Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

MAYHEM1500: The Finishing

Old thread here: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/72526-mayhem-1500-34-maps-playtesting-and-stuff-this-month/

Basically it's been far too long and this is disorganized AF without a leader so I'm taking over for TMD (he's aware of this). I started a new thread to clean things up a bit, feel free to consult the old thread for any feedback you MAY have missed HA HA im sorry

latest compile

Realistically not much is left to fix, although one thing which comes to mind is an inconsistency with a midtex fence in PrBoom+ which needs addressing across the board, so if anyone used that fence heads up.

Glad to see that this will finally be completed. Also will be changed the order of the maps?

excellent, thanks for wrapping this up marcaek. as far as i'm aware my map just needs MP starts (and probably some extra MP items), hopefully it isn't necessary for me to do this myself haha.

weird to think i made that map back in may

heh, i'm surprised to see my map made it past the:

TheMionicDonut said:

Also, quality control may be more of a thing this year. We will see how submissions go :]

My map was kinda the product of running out of enthusiasm to finish it and consequently pooping 2015 monsters onto it to be cute, without even balancing it.

Not that i'm disappointed to see my map here, but if you're looking to cut out some maps (it looks like there are 34 maps in there), You should certainly feel no shame in cutting mine out.

I checked my map and the midfence texture was okay, so you might not need to worry about that map. Unless it displays wrong for other people.

^ The problem is that it displays differently in different ports. Particularly ZDoom-based ports versus PrBoom-plus.

gaspe said:

Glad to see that this will finally be completed. Also will be changed the order of the maps?

Not likely, unless someone has a good suggestion.

scifista42 said:

^ The problem is that it displays differently in different ports. Particularly ZDoom-based ports versus PrBoom-plus.

Ahh, dammit, I keep forgetting to check things in PrBoom. It's displayed incorrectly there all right. How does it get fixed?

I don't know if it's of any help to you, but I did a little digging around in Doombuilder and found the offending texture "ADEL_Z62" present in the following levels:

• MAP06 "Castle Bathory" by Impie in sector 109.
  • MAP10 "1500 BC" by Marcaek in sectors 29 and 45.
  • MAP32 "Sacrificial Circle" by Phobus in sector 14.
I hope this helps a bit. Unless you already knew it in which case I'll crawl back into my hole :) I can help with realigning the textures if someone else can figure out fixing the offset stuff.

Thanks a ton Chris, I managed to fix the fence very easily once I thought about it for 5 seconds heh

I'm working on including updates and making a new build right now, so if you have any updates get them in asap. I'll likely be sending out PMs to those who don't post here as a precaution over the next few days.

Once the new build is ready I'll probably host a survival session over on Zandronum as a (hopefully) final test run, with any luck we'll get this out before May comes again :P

Marcaek said:

I believe this is the cause. The texture will probably need to be adjusted and all instances of the midtex fence in maps realigned.

I'm not sure how I can realign them that they won't display incorrectly. I tried toggling "lower unpegged" and readjusting manually, but the issue persists when I run the wad in prboom...OUTSIDE of testing. Somehow when I test it within doombuilder using prboom, the texture is fine.

EDIT: nevermind, I found it!

Hey, watching Dime stream this WAD and I love it!

I have a request - could somebody please provide me with the MIDI for Map 30 (I believe? The last one.)
It is Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence in MIDI format and I would be so thankful to get my hands on it!

Enjoyed this quite a bit. Love the switching between gothic style and bp's oil spill style.

-Marcaek's map 10 should come later imo, one of the most difficult maps in the set.
-Map 18 and 31 midis were cancer.
-Map 1 midi is insanely loud.
-Not sure I was a fan of that double archvile trap cannonball haha, the switch/key induces you to go below into potentially an instant death. This happened to me the first time where they both blocked off the stairs and I was completely fucked.
-My personal favorite map was 19.
-Are you supposed to be able to jump out of that window at the start of 22?

Great maps all! Keep em coming.

Deadrust said:

I have a request - could somebody please provide me with the MIDI for Map 30 (I believe? The last one.)
It is Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence in MIDI format and I would be so thankful to get my hands on it!

I google searched for "free midis" and found a couple websites, and then basically:
1. I searched for a melody-rich heavy metal midi;
2. opened the file in a midi editor and changed the awful midi-guitar sound to some different instrument that sounded better.

To save you the trouble of downloading Slade3 and ripping the midi, here.

Also, it's kinda interesting to see my map kinda almost fits as a map30, despite being half-baked and silly. FYI, at some point in the distant future i'll probably flesh the map out and publish it in separate mapset, along with some other unfinished maps of mine currently suffering a similar fate that i need to finish.

Spoiler

map spoiler: also, did you know you can simply walk up onto the cliffside and simply walk to the exit instead of herding the cacos and going to the intended exit? it's something i never bothered to fix :)

Dime said:

-Map 31 midis were cancer.
-Map 1 midi is insanely loud.

Ok, i'll see to fix them with new music... Also how about using the d_E1M7 music for MAP31?

If anyone could lower the volume on map01's midi that would be appreciated. I'll add D_E1M7 for 31 and we'll see how that goes, suggestions welcome for 18

Let me just plaster this here too so that it does not get forgotten... the following maps are missing coop starts: 3, 6, 12, 17, 22, 23, 25, 30, 32