Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

What would make a better DOOM cover?

As we all know about the new one, it isn't exactly appealing or original. So I ask...

What would make a better cover look?

I'd like it if doomguy was on a second floor, shooting on demons coming from first floor and down the corridor on his. He can be holding the super shotgun or chaingun, firing at all the doom enemies. Heck, there can be a baron plowing through mutliple zombies, charging at doomguy! The location can be the industrial settings we've seen in the trailers, with a lava waterfall behind it all or something. Finally there can be a cyberdemon way in the corner of the image.

What you guys want for a cover?

Personally not worried about the cover in the least.

Having said that I think I would love to see one inspired by the doom 1 and 2 covers (more so the doom 1 than 2 but I do like both). I'm not going to get specific about it but something more intense with some active demon slaying on it would probably bump it up a step for me.

I got the game digitally, it doesn't even HAVE a cover.

Closest thing is the banner in Steam and I can change that to whatever the fuck I like if I feel the need.

Maybe they sould've stained Doomguy's armour and helmet with blood, not his blood of course.

THIS is minimalistic:

What Hofmann posted is just a logo on the black background. Boring as hell.

Personally I don't really like the original DOOM box art either. It's just this typical Army of Darkness type of thing that we've seen many times already. I don't necessarily need a cover that 'tells a story'. But it needs to have a character. I actually brought something similiar up last year. As far as box arts go, I like those:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
SOMA
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
id Anthology
BioShock (steelbook)
DOOM Collector's Edition
RAGE

Touchdown said:

What Hofmann posted is just a logo on the black background. Boring as hell.

It's perfect, I think I'm going to make my own box with that cover, when I get the game.

AoD style cover >>>>>> CoD style cover.

Maybe a shot of doomguy in some bright hellish/toxic environment, just a second before he brings a chainsaw down on an about-to-fire Caco. That sounds more like a traditional Doom cover and sounds far more visually compelling to boot. Shoulda called Punchatz Jr!

I do not buy game because how cover looks. But I like first one when they announced new Doom, it was just black box with Doom name on it. There are also two cool looking box art done on Neogaf forum, both with yellow-red colors and skull/Mars elements.

almost every other cover would be a better cover - even the black/white placeholder would fit better

at least the CE got the revenant on it, that's ok

What could be more descriptive than doomguy above a rock shooting undescriptive demons that are not even in the game.

This Cyberdemon picture I found when checking out The Art of Doom book on the Bethesda store is perfect.

Why not put THAT on the cover, the Cyberdemon says it all! It's demonic, it's futuristic. Flesh, metal. It says so much and the Cyberdemon is arguably the most iconic monster in the series.

Doomkid said:

AoD style cover >>>>>> CoD style cover.

Honestly, doing an Army of Darkness style cover is just about as lazy as doing a Call of Duty one. And outdated.

kelliegator said:

This Cyberdemon picture I found when checking out The Art of Doom book on the Bethesda store is perfect.

Why not put THAT on the cover, the Cyberdemon says it all! It's demonic, it's futuristic. Flesh, metal. It says so much and the Cyberdemon is arguably the most iconic monster in the series.

You mean like that?

Spoiler

It looks like there might be a version with the Cyberdemon.

Sigh... great. So even if we don't get the generic "Doomguy standing blankly" cover we will instead get a cover with the stupid poorly designed Cyberdemon. That also confirms they aren't going to change a damn thing about the Cyberdemon design either. Especially not when the release date is right around the corner.

I also hate the piss fog behind Doomguy. Why piss yellow? Why not black and red color scheming? To be honest the original placeholder artwork Hofmann posted was much better than the current version. Was it plain? Yes. But it popped out at you because of how it looked. It would stand out on the shelf that way. And nothing spells DOOM like jet black. The color of hopelessness.

RUSH said:

Sigh... great. So even if we don't get the generic "Doomguy standing blankly" cover we will instead get a cover with the stupid poorly designed Cyberdemon. That also confirms they aren't going to change a damn thing about the Cyberdemon design either. Especially not when the release date is right around the corner.

I also hate the piss fog behind Doomguy. Why piss yellow? Why not black and red color scheming? To be honest the original placeholder artwork Hofmann posted was much better than the current version. Was it plain? Yes. But it popped out at you because of how it looked. It would stand out on the shelf that way. And nothing spells DOOM like jet black. The color of hopelessness.

I couldn't agree more. Fuck that goofy looking cyberdemon. And the box art with the new Doomguy just standing there looks very Call of Duty. Could the black box with DOOM being the only thing on it be better? Sure. But it's preferable to the crap boxes they chose instead.

That being said, I don't really give a fuck about box art.

Face23785 said:

I couldn't agree more. Fuck that goofy looking cyberdemon. And the box art with the new Doomguy just standing there looks very Call of Duty. Could the black box with DOOM being the only thing on it be better? Sure. But it's preferable to the crap boxes they chose instead.

Amen!

The original mail-order Doom has by far the most beautiful and wonderful box art that I've ever seen. Doom 2's was excellent, too. Doom 3's was dog shit and both the Doom regular and collector's edition boxes are crap, too (though not as bad as Doom 3's, that was just complete shit).

Plasma Gun said:

Amen!

The original mail-order Doom has by far the most beautiful and wonderful box art that I've ever seen. Doom 2's was excellent, too. Doom 3's was dog shit and both the Doom regular and collector's edition boxes are crap, too (though not as bad as Doom 3's, that was just complete shit).

how can this generic space marine cover be better than the doom 3 cover? really don't understand your rant at the doom 3 cover, I like it - doom 3 hellknight is awesome and I'm happy they put him in the new game too

there comes nothing close to the classic covers, but this space marine cover is not doom worthy

Yeah it's fan art I found when I was searching up Doom covers. I think it'd be a cooler cover than the one we have currently IMHO.

Almonds said:

>color degradation in the letters not consistent thus completely fucking up the "small mountains" visual effect in the original
its shit

I never saw them as mountains (or more accurately pyramids) in the original cover. Interesting

Now i'll preorder Collector's Doom TWICE, if it had this as a cover.

And it says DOOM. Like day one buy for me.

Spoiler

It's a reference to Daisy if anyone didn't get it.

Now imagine you come across a rabbit in game, if not a real rabbit maybe the image of a rabbit in some magazine or something.

I can't believe people actually like the black box with a logo. I don't get it.

Also, I haven't been following the discussions too much but I've seen the Cyberdemon in the CGI trailer and on the cover. I see people bitch and moan and whine about it all the time. What exactly is wrong with it?