• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

NOVA III [LINK TO NEW THREAD IN OP]

Krenium said:

Out of curiosity, what would you say, broadly, are the 'types of gameplay?'

No strict definitions, I've meant just something like:
-casual - shooting monsters as you go, which feels "relaxing" for you, preferably spiced-up with unique designs and scenarios in order to not become boring
-atmospheric - getting immersed by the setting, feeling like you could be there in the game, admiring the level's architecture and visuals
-exploratory - searching for clues or solving "puzzles" in order to find secrets, optional areas or even mandatory areas
-challenge oriented - being required to use your maneuvering skill, quick reflexes and knowledge of the game's specific mechanics as best as you can in order to beat the map
-or a mixture of them, in any ratio

Outrageous Videos said:

Sory guys i might have to drop out i haven't had enough time to work on the map and i am busy for the next month lots of school therapy and family matters :/ I haven't had much time to work on the map and my designs aren't nearly as good as these design i've seen

No worries, hopefully you can get through all that and come back at some point! Sign-ups will always be open for as long as we're looking for maps, so don't be worried about asking to rejoin in a couple months if we're still looking for more contributions.

Only just noticed I'm no longer in the backup slots for the Hell episode, and am now in the 10 chosen ones. This means I may now actually have to make something....

CWolfRu said:

DONE.

Title: Khmeer Agul Tan
Player starts: all 4
Main difficulty: UV (other included too)
Requires n3tx from 1st post
MIDI: my own. Name: "Erebus" initiative
Download

So the start was very frenetic, I would say that cutting down on the hitscanners would probably be a good idea as I died several times until I found a successful route out of the main central area. Beyond that nothing gave me too much trouble, the monster placement aside from the start area is a little sketchy with some monsters not used to full effect and the use of heavy weapons and monsters seems to be more for the sake of use rather than to hinder the player. I would almost suggest scrapping the cybers and the BFG altogether and go for more mid-tier monsters and keep the highest weapon as the plasma gun, adding more rockets instead of plasma might be a good idea. Oh and add some arch viles :)
The progression is a little hard to grasp at times as others have suggested. the yellow to blue key part is probably the most confusing as picking up the yellow key lowers the route to the yellow key switch in a previously visited area. I think marking the entrance to that section with a yellow key door would be much clearer. The same goes for the blue to red key stretch as again it isn't that clear that you need to revisit some areas again to proceed.
Despite this, I think the map has a lot of promise and I think that a few adjustments to the gameplay and progression would see this rise up to a very fine map. Keep it up.

NOVA III: Tenacious Trinity is a pretty cool name for this wad IMO, does everyone agree?

I love how the screenshots look like this is going to be a step up from the other two NOVAs, it seems to get more professional each time as everyone tries to up the ante and make the coolest map.

an_mutt said:

Absolutely loving the sound of these, especially #2. That midi in particular deserves some fleshing out. If you don't make some midis for this, I will be quite upset.

Fun fact, #2 started as this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/e5v9b58vi6wujqk/2_originstory.mid

The changed was too abrupt, of course, so that one became its own piece.

Through that I discovered the taiko drum (and the pseudo-oriental style), however. This speedpiece that followed soon after is, I think, my favorite of any I have composed: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6wg24m19hev6c79/D_RUNNIN.mid. More suited for girls dancing than killing demons, okay, maybe, but my own background music selections in general tend to be hilariously mellow in comparison to the inevitable bloodshed.

kildeth said:

NOVA III: Tenacious Trinity is a pretty cool name for this wad IMO, does everyone agree?

It's OK, I think.

The progress of my map after a few evenings of work. The layout is not yet complete, the detailing is very poor.

Spoiler

Just a lil' question.

Can I post Deathmatch maps to complement NOVA III? It would be a heaven for DM players! ;)

Vanger_ru said:

The progress of my map after a few evenings of work. The layout is not yet complete, the detailing is very poor.

I like it. Looks reminiscent of 'Sensorium' from the original NOVA (one of the maps I worked on).

Good stuff, Angry Saint. Especially this screenshot:

Spoiler

The only thing I can think of is that it needs a small bit of red, but that's about it. Can't wait to see how it plays!

Me and Fragman are currently doing a mapping session at my place, nerding out and listening to some good game OSTs.

Have some WIP pics of my map, El Dorado. Fragman told me to name it El Doomrado, but this sadly isn't a jokewad.
Still needs a good detailing pass, but the general idea is there.

Spoiler

an_mutt said:

Good stuff, Angry Saint. Especially this screenshot:

The only thing I can think of is that it needs a small bit of red, but that's about it. Can't wait to see how it plays!

Yes, probably because there is not all the red from the sky. Thank you for your suggestion!

Screenshots look rad guys.

PS rather than using my dumpster midis, I'd also like to take a crack at making a midi specifically for a particular map so once a demo comes out I'd be glad to

Now that I think about it, by the way, how're we going to go about arranging the map slots?

MFG38 said:

Now that I think about it, by the way, how're we going to go about arranging the map slots?

By theme and difficulty?

Angry Saint said:

By theme and difficulty?

Yeah, but I meant if we can just all map into MAPxx and the actual slots will be decided later.

NeedHealth said:

Is there place for an other submission?

If you mean is there additional spaces outside of the main 32 maps then yes! All extra maps made for the project will be included in an extra episode that will be included in the main NOVA III file.

I'm really liking the atmosphere that you're going for, Stiffy! The areas in the middle two you've posted do look a fair bit boxy, unfortunately, but I like that you have windows and cliffs to allow for vantage points and some amount of map interconnectivity. Can't wait to play it!

Still got any space for this? I'm thinking of making a Hell-themed level for this, but I'll contribute to whatever's available.

The map is flat, but I don't know what to do so it isn't flat.
Here is a preview. It uses the NOVA III resourse pack extensively so be warned!

Despite taking slot 25, put it wherever you want.

first of all, there's a MAP01 that is similar to this map (MAP25), but both are very simplistic.

and I don't see a lot of effort in this at all, with arch-viles behind bigger monsters allowing them to be resurrected. worst of all, there's no exit in either map. You really need to try a lot harder than this.

also mutt, I'd like a playtesting position please. I will probably no longer be mapping anymore anyways, for real this time.