Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thedeadgmr

How has Doomworld survived nearly 20 years

This site is nearly 20 years old, but at the time of me posting it has about ~300 users onlines. It's old school and weeks of early internet, but still kinda cool

Ask Lord Linguica. It took him a lot of effort and commitment to keep this site going for so long...

Looked him up, hes so important to doom that he even has a page on the wiki. Saw that he posted only just the other day, it's wierd to see accounts from the 90s still active on forums

If there is interest in something, there will be a community to keep it alive. Doom modding has been a thing for nearly a quarter century and the flexibility of the engine (as well as ease of use) certainly didn't hurt. No doubt this forum and site would have died long ago if there wasn't such rampant interest in tinkering with the game's guts.

Because people are still interested in Doom after 20 years. Doomworld has also sort of become the hub of the community, where all subcommunities of the larger Doom community meet, that's how I feel anyway. If you really want to see a site who lasted way longer than it should have, check out the official Space Jam website.

HavoX said:

Ask Lord Linguica. It took him a lot of effort and commitment to keep this site going for so long...

I left completely for like 5 years at one point you know...

Well, I mean, mapping for a 1993/1994 game is pretty fuckin' good.
Nobody gives a damn about mapping for a 1998 game because it's a lot more difficult than Doom Builder.

Mapping for Doom can be weird, too. I didn't for years because 14-year-old me (circa 1999, trying to use DEEP) couldn't wrap my mind around linedefs, sectors, tags, middle textures, all that shit, especially when the best editors around offered only rudimentary previews of what you were making. I was expecting it to be more straightforwardly 3D, and the idea of trying to imagine everything in 2.5D was beyond me. I don't know if Doom modding is as easy as we think it is.

Frisky said:

Well, I mean, mapping for a 1993/1994 game is pretty fuckin' good.
Nobody gives a damn about mapping for a 1998 game because it's a lot more difficult than Doom Builder.

Half Life?

Retro gaming has made a comeback over the past 10 years or so. It mainly started with the Angry Video Game Nerd and all those other "retro game critics" making Youtube videos around 2007. That fad has since died but the interest in retro games continues. I see them at my local game store. NES, SNES, Gameboy color, you name it. All the oldies are there, some very expensive. Plus the popularity of Minecraft shows not everyone gives a shit about cutting edge graphics.

It was inevitable that interest in Doom would continue when it is one of the most important games of all time. Arguably THE most important when it comes to first person shooters. And with a huge modding and mapping community, people were bound to become interested. I don't think this game will ever die. It's still fun to play, just like so many other old games. FPS games dominate the market and Doom is different enough to be refreshing, nostalgic and unique all at once. It can appeal to modern gamers and young kids. Plus it's a badass concept. Demons and shotguns. Oh baby! Who doesn't like that?

If the question is "How", because it avoided all the "isms".. You know the ones. NewDoomisms, Doom Connectorisms, Skulltagisms, etc. Now I loved all those communities while they were around, but in hindsight - Considering the way things are done and have been done - It's not surprising DW is still around while those and several other prominent Ex-Doom hubs have fallen to the wayside.

thedeadgmr said:

To be fair Doom modding tools theses days now do 90% of it for you, and work more like unreal or hammer than anything else

And that's a good thing. Creativity shouldn't be hindered by the tools used.

boris said:

And that's a good thing. Creativity shouldn't be hindered by the tools used.

Never said it wasn't, just saying the programs now do a lot of the tedious little things that you'd otherwise have to do by hand

Hey, shouldn't this thread be posted under Doom General. Just wondering...

... Anyways with all the Doom mods, maps and more that are constantly being uploaded, updated and upgraded it is great that there is still a place where we can discuss anything Doom related today.

Halfblind said:

Hey, shouldn't this thread be posted under Doom General. Just wondering...

... Anyways with all the Doom mods, maps and more that are constantly being uploaded, updated and upgraded it is great that there is still a place where we can discuss anything Doom related today.

It's a mazing a game can be disscussed and modded for so long. Even the modding giants Hl1+2 have dead modding communitys, with gmod being the only thing keeping it relevant

thedeadgmr said:

It's a mazing a game can be disscussed and modded for so long. Even the modding giants Hl1+2 have dead modding communitys, with gmod being the only thing keeping it relevant

Doom is substantially easier to mod and make amazing MegaWADS, TCs and sourceports from. The effort you have to do to make a decent campaign in Quake is exponentially harder than in Doom

GoatLord said:

If there is interest in something, there will be a community to keep it alive. Doom modding has been a thing for nearly a quarter century and the flexibility of the engine (as well as ease of use) certainly didn't hurt. No doubt this forum and site would have died long ago if there wasn't such rampant interest in tinkering with the game's guts.

This,

Also the surge of popularity that mods like Brutal Doom has facilitated. Which leads people to discover other mods, and so forth.

gaspe said:

And the article it's actually written by himself. LOL.

Well, who else would want to write the article?