Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

Is There A Way To Make Monsters Ignore Sounds?

Does anyone know how to make monsters ignore sounds? I want to make it so they'll only attack you if they see you. Is there a setting to do this?

gaspe said:

You just need check the deaf option in the thing properties.

Almost.

If you need them to be able to face the opposite direction undisturbed as you skulk past them, you will need to enclose the monsters in two layers of "block sound" lines. If its at the very beginning of the map before the player will have fired a shot, just using the deaf flag will do. But monsters who are tagged deaf actually do "hear" they just wait to wakeup until the player is in visible range, even if the player pops up behind them.

For vanilla, you need to place each deaf enemy in its own sector, then give that sector a sector, then make all the lines of both sectors Block Sound.

In ZDoom, you can instead make a new version of the monster in Decorate, and use A_LookEx instead of A_Look so you can remove the ability for the monster to respond to sound entirely.

Arctangent said:

For vanilla, you need to place each deaf enemy in its own sector, then give that sector a sector, then make all the lines of both sectors Block Sound.

In that case you'd not have to set the ambush flag.

Jaxxoon R said:

FTFY

Deaf and ambush are the same; the flag's name just differs through map builders. GZDoom Builder has it as "Ambush players". But the actual, real name of the flag is it's int that adds up to the flag int. E.g. 3 is 1 + 2, thus flag 1 and 2. I forgot the number for the Ambush flag.

I'm using Doom Builder 2 with the Boom configuration. Is there a way to do this on Doom Builder 2? I'm also playing my WADs on Zandronum, in case that helps.

Gustavo6046 said:

Deaf and ambush are the same; the flag's name just differs through map builders. GZDoom Builder has it as "Ambush players". But the actual, real name of the flag is it's int that adds up to the flag int. E.g. 3 is 1 + 2, thus flag 1 and 2. I forgot the number for the Ambush flag.

Just stop.