Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FTM

New Doom trailer in Facebook page

I think the pinky demon looks pretty ridiculous myself, and not in the charming way that's characteristic of Doom monsters. They could've done a literal 1-to-1 sprite recreation and it would've looked better.

That's not to say that I'm one of those mongoloids that keeps bitching about how it's "not ~DooM~ enough". It's really just a more aesthetically pleasing look:

Here's one picture of some concept art that you can find in the old GameInformer announcement video.

I actually like the new Pinky a lot, but I really, really like this design.

sleepii said:

why all the d3 hate?

* Boring
* Repeatitive
* Simplistic
* Disappointing
* Flashlight not attached to weapon or suit

With all that, i dont even like to replay the game .

sleepii said:

why all the d3 hate? I genuinely loved the game when it came out and I had a chance to play it. I fear this is how people will be talking about the new doom when the next one gets released. Doom 3 in many ways was also a huge leap forward (in technology, art and atmosphere)

I fully agree to that. Many people will be disappointed by the new Doom because it will not be exactly like the old Doom1/2.

And that 3D recreation of the pinky sprite looks maybe technically impressive, but it's still not a good creature design. You like it because it's nostalgic.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

This shit is why i avoid visiting such topics .

So many comments boil down to "but it looks like the original sprites". If you just want it to look exactly like the old Doom, but in modern 3D, then you just want nostalgia.

Doom1/2 is great, but artistically it's a mixed bag. There are some great creature designs, like the Arch-vile and the Cacodemon (yes I know, the latter is practically borrowed from D&D), simple but effective designs like the Lost Soul, and then you have bad designs, like the Imp and Pinky sprites. They just look cartoonish, unproportional and goofy.

The Civ said:

Here's one picture of some concept art that you can find in the old GameInformer announcement video.

http://i.imgur.com/7rHURd2.png

I actually like the new Pinky a lot, but I really, really like this design.

It looks better on paper. I didn't like the one that was shown on trailer but it was only seconds in bad quality footage, maybe it's not that bad in the end, I'll have to wait and see.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

* Boring
* Repeatitive
* Simplistic
* Disappointing
* Flashlight not attached to weapon or suit

With all that, i dont even like to replay the game .

So basically,
Doom 3 = Halo Combat Evolved.

What's with all this pinky hate?
It LITERALLY the classic pinky, in hi-res 3D model form.

Voros said:

What's with all this pinky hate?
It LITERALLY the classic pinky, in hi-res 3D model form.

No it isn't , it looks like a WoW pet .

Enforcer said:

New Imps do look amazing! ! ! ! They really look like the original Imps!

Original IMPs are brown, It was much better when it looked like this :

Goddammit, I really, really like both imp designs. The original is scarier looking, but the new one is more inventive. I'm crossing my fingers that we somehow get both variants...

Tetzlaff said:

But the classic Pinky looks stupid, god forgive me.

Yeah kinda. Arms coming out of his head, mouth taking up 2/3 of its body...it looks good as a sprite but it's pretty silly. I hope when we see the 2016 demon in action it seems less cartoony.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Original IMPs are brown, It was much better when it looked like this :
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/702085Sanstitre.png

I liked this design as well. .BUT! Their heads are just like the Hell Knight's head. .only smaller. .The new ones are light brown. .The ones in the E3 reveal were greyish greenish. .The new ones really do look like the originals. .the face. .the eyes. .

GoatLord said:

Yeah kinda. Arms coming out of his head, mouth taking up 2/3 of its body...it looks good as a sprite but it's pretty silly.

You've been hitting too many blunts.

The pinky's neck juts forward and slightly down from his shoulders. He's super hunched most of the time. It looks a bit weird from dead front which is how you mostly see him in-game, but the design isnt that bad.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I was thinking of that hunched part as like, the very back of his head. It's a really, really good design for the era and for the limited pixel space.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

No it isn't , it looks like a WoW pet .

I love how whenever people draw comparisons between the demons in the new doom and enemies from other contemporary games its always mostly either halo or starcraft

world of fucking warcraft, how's about that

Almonds said:

world of fucking warcraft, how's about that

Fans care about Unique art-style more than you do possibly :P

New enemy shooting lazer, wonder why wasn't this mentioned before (not in the new trailer) . (idtech666 :P )