Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Half-Life 2's jumping mechanics are weird

A fairly last-minute addition in development, Half-Life 2 has different jumping mechanics than Half-Life 1 and other GoldSrc/Source games.

Jump height was reduced by half, gravity was reduced to 75%, a mid-air step-up was enabled (as opposed to being ground-only), and some kind of auto-crouch when jumping into cramped spaces.

I think I can see where they were going with it, at least as far as the mid-air step-up and auto-crouch is concerned, but the way they went about it makes it feel floaty and squatty.

Has anyone else noticed this, and do they dislike it as much as I do?

What's to dislike on a mid-air step-up and an auto-crouch when jumping into cramped spaces? I haven't played the game, but these features sound good.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

More than just the jumping mechanics of Half Life 2 are broken, I'm sure you've seen the world record for Highway 17

Didn't the change of jumping mechanics break the half life remake in source engine, I remember never being able to get past one of the platforming levels. Still a better port then PS2 though

thedeadgmr said:

Didn't the change of jumping mechanics break the half life remake in source engine, I remember never being able to get past one of the platforming levels. Still a better port then PS2 though

You should try the Dreamcast port. Much better than the PS2 version.

Danfun64 said:

What was wrong with the ps2 port?

For me it just ran at a terrible framerate and had piss poor graphics.

Chu said:

I've been meaning to try it, can't find my old dreamcast though

Never really felt that way about HL2, nor did I notice anything different.

Just felt like more HL1 to me.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Chu said:

I think that's debatable, but only because the controls on the DC port are kind of crazy (hold left-trigger and press up on the D-pad for alt-fire if I remember right?)

Fisk said:

I think that's debatable, but only because the controls on the DC port are kind of crazy (hold left-trigger and press up on the D-pad for alt-fire if I remember right?)

Actually that doesn't sound too ridiculous (compared to other pre-halo fps)

HL2 has an auto crouch jump feature, that might be what you're experiencing.

I think it was added when they ported over the engine code from the console versions. Could be wrong.

It is there to help you reach areas that require crouch jumping. Because I guess gamers these days are too lazy to hold two buttons while jumping.

Luckily Black Mesa doesn't have that