Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Wombat Cave

Will Doom 2016 have Virtual Reality Support?

I am an avid Virtual Reality user and absolutely love to play Doom 3 in VR using my Oculus Dev kit. I have ordered Oculus CV1, Virtuix Omni, and Sixense Stem in prep for VR games in 2016. I was extremely saddened to hear the new Doom did not support VR. Can anyone confirm for sure weather or not it will work on Oculus CV1? I have not preordered the game for this reason, and don't care to purchase unless it can be played on the new hardware.

There has been zero talk of VR support in the last few years. Carmack was a big pusher of getting full Oculus support into Doom, but then he left. To go and work for Oculus. And then there was a lawsuit between the two about who owned the code he had written. So it's unlikely now.

I feel like there would have been at least some mention of it in the recent media blitz if it was going to have support.

I asked this question in the Q&A of pcgames.de. Regarding to them, iD says a big, fat: NO(!!!).

I guess they don't wanna support Carmack...guess the split might not have been on best terms?

I can only hope they change their mind along the road if VR really becomes a thing. Playing Half Life 2 on the Oculus DK2 make tons of fun...

tuo said:

I asked this question in the Q&A of pcgames.de. Regarding to them, iD says a big, fat: NO(!!!).

I guess they don't wanna support Carmack...guess the split might not have been on best terms?

I can only hope they change their mind along the road if VR really becomes a thing. Playing Half Life 2 on the Oculus DK2 make tons of fun...

I agree HL2, especially with the razer hydra. Doom with a VR headset, an omnidirectional treadmill, and motion controllers would be the pinnacle of gaming. I think as VR takes off they will be forced to add support to stay relevant. Fingers crossed.

tuo said:

Not the best of terms? There was a literal lawsuit between the owner of his old employer and his new employer.

It's not like Oculus is the only VR headset in the entire world, there's Sony's and Valve's, for example. So it's dumb they wouldn't at least go for those.

Jaxxoon R said:

It's not like Oculus is the only VR headset in the entire world, there's Sony's and Valve's, for example. So it's dumb they wouldn't at least go for those.

While I agree, I actually hope the different VR systems (at least on one platform, regarding PC it would be Oculus and Valve) share a similar or slightly similar SDK.

Then again, we all know if Valve really is desperate and want's to win this race, they release Half Life 3 with Vive-only support...still can't believe they don't have HL3 in development as an Ace up their sleves)

I played around with both versions of the Oculus Rift DKs, and while I am mostly looking forward to it regarding racing simulations (where you don't have to look at your hands) and space simulations like Elite: Dangerous (where I see a bigger problem regarding buttons you don't use often, here I think the Vive will have an advantage with the inbuilt Camera), I still believe that FPS is a very, very good VR-experience, especially after testing it on Half Life 2 (allthough I sometimes had to work against sickness if something pushed me back, my brain said "you have been pushed back" but my body/ears said "nope"...)

tuo said:

While I agree, I actually hope the different VR systems (at least on one platform, regarding PC it would be Oculus and Valve) share a similar or slightly similar SDK.

Then again, we all know if Valve really is desperate and want's to win this race, they release Half Life 3 with Vive-only support...still can't believe they don't have HL3 in development as an Ace up their sleves)

I played around with both versions of the Oculus Rift DKs, and while I am mostly looking forward to it regarding racing simulations (where you don't have to look at your hands) and space simulations like Elite: Dangerous (where I see a bigger problem regarding buttons you don't use often, here I think the Vive will have an advantage with the inbuilt Camera), I still believe that FPS is a very, very good VR-experience, especially after testing it on Half Life 2 (allthough I sometimes had to work against sickness if something pushed me back, my brain said "you have been pushed back" but my body/ears said "nope"...)

I also enjoy my Rift for simulators, namely Elite Dangerous. I found using the X52 Pro and Voice Attack made it so I did not need the keyboard at all for Elite, just a tip.

But, there is just something about playing an FPS in VR while standing with a gun in your hands that makes you feel awesome, especially in the gruesome badassness that Doom and Quake give. I do believe VR is the future, and that it will take hold quicker than most people think.