Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
watstha

New Doom story mode

So, what do you guys think will be the story of the game? What would you like to see?
Personally, I hope they go the Doom RPG rute, and name the Doomguy: Stan Blazkowicz, it would really add depth to the character without the need of introducing internal monologue or two hours of cutscenes.

It would also come into full circle with the new Wolfenstein series, in which the technology was already advanced by the 60´s, it would also explain the "Next step, mars" posters in The new order.

Maybe even add a small cutscene in which the Doomguy punches his CO in the face to avoid shooting at civilians.

What are your thoughts?

watstha said:

So, what do you guys think will be the story of the game? What would you like to see?

STORY:
Man goes to Mars to kill the demon

WHAT I WANT TO SEE:
Man goes to Mars and kills the demon

The Civ said:

STORY:
Man goes to Mars to kill the demon

WHAT I WANT TO SEE:
Man goes to Mars and kills the demon

Plot twist: You are the demons.

watstha said:

it would also explain the "Next step, mars" posters in The new order.

This is actually a good point. It would be cool if this tiny bit of story was in there just for the sake of context. I think story-heavy games can get boring, but a tiny bit of context (just like the original Doom has!) makes a world of difference to me for some reason.

Doom has never, ever had much depth to its story and Doom 3 was a laughable attempt at trying to expand on it. I don't see it playing a huge role in Doom '16. That said, I'd like to see SOMETHING, and I'm sure we'll get some cutscenes. I just hope they're not as corny or poorly executed as D3's.

Marty Stratton spoke about the general approach to the story here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/doom/b/pc/archive/2015/07/27/id-software-marty-stratton-teases-building-coop-campaigns-with-doom-snapmap.aspx

We've seen a lot of focus on the combat and just a small taste of the story. What can we expect from Doom's narrative?

We haven't talked a lot about story. We're still a little ways away from release, so we kinda want to leave some juicy nuggets out there for people to talk about and be surprised by. We're tying to do the story in a way that fits Doom. We often ask, "What does a player come to Doom wanting to do? How much story do they want? How do they want it to be told?" We're really trying to use those innate feelings in us. I'm coming to kill demons. What's the story in that? We don't want to force story on the player that isn't related to why they are coming to play the game. I think we're on a really good track with the story; doing it in a way that works for those people who want to power through and wreck stuff, and also people who want to know who they are, why they are there. I think it will pique the player's interest.

So it looks like most of the story will be optional. Usually that means a lot of audio diaries and PDAs will be present, like in Doom 3, but I don't think that will be the case here either since that approach causes the player to stop moving.

I think the best idea would be to embed the optional story tidbits within the environment. Pictures, looped videos, writing on the wall, the aftermath of various events, etc. Even if you decide to pause and check out those things, it wouldn't take long and you're still in the game.

And of course, all the major story moments can just be cut-scenes, or even first-person cut-scenes if you want. These shouldn't be numerous, but instead should be treated similarly to the original Doom games, where there's just a handful of key moments. But instead of a wall of text, we get glorious well produced cut-scenes.

You can always go for CoD. Or Doom 3.

Story mode is like this:

Player name: (YOU)
Area: (SOMEPLACE AROUND MARS AND UAC FACILITIES)
Monsters: (BLOODTHIRSTY DEMONS)
Objective of player: (BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF THOSE DEMONS)

Do you really want to go through this :-

Linear levels
Low powered weapons with useless secondary functions(for me it is)
Fast as a turtle(no not a sea turtle)
Cutscenes, like a watching TV with mouse, keyboard/console controllers

Really, do you? Plus, Wolfenstein games have that Blazckowitz hero, not Doom (its completely different).

I am kinda hoping there won't be much of a story.

I, personally, found the whole Bertruger story in Doom 3 rather erm.. distracting? It felt cheesy and superfluous. Like a bad sauce on a good steak ruining the meal.

I will admit this is fully subjective but when I experienced Doom for the first time I really did not absorb much of the story that was given. I mean, I read the text walls eagerly (being a kid and all), but the story for me was within the game. Very much a case of my fantasy filling in the blanks.

The thing I remember was the feeling the game gave me. A feeling of dread, of being alone, of fighting the biggest evil there was. There were no rules. Everything was possible. Items being traps; of course! That is most evil! Lights suddenly turning of, walls dropping and the game surrounding you with monsters, hell yes. Or even huge lakes of acidic blood you had to cross to flip creepy skull switches. You weren't meant to survive. Was there even an escape, or was the fact you were fighting endless hordes of demons perhaps your own eternal punishment? Fighting, running, puzzling.. for eternity! Mwoehahahaha!

^_^

All i hope for is cool monsters and crazy environments that allow for fun play. The hell level shown during E3 was something I personally loved. The pillars were full of swords and arrows giving you the feeling you entered a battleground hundreds if not thousands of years old. The entire arena floor covered in blood, a crazy floating pedestal held down by gigantic chains. An enormously huge door in the background just begging to be opened and the evil behind it to be unleashed (https://youtu.be/QiinO9JPUGw?t=1019). I don't need any of that explained. In fact I rather hope they don't.

What I want:

- Doomguy goes to Phobos
- Accident, demons
- Goes to Demios
- Demons demons
- Goes to Earth
- Demons all over earth
- Earth transported in orbit of hell
- Demons demons demons
- Demons
- Earth is almost lost on a cliffhanger
- Oh lots of creatively designed demons

What it will be:
- BR00TAL DOOM gameplay ie. FINISH HIM with except this time with cool guys! Like the Rock! C'mon guys its the ROCK! Don't any of you guys not like the ROCK? Check out his muscles, OHMIGODHEKILLEDABADGUY! WOW

Despite this being the fourth game in the series, this will be the second reboot. Suck that up. What will be the game after that? Another reboot? Will Doom just keep re-booting itself whenever it needs to make some money? It's obvious that the 'story' took a bit of a back seat here.

There is so far no discussion or exploration of Hell in the terms of Doom, ie. an industrialised Hell as opposed to demons just walking around barefoot (which they tend to do, but some of them have rocket launchers for arms). This is a real shame. Look at all our modern military gear and fill that with lethal nightmares. It would also reflect that if we have industralised Hell, as we have ourselves, then we have also industrialised God, and an interesting idea would be to have angels as well as demons in the same twisted and distorted chaos of things. I wish there was.

Anyway, to answer your question:

- Guy goes to mars because of his badass attitude
- Amazing graphics
- Suddenly demons
- Amazing graphics
- Kills demons
- Amazing graphics
- Stare in wonder at graphics
- Amazing graphics
- Don't you like the graphics????
- Game ends

And that is Doom 4 in its entirely.

deadwolves said:

What I want:

- Doomguy goes to Phobos
- Accident, demons
- Goes to Demios
- Demons demons
- Goes to Earth
- Demons all over earth
- Earth transported in orbit of hell
- Demons demons demons
- Demons
- Earth is almost lost on a cliffhanger
- Oh lots of creatively designed demons

What it will be:
- BR00TAL DOOM gameplay ie. FINISH HIM with except this time with cool guys! Like the Rock! C'mon guys its the ROCK! Don't any of you guys not like the ROCK? Check out his muscles, OHMIGODHEKILLEDABADGUY! WOW

Then why don't you just go play Original Doom and stop with your nonsensical blathering and ripping on a game you haven't even touched yet?

Doomguy is a silent badass, which means he has the right attitude during combat, as a normal soldier. Unless he radios someone, but no one is alive.

Which is why I like Doomguy. Unlike Duke Nukem, who seems like loudmouth mercenary to me.
Only commenting.

Doom does have a story, a simple yet elegant one, and Doom 2016 is giving that story a more realistic approach (no, not Doom 3 realistic).

Plus, we love that story of demons invading Deimos/Phobos/Earth/Mars/etc. Its about time id gave the spotlight to it.

Rip and tear! You are big so you have big guts! X)

I read DOOM bible many times, I know the story and I don't need any super story for new DOOM.

For me all necessary cinematics in new DOOM was show at E3 trailer :D

DoomMarine82 said:

For me all necessary cinematics in new DOOM was show at E3 trailer :D

In a way you are right. The Glory Kills shown in the video were meant to appeal to he customer/gamers by showing how much violence is present. But you are also incorrect. They are a part of the actual game (and its optional I hear), so prepare to see Brutal Doom, the way id does it.

DoomMarine82 said:

Glory kills are great - but they are not cut-scenes for me :D

That's right. They're animations.
They will be great once in a while, like Brutal Doom.

MrDope said:

Look what I found (BIG SPOILERS FROM THE CAMPAIGN):

[copyrighted content removed]

MUST.NOT.CLICK.

Believe it or not, text is copyrighted too. Linking leaked scripts is just as sue-over-able as posting leaked screenshots or anything else.

I'd like to see the icon of sin's head on a wall being tested on near the middle of the game, after you kill him a fuck ton of arch-viles appear and resurrect him with his full body, then he goes to earth and fucks some shit up, then you kill him, again, on earth

MrDope said:

Wait, what was it? What was the leak. SEND PM PLEAAAASEEE!! =(

Doom '16 storyline :
Doomguy goes to UAC Spaceship , someone does something wrong and unleashed Hell demons, everything goes wrong, now Doomguy is trapped in a Spaceship and must try to move to UAC Base on mars so that he can use the teleportation device to teleport his ass to "Phobos" (aka hell) and defeat the source of all this mess rather than having to simply lock the portal .

MrDope said:

You should stop posting leaks around here. You are endangering the site.

LANEGRACABRA said:

What we know so far is, there will be AN UNHOLY UNION OF FAT AND METAL

I wonder if the narrator of that trailer is Dr. Olivia Pierce. I always thought that narrator sounded like Linda Hamilton. It would be gangster if she starred in the new Doom.

ChickenOrBeef said:

I wonder if the narrator of that trailer is Dr. Olivia Pierce. I always thought that narrator sounded like Linda Hamilton. It would be gangster if she starred in the new Doom.

The narrator is most likely her, it seems to fit pretty well.

One of my favorite things from Doom 3 was the first two levels, going through a lived in facility with other humans still alive and going about their duties.
Returning to that same area all screwed up and overtaken by demons was great, I hope something similar happens in new Doom.

For actual story bits though, I hope they are skippable cut scenes like in original Doom 3 (not like in BFG where they are unskippable). I also hope there are no cut scenes for monster introductions. It was creepy to be going through the sewer-like area in Doom 3, you hear a really loud bassy grumbling, and then when you turn a corner the camera cuts away to show a Mancubus crawling out of a pipe. Similar things happen with the Imp, Pinky, Hell Knights, and most of the other demons; the cut scenes ruined it.
The Cherub had no introduction and just jumped out of a shadow; it was a good WTF? moment that catches you off guard.

quakke said:

Stan Blazckowiz? How about Flynn Taggart?

How about Flan Targowicz?

No, seriously, the protagonist should just have a codename like an agent and not some unique name complete with a fully fleshed-out background story.

redrage said:

I, personally, found the whole Bertruger story in Doom 3 rather erm.. distracting? It felt cheesy and superfluous. Like a bad sauce on a good steak ruining the meal.

I also found the whole main story arch with Betruger cheesy and stupid. Especially because "Betrüger" means deceiver or fraudster in German and sounds like a completely made up name with *hint hint*. Like you would call the bad guy I. M. Eaville.

But what Doom 3 did really great in the story department was all the little snippets you could read in mails and get from voice logs that gave you a broad picture of the life on Mars.

Does anyone know who "Olivia" is supposed to be? I'm having the feeling that the lady who speaks in the teaser trailer is supposed to be her.