Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altazimuth

Vulkan 1.0 launched

Vulkan is Here!
Khronos launched the Vulkan 1.0 specification on February 16th, 2016 and Khronos members released Vulkan drivers and SDKs on the same day. There's a press release, overview presentation, the 1.0 spec is on GitHub, there's a quick reference online, and other online reference pages. Also there are drivers already, as well as demos and open source samples.

What this means for the Doom community I'm unsure, but it would be really cool to see VZDoom or any other port derivative that uses it. From a general end user perspective, it should mean that games in future are more stable and will rely on the programmers coding the game, as opposed to the driver voodoo that OpenGL often requires.

Csonicgo said:

If your GPU supported OpenGL 4.5, it's likely that it can support Vulkan.

What about 4.4 :P .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

What about 4.4 :P .

Implied with 4.5 support.

From NVIDIA: "The NVIDIA architectures that will support Vulkan will be Fermi (GeForce 400 and 500), Kepler (GeForce 600 and 700, Tegra K1) and Maxwell (GeForce 900, TITAN X, Tegra X1)."

the beta driver i recieved said it supports my GPU ?
EDIT : The wiki page says

Initial specifications state that Vulkan will work on hardware that currently supports OpenGL ES 3.1 or OpenGL 4.X and up.[32] As Vulkan support will require new graphics drivers, this does not necessarily imply that every existing device that supports OpenGL ES 3.1 or OpenGL 4.X will have Vulkan drivers available.

This means 4.0 and above are supported .

Gez said:

Are there Vulkan drivers for old hardware that was sold in 2008?

Nope. Any graphics card made before 2012 currently does not have any official support for Vulkan.

For nVidia, support is for both Kepler and Maxwell cards. I have a feeling you can probably use Vulkan on Fermi cards as well, considering nVidia still releases drivers for them. It just doesn't seem to have support (yet) on a official scale.

Source (and full list of cards supported): https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

For AMD, support is for GCN cards only.

Source (and full list of cards supported): http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Vulkan-Beta.aspx

For Intel, (only if you're using integrated graphics) that's the Core 5000 and 6000 series. Currently Linux only.

Source: http://blogs.intel.com/evangelists/2016/02/16/intel-open-source-graphics-drivers-now-support-vulkan/