Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NeedHealth

Umberto Eco has died aged 84

Umberto Eco was one of the best authors of the 20th century and, as my friend remarked, one of the very few that wasn't overrated. It was never a question if his books were good enough, it was a question of you being good enough for his books. The amount of research and preparation he put into his books was amazing. He will be sorely missed.

As an aspiring fanfic writer novelist, I'm afraid to admit I've never heard of him. dew's review seems fairly interesting, however. Is there anything in particular someone here would personally suggest?

Clonehunter said:

As an aspiring fanfic writer novelist, I'm afraid to admit I've never heard of him. dew's review seems fairly interesting, however. Is there anything in particular someone here would personally suggest?

The Name of the rose, set in a monastery in Italy during Middle Age.

I'd say not being an English-writing author automatically means less global renown. That isn't a jab at anything, it simply works like that.

I haven't read all of his books (which I'll probably try to fix now), but The Name of the Rose is probably the best one to start with. It's one of his earlier novels, arguably the most famous one. It's also very captivating despite its famous complexity that has you rummaging through footnotes and map drawings. As Angry Saint mentioned, it's a detective tale set in a medieval monastery, but that plot is more of a vehicle for depicting the era, the environment, the hunts on heretical orders, etc.

My personal favourite is Foucault's Pendulum. It's a contemporary one (at least used to be in the late 80's) and it's your classic tale of ancient conspiracies spanning civilizations and faiths. You know, the shit that makes Dan Brown a very rich man despite not coming up with a single original idea. Except Eco sort of mocks the entire concept by coming up with the grandest conspiracy to end all conspiracies. Again, the core plot often gives way to lengthy tangents about popular historic topics shrouded in mystery like the Templars, Hashashins and various secret societies. I love the book!

NeedHealth said:

Anyone remember watching that 80s flick "In the name of the Rose" in school? I do... because NAKED HUMAN.

That Sean Connery movie? Great flick, Seriously underated... Ron Pearlman ftw

In "the name of the rose" it's said that laughter invokes the devil, they prefer burning books (so ancient they weren't even books yet, they were paper rolls) before having anyone know the truth, and they hide homosexuality behind the pius mask.
It's a movie/book of historical proportions in everyway possible.