Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Wombat Cave

Brutal Doom played in full 360 degrees with Oculus and Top Shot Elite

I've been waiting for the Virtuix Omni treadmill I kickstarted to ship and started playing with different FPS's in VR while standing. Here is a vid of Doom 2 with Brutal 20 mod. I did not map controls to turn left or right which forces you to turn your entire body. This is by far the most immersive, and terrorfying, FPS experience we have had. If you have a Rift this really needs to be tried!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWS1W585siI

Well that looks fun! How do you move, though? (yes I understand the turning, but actual movement, I didn't see your hands operating any sort of control for that)

There is a thumb stick on the back of the Top Shot Elite, I mapped that to WSAD, and set the A,D to strafe and not turn. It is fantastic fun, I cannot begin to tell you how immersive it is, suddenly an entirely new game.

I wasn't convinced by what I saw. I think VR is an amazing thing but it doesn't mean it will work with anything.

Modern immersive games, ok, but Classic Doom played like that just looks odd.

Problem is content, not the VR tech itself. There are few games specifically written for VR that accurately utilize the hardware for a convincing experience. I assume from the reply that you have not tried an Oculus Rift because even with the low resolution, it is an amazing experience. I have found that the classic Doom and Quake translate well to VR due to simplicity and high frame rates. The only FPS I have played with a better experience was Alien Isolation, however, with the complicated actions and the need to read fine print it is frustrating to play. Doom ends up being a click and go experience which is so much fun!

I wonder how Quake would be- a halfway between the uncanny and higher "quality" than looking at 2D sprites in a 3D environment?

Kontra Kommando said:

My biggest issue with the occulus, from playing with the DK2 kit, is that you have to aim with your face. Otherwise, its pretty cool.

What about the announced $600 price tag?

TrackIR is a waste of time compared to this. I realize the Oculus consumer version is $600, but I can attest it is worth it. Anyone who has not tried the new VR needs to find a way to experience it for themselves. Yes there is screen door, yes the resolution is low, but your brain doesn't care. Once you are spinning around and shooting demons, it is real. It is so immersive and so much fun, it cannot be explained, you must experience it for yourself.

Tactical Stiffy said:

I really want the Oculus... better start saving.

It is worth the money, don't hesitate. Once CV1 releases, the price of Dk2's on Ebay and the like should drop considerably. Oculus has stated they will still support DK2 at launch, at least for awhile. Might be a more cost effective way to get some VR. The DK2 is a very impressive piece of hardware and gives excellent Virtual Reality experiences.

Glaice said:

What about the announced $600 price tag?

Its that much!? Jesus christ.

Unless its a massive improvement over the DK2, I don't think its worth it for that much.

The Wombat Cave said:

Problem is content, not the VR tech itself. There are few games specifically written for VR that accurately utilize the hardware for a convincing experience.

I tried playing Alien: Isolation with it, and it was awesome. Nevertheless, it was only a novelty experience, since the hud was not prioritized for the Occulus. I wish they had gone through with making it compatible; I don't understand why they wouldn't want to. Both the game and the occulus got a lot of media hype from that possibility.

I normally don't feel any fear when I play video games, even intense survival horrors. But Alien: Isolation with the Occulus really was a terrifying experience. I remember trying to sneak around without being noticed, and looking up to see an Android starring at me furiously with red glowing eyes. Then he proceeded to be the shit out of me until I died. It was awesome!

Kontra Kommando said:

I tried playing Alien: Isolation with it, and it was awesome. Nevertheless, it was only a novelty experience, since the hud was not prioritized for the Occulus. I wish they had gone through with making it compatible; I don't understand why they wouldn't want to. Both the game and the occulus got a lot of media hype from that possibility.

I normally don't feel any fear when I play video games, even intense survival horrors. But Alien: Isolation with the Occulus really was a terrifying experience. I remember trying to sneak around without being noticed, and looking up to see an Android starring at me furiously with red glowing eyes. Then he proceeded to be the shit out of me until I died. It was awesome!

Everyone that I have had play Alien Isolation refuses to play again, it is that real and terrifying. That being said the game is unplayable for reasons you mentioned about the hud. People are being turned off of VR because of poor mods, and incomplete compatibility. Once there are official AAA titles built from the ground up in VR, it is no longer a novelty experience. $600 is steep, almost made me hesitate, but the realization of a childhood dream supersedes paying bills, right? lol. The price will drop soon, I'm just not willing to wait that long.

Here is some VR gameplay of Alien Isolation, this was before I cleared out a room for my Omni, so it is not full 360 degrees like others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gen1GJoLO5U

The Wombat Cave said:

Everyone that I have had play Alien Isolation refuses to play again, it is that real and terrifying. That being said the game is unplayable for reasons you mentioned about the hud. People are being turned off of VR because of poor mods, and incomplete compatibility. Once there are official AAA titles built from the ground up in VR, it is no longer a novelty experience. $600 is steep, almost made me hesitate, but the realization of a childhood dream supersedes paying bills, right? lol. The price will drop soon, I'm just not willing to wait that long.

Here is some VR gameplay of Alien Isolation, this was before I cleared out a room for my Omni, so it is not full 360 degrees like others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gen1GJoLO5U

I'd say, if they can produce some quality games, and lower the price. I would consider buying it.

Kontra Kommando said:

I'd say, if they can produce some quality games, and lower the price. I would consider buying it.

There are dozens of VR specific games being developed for release this year. Looks like Virtual Reality will have a better launch title selection than the consoles usually do at the start. Wish Doom 4 had support, but looks like ID is still a little bitter toward Carmack. I am sure it will be modded, but as you noted mod support just isn't the same.

BaronOfStuff said:

This thread reads like a sales pitch.

LOL, rereading it I guess it kinda does. I'm just afraid VR will fizzle out due to lack of support, and then my wife will realize how much I spent on all this VR equipment and make the couch my new permanent home...

Kontra Kommando said:

Its that much!? Jesus christ.

Unless its a massive improvement over the DK2, I don't think its worth it for that much.

The tech is a significant improvement over the development kits, but it's not the big reason. You have to remember, VR is still in its early days, it requires a lot of custom components to be done correctly. Prices will come down as adoption rates rise, and as further innovations/optimizations are made.

Besides, you need a powerful rig to make the most out of VR anyway. If you're already sinking $1000+ into a VR-ready PC, you know exactly what kind of investment you're making.

3noneTwo said:

The tech is a significant improvement over the development kits, but it's not the big reason. You have to remember, VR is still in its early days, it requires a lot of custom components to be done correctly. Prices will come down as adoption rates rise, and as further innovations/optimizations are made.

Besides, you need a powerful rig to make the most out of VR anyway. If you're already sinking $1000+ into a VR-ready PC, you know exactly what kind of investment you're making.

I've sunk over 10 grand into VR over the last 10 years or so, but never felt it was a waste. I have learned a great deal while friends and family had a blast playing with the tech no one had ever seen before. Now that the dream of mainstream virtual reality is nearing fruition, I do not mind being an early adopter to show that it can be a viable way to not only play games, but interact socially, explore the world, present past and future. That is why I like to demonstrate the Doom and Quake in VR. There is nothing fancy, or technical about it. You can pick it up and play for hours without issue. That is where VR needs to go. But if you can play Doom 3 in VR while standing in the middle of the room with a top shot elite and not be convinced it is the future, than nothing ever will and VR is just simply not for you. Had my wife test Doom 3 last night, the first monster she was trying to shoot and reload in a panic at the same time, and physically backpedal backwards in the room, her mind was convinced she was on Mars in those corridors. THAT is the VR dream.