Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTX1996

A minor, yet very annoying issue with GZDoom Builder

First off, I apologize if the title of the thread isn't exactly very informative, but I really don't know how else I would explain this. Whenever I try to drag anything in GZDoom Builder (such as a vertex, linedef, or thing) it'll register that I have right-clicked on it, but won't drag it. If I let go of the right mouse button, it'll then open up the editing menu for that specific object. It doesn't happen very often when editing maps on my desktop PC, but very frequently on my laptop.

Is this just a general bug with GZDoom Builder, or is it that my PC can't handle it?

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. So, you're for example editing in Linedef Mode, you press right mouse button on a particular linedef and keep holding it, move the mouse while still holding the button, but the linedef refuses to move? And the same may happen for Sectors when you're in Sector Mode, or for vertices when you're in Vertice Mode?

When you try to move any map geometry, its vertices automatically try to snap to grid by default. If you're using a very wide grid while being relatively highly zoomed to the object you want to move, it might not move because it's already snapped to the nearest grid coordinate and further grid coordinates are far off the screen.

Right-click dragging sometimes stops registering as dragging and instead is just a right click, so it results in the properties context menu appearing.

Gez said:

It's a very old issue that has been there since DB2.

Right-click dragging sometimes stops registering as dragging and instead is just a right click, so it results in the properties context menu appearing.

Okay, so it's just Doom Builder then. However, I want to know why this bug occurs more often when I'm editing maps on my laptop than my desktop PC. Does it have something to do with my CPU and/or my graphics card? I doubt the graphics card part should matter since I'm editing in 2D mode.

Yea this is something that I constantly have to deal with, and it has been around ever since I've used DB2. I was hoping it would have been fixed after I moved to GZDB recently, but nope. I've never been able to figure out how to replicate it on demand though, so making a bug report is difficult. The way I get around it these days is to pop in and out of 3D mode really quickly. After that things go back to normal.

I think it actually got worse after I switched to GZDB. It's like no less than a half of my dragging attempts fail.

It outlines what I think is a serious design problem within Doom Builder - it has several functions assigned to just one button, and you can't separate them. You can't just start drawing on a linedef - its properties will be opened instead. And good luck aiming at a vertex for the same purpose.

That seems to be more related to hardware and/or mouse driver than GZDB or DB2.

For example,
when I click quickly on an entity, then the context window pops up, however
when I click and hold, then I can drag the entity around and place it whereever, without the context window popping up.

You need to re-enter the desired mode every time to start drawing again. Although it's certainly better than having to place a vertex and zoom in on it. DB2 wasn't very friendly towards quick drawing of shapes connected to each other.

Da Werecat said:

You need to re-enter the desired mode every time to start drawing again.

You don't.

Is it a recent change? Because my version returns to whatever standart mode it was in before one of the drawing modes was selected.

@Warecat - I have experienced the OP's issue many times. Probably once an hour? Which is such a minor issue. All it does is opens the properties window. One click and I'm back to where I was, total time wasted: 2 seconds max.

I've never had to switch in and out of modes after that, so I think you're misunderstanding the issue; and perhaps are experiencing a different bug?

Re-read MTX1996 & Gez's posts, and you'll see all that they mean is a context window appears instead of the selected lines/vertices being dragged it opens the properties window instead.

@MaxED, if per chance you did want to look into this, the only consistent part to the bug I experience is it only happens to me when dragging in vertices mode. I believe but cannot confirm that is also seems to only happen when I have a large number of lines/vertices selected to drag.

No, this behavior wasn't changed. "You need to re-enter" kinda implies something a user needs to do, not something, which happens automatically.

Dragonfly said:

I've never had to switch in and out of modes after that, so I think you're misunderstanding the issue; and perhaps are experiencing a different bug?

I mentioned a different issue. I know what OP meant.

MaxED said:

No, this behavior wasn't changed. "You need to re-enter" kinda implies something a user needs to do, not something, which happens automatically.

I need to click on a drawing mode icon again if I want to make more than one drawing. What happens automatically is the editor returns to Sectors Mode, or Things Mode, whatever was active before.

Whatever, it's not a big deal compared to what was before.

Don't be all defensive, @MaxED, @Gez, @The gang.

You are afterall making things for us to work with, are you not?

gemini09 said:

Don't be all defensive, @MaxED, @Gez, @The gang.

You are afterall making things for us to work with, are you not?

While I agree there's no need for hostility and such, Da Warecat made no indication it was a separate issue to the one the MTX1996 has. Da Warecat essentially hijacked the thread! :P

I apologize. I've just felt that the replies sometimes have been very blunt in tone in some of these contexts, but I guess that could just be me. Pardon my blurp..! :-}

I find what the OP said does happen a few times each editing session but it doesn't really bother me much and it mainly just happens when I'm moving vertices. I guess I'm just so used to it. I really can't say I've ever had the need to change the X or Y position of a vertice without just dragging it around.

MTX1996 said:

Whenever I try to drag anything in GZDoom Builder it'll register that I have right-clicked on it, but won't drag it.

Fixed (hopefully).

Da Werecat said:

I need to click on a drawing mode icon again if I want to make more than one drawing.

Not any more (made this a toggleable option).

Hey that's awesome MaxEd, thank you! I wish I was able to find a way to reproduce it so I could have reported it to you properly (or better yet to CodeImp, before GZDB was even a thing). But if it pops up again in this next update, I will make a point to let you know.