hitscanners. Most of the spaces are too wide open for imps and pinkies to pose any threat, really. (The spectre encounter is a good setup that shows how much better they are in closed quarters.) But peppering around more shotgun guys could work -- there's enough health already in place to sustain that -- and zombiemen are always fun fodder once the chaingun is available, while still being capable of doing chip damage in high numbers.

Edit: Btw, I played the old version of the 4th map. Didn't return to the thread until now, unfortunately.

scifista42 said:

The crash happened when I got to this place while looking in this direction: http://i.imgur.com/wxkjgXH.png

I took a look at this and it does indeed crash, but however it only does so in that exact spot. Running around that room doesn't trigger it but standing in that spot always triggers the crash and im really unsure what is causing it

Also I fixed a few more frutti tutti bugs and altered monster placement a little bit more, the download link should be the same.

Thanks, this is going in my personal archive! (well the final version will) Just played through all 4 @ 38:47. Love the well-lit sectors and lots of zombiemen to kill. It felt like E1 but better, loved the outdoor rocky areas and the nice bright slime pools in map 2 I think it was.

Hi, nice maps, first two were kind of plain since they're pretty small and don't do a lot, the next two were much more interesting thanks to larger layout that allows for exploration. Pretty easy but I guess that's the E1 style. Is this finished or are you making more?

plums said:

Hi, nice maps, first two were kind of plain since they're pretty small and don't do a lot, the next two were much more interesting thanks to larger layout that allows for exploration. Pretty easy but I guess that's the E1 style. Is this finished or are you making more?

These were originally going to be for a E1 replacement but I lost interest so I released what was completed