Plasma Gun

What resolution do you play Doom at?

Depends entirely on the mod/engine I am playing:

IWADS, Vanilla & Boom, Software Renderer:
320x200 OR 640x480

ZDoom etc, OpenGL when possible:
1280x720 windowed OR 1920x1080 Fullscreen

1280 by 960, windowed.

I loved the pixelated look of the original Doom executable. It gave you just enough to know where you're going, but hid just enough to let your imagination run wild. Unfortunately I feel like that on an LCD is unsatisfying compared to a CRT. So, I just bite the bullet and use a modern resolution.

640x480 (Crispy and PrBoom+), 320x200 (Original .exes and Chocolate). This game is really unsuited to higher resolutions in my opinion.

640x480 with ZDoom. Not too blurry and pixelated like 320x200. But also not overly hyper clear like 1440x900 or anything higher. Doom doesn't look good in HD to me. Looks downright ugly that way at times. It needs some smooth pixel blur to add that little extra grittiness. That's how Doom was intended to be seen.

Fullscreen 1920x1080. It never even occurred to me to play at anything other than the maximum resolution of my monitor. Now, because of this thread, I might change the resolution around to see what it's like playing at different resolutions.

320x240

I like to make everything a little chubbier :)

1600x900, I'm not big on windowed. I do like to keep all the aa filters and HD stuff off to keep that crisp classic look.

Depends what I'm playing.

Chocolate Doom & Crispy Doom - 320x200
Doom Retro - 576x360
ZDoom - 640x360
PRBoom Plus & Eternity - 640x480
GLBoom Plus & Zandronium - 800x600
GZDoom & Doomsday Engine - 1920x1080

Urthar said:

Doom Retro - 576x360

What res is that? According to the Doom Retro wiki:

A resolution of 640×400 (twice the resolution of the original DOOM), accommodating for any screen size while maintaining the correct 4:3 aspect ratio.

VGA said:

What res is that? According to the Doom Retro wiki:

Doom Retro has a widescreen mode that's effectively 640x360 with the sides cropped.

I play doom at 1440*900
I only started playing recently but I think it looks kinda cool supersmooth at high resolution. Might be getting a 5k monitor soon and will try it at that resolution, want to see how freaky it looks.

So I got a new monitor stand the other day and was experimenting with the screen in portrait orientation and decided to try Doom at 900x1440 for fun. Results were less than great since it seems most ports assume the screen is a common aspect ratio like 4:3 or 16:10 and when it gets turned around the game ends up stretched. Chocolate Doom worked fine windowboxed, however. (Mind you this system isn't used for gaming so everything is a few years out of date. And I'm not sure if an extended vertical field of view even makes sense in Doom anyways; this thread is interesting in this regard but really only covers horizontal FOV.)

But to answer the original question: whatever the native resolution is of the monitor I'm using at the time (usually 1920x1200), unless I'm using Crispy, Chocolate, or vanilla...

16:9 aspect ratio with 1280x720 resolution fullscreen with zdoom. My laptop screen does not go any higher than that. I really like the widescreen effect.

I don't remember the highest res in gzdoom that I can select because I edit my .ini file to the above res due to gzdoom on my laptop does not go that high. I say run it at the highest that you are capable. Running Hexen or all the Heretic and Doom player wads that support a lot of detail and special effects look better with higher res instead of a lower one.

thedeadgmr said:

Why do so many laptops have this weird resolution

My guess is to get as close as possible (0.6666r of a pixel away) to a 16:9 aspect ratio with 768 as the height, which was the standard height of monitors (1024x768) around the time Laptops became more affordable/popular.

Dragonfly said:

My guess is to get as close as possible (0.6666r of a pixel away) to a 16:9 aspect ratio with 768 as the height, which was the standard height of monitors (1024x768) around the time Laptops became more affordable/popular.

nope. at that times every desctop monitor was already 1280x1024 but every laptop monitor was 1024x768. so, looks like they just made it widescreen (and more dense)

I think Dragonfly was also talking about laptop monitors when he said "monitors", but I can be wrong.

I was talking about normal, desktop monitors. You may have been lucky to have 1280x1024 but most office, school and home computers had 1024x768 around the time laptops started becoming commonplace, at least, from my experience. Like I said though, it's only a guess on my behalf. :)

EDIT:
After a quick search on Google, I came across a page on Reddit that explains the same thing I'm saying.