Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plasma Gun

What resolution do you play Doom at?

I use ZDoom these days and I intentionally play at a low resolution -- 640x360. It just looks more like the Doom I remember from years ago, adds character.

How about you all?

For me, quite possibly just because I've gotten used to it over time, resolution 640x480 ideally fits to Doom's software renderer and Doom's general design/aesthetic. So that's my preference, and no lesser and no higher resolution feels truly right and comfortable to me.

Fullscreen 640x480 or 800x600. I've never found the need to go higher than that, really.

LkMax said:

Oh, I get it, you guys compensate the lack of detail in Doom with lower resolutions.

I find the game looks weird when it's super, super crisp. It really doesn't matter what level of sector based detail is present. I play in ultra-high res on Risen3D but that's the exception.

1280x720 or lower 16:9 resolutions because i can, Gzdoom.

When playing other ports i stick to lower resolutions, 640x480 and such.

Depends on renderer. Software mode I'll go as high as 640x480 and then stretch the window, since as far as I'm concerned the lighting for this renderer looks shit at high resolutions; the distance fade in particular loses its low-definition grit and ends up looking like nothing but a bunch of horizontal bands of increasing darkness:

320x200 at 1440x900 fullscreen.

640x480 at 1440x900 fullscreen.

1440x900 fullscreen.

Even at 640x480 the banding can look horribly obvious at times.

OpenGL/other hardware renderers, then I'll go to whatever resolution since this whole banded lighting distance fade shit isn't a problem.

Doomkid said:

I find the game looks weird when it's super, super crisp. It really doesn't matter what level of sector based detail is present. I play in ultra-high res on Risen3D but that's the exception.

I don't know exactly why but I also think a bit lower resolution looks better for Doom. I still bet on masking the abscence of detail since the good Build Engine games (Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage and Blood) look good on any resolution.

YukiHerz said:

1280x720 or lower 16:9 resolutions because i can, Gzdoom.

Oh, I forgot, I use this resolution too because bigger then that the alt HUD gets too small (even with pixel doubling).

1600x900. I prefer only GLBoom. I don't like when too much pixelated but for speedrunning I have to use PrBoom because on GLBoom doesn't exist translucence...
I don't see anything when i use BFG in close distance or when Archvile's fire covers my eyes.

If at fullscreen mode I use 1600x900, if at window mode or fullscreen window mode I use 1152x864.

On my laptop it's 1366x768.

On my 98 that was underpowered I could only do 320x200 for smooth 35 fps, anything higher would be choppy, I used a 19 inch monitor. On my next comp, an XP, I bumped it up to 640x480, I probably could of bumped it higher but I liked the double increase in resolution and was able to do GL stuff and what not with good performance.

Nowadays if its a port like G/ZDoom I will 1080 it but the modern HUD looks very small. There's hardly any ports with HUD scaling minus the pickup text that can be enlarged to look like you're on 320x200. Outside of ports, like using DOSBox the original resolution is perfectly adequate when letterboxed.

BaronOfStuff said:

...as far as I'm concerned the lighting for this renderer looks shit at high resolutions; the distance fade in particular loses its low-definition grit and ends up looking like nothing but a bunch of horizontal bands of increasing darkness:

*images*

Even at 640x480 the banding can look horribly obvious at times.

So basically you have to choose between horrible banding on the software side, and software rendering tricks not being fully reproduced on the OpenGL side.

Can somebody list which wads use software rendering tricks and which don't?

BTW, the infamous banding is noticable even in 320x200 mode.

Unless I'm taking screenshots I tend to play software ports at 640x480 or less. In hardware ports, I play at maximum resolution.

Non-shit resolutions in software tend to look really off to me, but I can't pinpoint a reason why.

320x200 lately, but the reason is as such:

I recently setup a totally overkill windows 98 computer:
2.0ghz AhtlonXP 2800+
512 megs of ram
80gb SSD
GeForce 4 Ti 4400

And it plays vanilla Doom at its glorious 320x200 resolution like a champ. Sadly with general midi as this motherboard lacks ISA slots. Thinking about getting a Creative Labs AWE32 or something and then piecing together a proper DOS gaming PC.

I play with 1280x960 windowed on all source ports. 640x480 is a tad small and I like to keep my eyes at a distance from my monitor. I play with windowed mode because I like the quicker access to other things.

I'm weird in that I intentionally play at the lowest resolution possible, I like the pixelated look. so 320x200. looks really good in zdoom

Windowed 1280 x 960 for every source ports with no particular reason. A few years ago, I used 1280 x 720 with fullscreen.

320x200 with fog-of-pixels is awesome for creepy\atmospheric wads or maps that have a very basic layout. I like it a lot. Other than that, I use the highest resolution available or 800x600 windowed.