Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Longest WAD: hope you have a googol years to spare

Doomkid said:

I'm interested how you determined it to be 39 years until that becomes passable?

Not 39 years, but 4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

"The Purgatory May Be"

If this is the road to heaven, I rather rest my soul in hell with my fellow demons forever.

I, uhh, played in ZDoom and ducked under the crusher before it went under the floor.

Because I'm a horrible person.

Demon of the Well said:

0/5 stars if the music track is anything but D_RUNNIN.

Nah, the track from "Ocatgony" from Rylehah (or however the fuck it's misspelled) would be better.

Obsidian said:

I, uhh, played in ZDoom and ducked under the crusher before it went under the floor.

Same :P

dobu gabu maru said:

Cool math stuff. I wonder how fast a TAS tool could simulate the Doom engine... would it be possible to even make a run for this?

If you could simulate running Doom for the age of the universe per every one nanosecond, it would still take longer than the age of the universe to beat the level.

Cynical said:

Not 39 years, but 4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

I didn't look closely enough, good lord..

dobu gabu maru said:

Cool math stuff. I wonder how fast a TAS tool could simulate the Doom engine... would it be possible to even make a run for this?

I think demos record 4 bytes a tic, regardless of input. That's 140 bytes a second, times 1.2e47, equals 1.68e49 bytes or 1.68 x 10^31 exabytes. (one exabyte = 1 million terrabytes or 1 billion gigabytes.)

I can't get good figures on how much storage space exists in the world. This wikipedia article says that "The combined space of all computer hard drives in the world was estimated at approximately 160 exabytes in 2006. As of 2009, the entire World Wide Web was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes. [...] Seagate Technology reported selling a total capacity of 330 exabytes of hard drives during the 2011 Fiscal Year."

Let's start with 2006 and double it every year? That puts us very roughly at 40960 EB, call it 40000 or 4e04 EB for simplicity. That means we need 4.2e26 times as much storage as we have in the world right now to store that demo. However if this trend continues, and assuming I've done the math right, this much storage should be available in about 89 years, far sooner than it would take to run the demo in real time. Of course that's using all available storage that exists in the world, but I'm sure there'll be nothing important on it anyhow.

plums said:

1.68e49 bytes

Multiply this by 8 and you get about 1e50 bits. The earth is made up of approximately 1e50 atoms. Coincidence?

Pfft. Did it in 13 seconds.

Okay, I noclipped, but I couldn't be arsed to wait, alright.

Linguica said:

Hi, I made a WAD that takes approximately 4 * 10^39 years to beat. Speedruns welcome!

Couldn't wobble gliding or maybe even simple wallrunning be used to bypass the obstacle?

scifista42 said:

Couldn't wobble gliding or maybe even simple wallrunning be used to bypass the obstacle?

Wobble: no idea how that's supposed to work. Wallrun: close, but no cigar. Your best bet is to skip the activation linedef, but good luck with that.

dew said:

Wobble: no idea how that's supposed to work.

Clip through a 1-sided linedef into the void and press the exit from there.

dew said:

Your best bet is to skip the activation linedef, but good luck with that.

The map could have been made foolproof against skipping activation linedef by putting a closed door into the player's way, and including one additional crusher activated by the same activation linedef, which would crush a barrel (or a monster) in a dummy sector to push another barrel (or go itself) over a "W1 Door Open Wait Close" linedef action to temporarily open the door for the player to pass through.

Wait 4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years in a room, ok...

But wait 4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years in a room made of startan walls, that's a bit mean.

If you reread the glide thread, you'll find that void glides require very specific architecture to work and there's nothing here to support the idea. As for the skip, I'm not ruling it out as impossible, but given the short space to build up speed (whopping 16 units!), even the wallrun might not help. So I'd say foolproofed until proven otherwise.

Obsidian said:

Same here, beat it in one second that way

Turns out there's no MAPINFO in the wad that would've allowed Ling to add the NOCROUCH property

Dude, cheat codes don't get recorded. Your demo shows you turning around, firing the pistol once, then backpedalling into the crusher wall.

This thread keeps on giving.

Oops, I actually didn't use cheatcodes but modified Linguica's wad to add the rocket launcher, but forgot to give the link to the new wad. Gimme a minute and I fix that

The text file explains (emphasis mine)

The level has 30 1-unit-wide crushers forming a wall between the player and the exit. Each crusher has a height specifically tuned so that it takes a multiple of four seconds to go through a complete cycle. The first crusher requires 2*4 seconds, the second crusher requires 3*4 seconds, the third crusher requires 5*4 seconds, and so on through the first 30 prime numbers, all the way up to 113*4 seconds.

I'm interested to know how the crusher heights were derived. I know crushers move from their initial ceiling height to eight units above their floor height (hence the ceiling heights all being +8 for ease of working). But if the times are all some prime multiple of four seconds, why aren't the floor heights all some prime multiple of minus 140 units? (140 == 4*TICRATE, crushers move at CEILSPEED i.e. one unit per gametic)

On further examination it seems each floor height, subtracted from one, is a prime multiple of 71, or in other words for each prime p the corresponding ceiling travel distance is 1-71p. So I guess there must be some off-by-ones in the crusher code?

I wanted to see how pretty those crushers all looked with them all in differing motion but even that took too long so I just exited the map, heh.