Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

[3DGE] Duke it Out in DOOM (v2.2)

An action-packed gameplay mod that puts you in the boots of the political incorrect but lovable ass-kicking macho-man Duke Nukem. Crammed full of of 80's/90's action movies stereotypes and pop culture references. Featuring an impressive arsenal of super deadly, sneaky and devastating weapons and a colorful and humorous ensemble of power-ups and pickups. Full of witty one-liners from Duke himself and plenty of blood, guts and gore.

"ACTION 1" key activates Beer and "ACTION 2" key toggles Night-Vision (when these are available, see icons on the far right of the HUD).

Mod requires (Hyper)3DGE 2.0.4 Final (or later) and a Doom or Doom II IWAD. Mod is widescreen friendly.

Get 3DGE here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2
3DGE forums: http://www.tdgmods.net/smf/viewforum.php?f=3

Mod homepage (screenshots, reviews and downloads, etc.): http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-it-out-in-doom
Article/review by Leif Johnson: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/playing-as-duke-nukem-in-doom-ii-is-fun-as-hell
Mention at PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/mods-bring-pokemon-textures-to-stardew-valley/
Modinformer review:

Spoiler

Gameplay videos by Fox Favinger:

Spoiler

Credits:

Spoiler

id Software
3d Realms
Apogee
Gearbox Software
TakeTwo Entertainment
Eurocom Entertainment
DoomNukem
Captain J.
Zrrion
DogBone Software
HMNuke93
Sergeant Mark IV
Kinsie
osjclatchford
JohnnyTheWolf & Fox Favinger (feedback & support)
Mike12 & Ryan Cordell

Edited by CeeJay

Oh damn, I have to test this when I'm on my PC. You always make quality stuff, Doom4Ever is my favourite gameplay-changing mod!

It does not work with Zdoom? Also, is it compatible with The Ultimate Doom?

Finally, when I play it with 3DGE (a port I am not familiar with), I do not get any music during the levels. :S

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Finally, when I play it with 3DGE (a port I am not familiar with), I do not get any music during the levels. :S

If you are running 2.0.2 [and on Windows], just enable "Timidity" playback under Sound Options. Restart, and you should be getting music. Make sure the 8MBGMPAT folder exists as well as this too was included.

Also, is it compatible with The Ultimate Doom?

Just have your doom.wad, doom2.wad, and this mod in the directory. Drag-and-drop doom.wad and the WAD for DIOID (this mod) on top of the executable. You will be able to play both Ultimate Doom and Doom II (or Final Doom) at the same time (that method works with, or without, this mod btw).

Thanks! Although I do not really like 3DGE, I am still having fun with this mod.

It is kind of amazing how much more satisfying Duke Nukem's weapons feel when used against Doom's monsters. :S

This is for 3DGE, not ZDoom or GZDoom.

It is not recommended for use with DOOM I, since some of the content will be missing.

I have no idea why but when I saw the prefix to your thread title (3DGE), I instantly thought that that one dude who made the "Sanik da edgehog" mod was back...

Nice mod though ^^

2 questions:
Is this mod compatible with custom wads?
Is the character movement style like in Duke3D or Doom (slippery)?

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I have a suggestion: since you are already using Duke Nukem voice clips, maybe you could add Duke Nukem music as a replacement soundtrack?

Already way ahead of you, check initial post under add-ons.

Mike800 said:

Is this mod compatible with custom wads?

Any vanilla or Boom compatible map or mapset.

Mike800 said:

Is the character movement style like in Duke3D or Doom (slippery)?

Like DOOM. Or DOOM-ish.

Looks great! Always bet on Duke.

I like seeing pixel-art versions of 3D models, like that DNF shrink ray you used, that always looks cool to me. And the Shadow Warrior railgun rules.

CeeJay said:

Already way ahead of you, check initial post under add-ons.

Awesome! I did not notice it the first time. :D

Any plan to make it compatible with ZDoom/GZDoom, though?

EDIT: I am not sure how armor bonuses are supposed to work. They do not seem to increase my armor count when I pick them up. :S

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Any plan to make it compatible with ZDoom/GZDoom, though?

I know where this is going to lead, so I'm going to say "no". 3DGE is a suitable engine for mods. There would really be no point in taking the time to laboriously port it over when everything functions fine as-is. Learn to love 3DGE - or don't.

It is one day my goal to get EDGE to the point where people won't request every exclusive mod ported, as tough as that seems. :-)

Some things I think would greatly help:

Improved player movement, make it less "slippery" and more controllable. The menus, just, the menus. The big texts for instance are aligned all over the place. All the way to the right, somewhat centered, way to the left, etc. Makes creating custom menus a pain in the rear end. More customization in the options, for example more game-play options and improved control config (people have brought up that they can't re-config certain keys).

And lastly, the sound playback needs improving to be honest. For one, EDGE don't like stereo sounds and these will sound "muffled" in-game. Otherwise, in general sound effects (and music) do sound ok but a little compressed. I hate to draw these comparisons, but the ZDoom-ports playback seems much better and will always play the sound exactly as it is.

Is there a way to at least reduce the size of the crosshair? Even the dot-shaped one is just a big ugly yellow square. :S

As for the mod, when I shrink a pistol zombieman (which is a nice touch, btw), it reverts back to the original rifleman sprite.

BlackFish said:

I'd love an alternate version where the Devastator was the BFG replacement. My only other piece of feedback is that the railgun seems very underpowered.

Funny you should say that, up until only hours before release the Devastator was a "normal" weapon that replaced the BFG while the Plasma Cannon replaced the invulnerability sphere.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Is there a way to at least reduce the size of the crosshair? Even the dot-shaped one is just a big ugly yellow square. :S

Of course, that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: The dot is actually just a single pixel, have you tried to increase the screen resolution?

JohnnyTheWolf said:

As for the mod, when I shrink a pistol zombieman (which is a nice touch, btw), it reverts back to the original rifleman sprite.

Might have missed something here, I'll have a look.

EDIT: Yep, i'm a blind idiot.

Anyways, MODdb page is up: http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-it-out-in-doom

Could you look into the armor bonuses not increasing the armor count?

Also, is there a reason why the Chaingun sounds different when you are the one using it? Not that I mind the new firing sounds, actually, but it is odd to hear the original ones from Chaingunners.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Could you look into the armor bonuses not increasing the armor count?

Next version will have this fixed along with smaller crosshairs.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Also, is there a reason why the Chaingun sounds different when you are the one using it? Not that I mind the new firing sounds, actually, but it is odd to hear the original ones from Chaingunners.

Originally the Players chaingun sound was a different one that sounded more similar to the one used by the Chaingunner, however I decided at the last minute to change it due to it sounding a little too wimpy, especially with all the other weapons sounding so beefy.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Use r_crosssize in the console. You can also use r_crosscolor and r_crossbright.

Also probably a dumb question: do you have your sound settings correct in Sound Options?

BlackFish said:

Not sure if bug or intentional, but pipe bombs can't be detonated by shots like RPGs.

You mean they don't get set off by the explosion of RPGs? No, I can only make them "shootable" in which case all weapons will cause them harm. It's a minor compromise.

Chu said:

Also, _____, probably a dumb question: do you have your sound settings correct in Sound Options?

Yes, I have fiddled around with the settings a lot. I'm not saying the sound playback is bad (other than the issue with stereo sounds), just that it could be a whole lot better. I've noticed a lot of sound effects that do sound really good ending up sounding sub-par in-game (muffled, low volume, "wimpy"-sounding). Something I notice more now since I have a good sound system set up. On a side note, please refrain from using my real name(s) in the forums. Just a weird pet-peeve of mine.

CeeJay, at a personal note, I'd make the pipebomb shootable since it doesn't make sense for it not to explode if shot by even a pistol, but then Shrinker and Expander blowing up bombs would not make sense, nor would the Freezethrower...

If I were to make it shootable that would also mean the engine will automatically aim at it (autoaim). Problematic in cases were's there's large groups of enemies behind one or more pipebombs. The engine doesn't take height or width into consideration with the autoaiming.

CeeJay said:

Yes, I have fiddled around with the settings a lot. I'm not saying the sound playback is bad (other than the issue with stereo sounds), just that it could be a whole lot better. I've noticed a lot of sound effects that do sound really good ending up sounding sub-par in-game (muffled, low volume, "wimpy"-sounding). Something I notice more now since I have a good sound system set up.

Hmm, are these normal Doom sounds? Or are you also referring to Vorbis encoded sounds? I will take a look into it. I have someone helping with getting OPL working - once that is done, the music issue will be solved once and for all (no more broken SYSTEM mixer, and Timidity can become an option again).

Menus really need a rewrite. One of the things on my todo list is to replace the graphic patches with actual strings, so the menus can be a bit easier to customize.

So more gameplay options? I can do that, but I seem to recall people saying the menu was bloated with them. It is getting very hard to find a medium that everyone can enjoy when it comes to 3DGE. And, the main menu drawer started with DosDoom and was steadily improved (use an old DOSDoom version - they are identical). It might be time to finally throw it out and start over. Do people prefer the order and structure of ZDooms menu layout?

Finally, control bindings arent working? I haven't experienced this issue - steps to replicate? Was this an issue with EDGE?

Chu said:

Hmm, are these normal Doom sounds? Or are you also referring to Vorbis encoded sounds? I will take a look into it. I have someone helping with getting OPL working - once that is done, the music issue will be solved once and for all (no more broken SYSTEM mixer, and Timidity can become an option again).

The stock Doom ones sound ok, it's a problem when you start adding various sfx of multiple bitrates mixed with both mono and stereo sounds. I can't put my finger on it. Some sounds just don't sound right. I'm pretty sure it's not just me.

Chu said:

Menus really need a rewrite. One of the things on my todo list is to replace the graphic patches with actual strings, so the menus can be a bit easier to customize.

That would be the ideal solution. The font gfx can easily be found.

Chu said:

So more gameplay options? I can do that, but I seem to recall people saying the menu was bloated with them. It is getting very hard to find a medium that everyone can enjoy when it comes to 3DGE. And, the main menu drawer started with DosDoom and was steadily improved (use an old DOSDoom version - they are identical). It might be time to finally throw it out and start over. Do people prefer the order and structure of ZDooms menu layout?

People seem to really like customization these days and complain when there's a lack of it, but I am an old gen gamer so what do I know. I think having more gameplay and graphics/video options could be appreciated. Perhaps copying a lot of the console-specific commands over to the options, making them less obscure in the process.

Chu said:

Finally, control bindings arent working? I haven't experienced this issue - steps to replicate? Was this an issue with EDGE?

Never had the issue myself either, but have heard it atleast a couple of times from people who have experienced it (one who couldn't re-bind the alt. attack).

CeeJay said:

If I were to make it shootable that would also mean the engine will automatically aim at it (autoaim). Problematic in cases were's there's large groups of enemies behind one or more pipebombs. The engine doesn't take height or width into consideration with the autoaiming.

Seems like a "no autoaim" flag is in order. Also, if 3DGE supports damagetypes, I imagine you can set immunities to certain weapons.