Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

I desperately want to play my map coop. How?

I don't know anyone with Doom, but I'm making a strong argument for my brother to buy Doom II (at $5.00, how can you go wrong?) I know he'll get it. You should have seen the look on his face when I showed him Brutal Doom v20b. lol. Well... let's say, he will get this.

How am I going to play with him?

I'll get him to get Zandronum. My map is not Vanilla. In GZDoomBuilder, my, "Configuration is: "Boom: Doom 2 (Doom Format)" and the Map is, "MAP01."

I test with GZDoom.exe (Is that the most up to date/best engine? (Opions)) So... What do I do for someone who starts out with just Doom 2: Hell on Eart (from Steam)?

Should I have him upload GZDoom? Obviously he'll need Zandronum (because that's the host client that I've decided to do. Is that Zandronum is? Basically just a client host, or is it more?

If I need to download GZDoom, do I just drag my .wad (doom2.wad) into the GZD executable file?

I do need to drag doom2.wad from C:/.../steam/whatever/ to C:/...(x86)/zandronum, right?

If I can be candid I did start off with an illegit copy of Doom 2. That's what I used to work on my map. (Will that have negative repercussions?)

So... if I'm right, it's just, buy Doom II: Hell on Earth, Download Zandronum, have my brother put MonsterHQ.wad (my map) into his Zandronum file with a legit copy of Doom2.wad. Is that it? Does he need GZDoom or is already in Zandronum. I'll admit I wasn't diligent when I was getting all these things. It was, me hearing something and being like, "Ouw, I need that." [Download] Repeat.

I'm really sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but there is sooo much content on Google, Youtube, Doomworld etc., it is really hard to sift through it all when everyone has a unique problem to solve.

tl;dr What are the steps involved in setting up a custom map DM/Co-op? (It doesn't need to be Zandronum. I suppose IP would work fine for just the two of us to play.

It does not matter if the copy of doom II has or has not been purchased, so long as it is the same version it will work regardless.

You can find more info on zandronum here: http://www.zandronum.com/forum/index.php

Once you have zandronum you can start a LAN game and you do not require GZDoom.

You both need doom2.wad and your wad to play together. You only need to drag and drop your wad over the zandronum executable and you should be able to use the internal browser for Lan games. if not, download IDE or Doomseeker (which is bundled with zandronum).

Make sure all wads are in the same folder.

Decay said:

It does not matter if the copy of doom II has or has not been purchased, so long as it is the same version it will work regardless.

You can find more info on zandronum here: http://www.zandronum.com/forum/index.php

Once you have zandronum you can start a LAN game and you do not require GZDoom.

You both need doom2.wad and your wad to play together. You only need to drag and drop your wad over the zandronum executable and you should be able to use the internal browser for Lan games. if not, download IDE or Doomseeker (which is bundled with zandronum).

Make sure all wads are in the same folder.

Thank you! Is GZDoom just something I need for GZDoombuilder? Are there any benefits for someone not designing levels to use GZDoom?

GZDoomBuilder is (again) a bettered edition of DoomBuilder 2, so you don't need GZDoom to make it work , you can use to make Vanilla or Boom maps .

everennui said:

Thank you! Is GZDoom just something I need for GZDoombuilder? Are there any benefits for someone not designing levels to use GZDoom?

Not necessarily, no. GZDoomBuilder more or less appeals to the advanced, OpenGL side of ZDoom-based ports. It's not strictly made to work only with GZDoom.

GZDoom is slightly more advanced than the latest build of Zandronum and the differences appeal mostly to mod creators. Gameplay-wise, GZDoom and Zandronum are virtually the same.