Find results in...
Linguica

Railgun?

Railgun in Doom 3?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Railgun in Doom 3?

• Hooray, I <3 railguns
    • BOO NO RAILGUN IN DOOM DIE

I don't think the railgun has a place in Doom 3. It seems like too precise a weapon for Doom demon-blasting action.

I never liked that weapon, in any game.
Everytime I have the railgun in Quake 3, I quickly swith to a different weapon. I hate it..

To me, the Railgun is a "sniper rifle" of sorts as it gives you precision shots. I think also that it has no place in Doom 3's single player aspect, but maybe as a DM only weapon. It COULD be good in SP if it is introduced late in the game or something...but still, I probably wouldn't use it in SP anyway. Railguns are gay.

niguel said:

What if it is a new kind of rapid-action-rail-spread-machinegun?

What the fuck? They said Railgun, not "Lamer Gun".

The railgun is not gay, it´s one of the best weapon inventions in shooter history! It´s precise like a sniper rifle, but designed to prevent camping because it´s rail trail gives away the snipers location. Recently Unreal Tournament 2003 copied the idea of the Q2/Q3 railgun and added the trail feature to it´s new sniper rifle, the so called lighting gun. Just to show you the impact of the railgun idea.

But nevertheless I voted against a railgun in Doom3. Why? Because I want my next generation railgun in Quake4, and therefore not in Doom3, because when something is used to much I get sick of it. Also it isn´t really needed in singleplayer when there already is another relatively precise weapon in your arsenal. Maybe the pistol already is quite precise, or another weapon, who knows.

Hold your horses everyone!

Most of the basic id-style weapons (shotgun, railgun, rocket launcher and so on) will be available in Doom III, according to Carmack.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a railgun in D3 - the part where the railgun was mentioned was just an example of the basic id weapons.

Of course I'm praying that the railgun wont be in Doom 3.
1) The weapon never meant anything special to me as I rarely play DM and the railgun is a definitive DM weapon.
2) I'm one of these people who thinks that the railgun has a specific Quake feel to it and that it wouldn't fit in with Doom 3's typical close-quarters combat gameplay.
3) I would prefer to have it reserved for Q4

Plasma rifle, instead of Railgun. I think Doom III is no sniping game, it may have a bit of sneaking and avoiding true deaths, but no, in the name of the Higher Deity, no sniping.

I think you're all missing something very obvious.

If you don't like the Doom 3 railgun, then DON'T USE IT!

NiGHTMARE said:

Pffff... what´s the point with this argument?

Some weapon ideas just suck and should have been better left out of games. Example: Q3´s BFG10k, a totally lame noob weapon that destroys the otherwise excelllent weapon balance in Q3. No serious Q3 custom map features the BFG, because when it´s included in a map, gameplay becomes very predictable (everyone running for the BFG). And it doesn´t help at all when someone says "if you don´t like it, don´t use it".

Doom 3 is aimed at single player, not DM, which I'm afraid makes your entire argument rather irrelevant.

No-one's saying that the railgun is going to be a super powerful weapon that will ruin the game, they're just saying that they don't like it. To which I again say, the solution is obvious: don't use it.

I just made that example to show that some weapons just suck and should better have been left out. You are right that the gameplay in singleplayer is very different to the MP gameplay, but you still want a good weapon arsenal in SP where every weapon has it´s function and fits in the whole theme etc. The point with the railgun is not that it would mess up the gameplay, but it would probably not fit in the Doom3 theme. Unless it´s designed very different, maybe...
It´s like you don´t want a crossbow in Doom3, don´t you? ;)

The railgun is the coolest weapon ever. If you don't like it for whatever reason (probably still clinging on the earlier Dooms), then don't use it.

Once apon a time, I would have said that a railgun in doom 3 would be a bad idea. then I played AvP2. at the very end of the marine campain, you pick up a railgun, and use it to aid your escape from the hive. You run along a leage picking off aliens one buy one as you bolt for the dropship. One of my favorits bits in the whole game. so I say: bring on the rail gun!

NiGHTMARE said:

I think you're all missing something very obvious.

Dumbest argument ever.
Real Doom fanatics (like me) want Doom 3 to have the perfect Doom arsenal - that means that every single weapon should be cool to use. Half of us here do NOT think that the railgun is cool in singleplayer, especially not in Doom's close-quarter type of gameplay.
Also, I remember getting pissed at the railgun in Q2 sp, because it was simply boring to use.
The railgun is a cool, DM specific weapon, but sucks in sp.

I find it disappointing that id are throwing the possibility to come up with a new, interesting weapon instead of the same old railgun (which has never been anywhere near as cool as the other standard id weapons) away.

And besides, Quake 4 is coming out sometime after Doom 3 - I'm sure that it will have a railgun for you railgun fanatics to be satisfied with.

This is what I think John really sad:

"Most of the basic id-style weapons will be available in Doom III"

The part "(shotgun, railgun, rocket launcher and so on)" was just something the journalist mentioned as a comment to "basic id-styled weapons" imo

And this was also the only part that is third hand info, so a lot of the stuff can have been added/removed.... so I won’t trust it.

I don't think we will be seeing a Railgun in Doom III

FuryZ said:

This is what I think John really sad:

"Most of the basic id-style weapons will be available in Doom III"

The part "(shotgun, railgun, rocket launcher and so on)" was just something the journalist mentioned as a comment to "basic id-styled weapons" imo

And this was also the only part that is third hand info, so a lot of the stuff can have been added/removed.... so I won’t trust it.

I don't think we will be seeing a Railgun in Doom III

Bingo! FuryZ gets an 'A' for his outstanding ability to point things out in a way that people understand unlike the stupid Mod who always gets misunderstood.

dsm's worthless drivel that got completely overlooked or misundertood:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Most of the basic id-style weapons (shotgun, railgun, rocket launcher and so on) will be available in Doom III, according to Carmack.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a railgun in D3 - the part where the railgun was mentioned was just an example of the basic id weapons.

dsm said:

Real Doom fanatics (like me) want Doom 3 to have the perfect Doom arsenal - that means that every single weapon should be cool to use.

ROFL, you run around with the non-berserk fist in Doom 1 and 2 a lot then, do you?

EDIT: and the BFG for that matter - that weapon ruins Doom 1 and 2, Quake 2 and Quake 3 more than the railgun possibly could.

dsm said:

• Most of the basic id-style weapons (shotgun, railgun, rocket launcher and so on) will be available in Doom III, according to Carmack.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a railgun in D3 - the part where the railgun was mentioned was just an example of the basic id weapons

The way you interpreted that statement was a bit vague. Well, I can't assure if this either is the words from Carmack directly or not, could be from the 3rd hand, as FuryZ said. I have noticed the key word of he mentioned, "Most of", but "railgun" has also been displayed obviously within parenthesis in the list according to it. Therefore, I thought it was for final. Now, it's a relief hearing from Waldon's post in News section saying the existence of "railgun" in Doom 3 isn't decided yet.

Nevertheless, I would never want a railgun appearing in Doom 3, no matter in SP or MP. After all, railgun is not that efficient weapon to be using in a SP-based FPS game, all the villains aren't as smart, strategic, or hidden as human, they are not that hard to be targetted. Since railgun is a precise-aimming type of weapon, it is not really needed to be equipped in Doom 3, imo.

I don't really care for now. I don't know how it looks/works, so I don't have any conclusive proof to make a judgement.

A "railgun" could be absolutely anything, from a overpowered single-bullet shotgun up to a linear accelerator.

err, no railgun. it's too specific to quake and also there is no point to a railgun in small areas. this makes no sense.

Ultimate Demon said:

that kills more than 5 enemies with one shot

Unlike the BFG9000 you mean?

NiGHTMARE said:

ROFL, you run around with the non-berserk fist in Doom 1 and 2 a lot then, do you?

Why do you think they even PUT the berserk pack into Doom? The fist is just your basic last-resort weapon, when powered up it becomes a deadly addition to your arsenal.

I can see it all now.

DOOM III Weapon list:

1. Hyperblaster
2. Axe
3. Shotgun
4. Double Axe
5. Nailgun
6. Railgun
7. Triple Axe
8. Assault Rifle
9. Thunderbolt

In the q&a session posted by Tom's Hardware, this page specifically, nowhere does Carmack mention a rail gun. I think we can just chalk this up to a bad reporter. And then forget all about it.

The railgun ruined the deathmatch. It turned all modern shooters into an aim contest. Its one of the main reasons why quake 3 very often sucks. If id is smart they wont put it in. And i hope raven doesnt put it in quake 4 MP either

even if you dont choose to use it, some one else will, and they can only make so many weapons.

Now you understand why I despise above all others the Team Fortress snipers. One shot kills all, no matter how much armor you have. And when they use that blasted autoaim cheat, they become infintely more annoying. It is so satisfying to go up there and whack those #$%@#$%!@#$%!!! snipers with the medikit and watch them die slowly. They're even worse in CustomTF, because they can buy tons of armor and health.

perhaps not a chainsaw, but something akin to the chainsaw replacement found in freedoom