Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Should Doomguy speak?

I've noticed in most of the trailers we've seen that Doomguy doesn't exactly say much. I fact, i don't think he's even utter a word yet!

Now should he talk?

I say no. Coming from playing Doom 1 and 2, the only thing i heard of the doomguy was from him getting injured and dying. That's it. And yet I like the badass. Maybe it could be the face we've seen of him in the hud, or the short story paragraphs you read after a certain chapter/map completed. Just having him silent and holding a big boomstick was enough for me.

Now the new Doom seems to be going in the same direction of keeping him silent. Which is good! But I think he's a bit too silent. From no grunts or ECHS from getting hit (only bleeps and bloops), to not even screaming WHILE YOUR FUCKING LIMBS ARE BEING PULLED OUTTA YOUR BODY. This is a nitpick from Doom4, albeit a curious one. He's a bit too silent...

Like a robot.

Maybe ingame he will speak something, or at least react to damage, but so far no trailers seems hinting of this. It could be in the game already, but none of the trailers have shown said sounds, for the possible reason of it not being an appealing thing in a trailer. Now i don't want him to be a basic soldier spouting shit all over the place, but i also don't want him to be a lifeless object, either. Kind of a middle ground...

Potatoguy said:

i don't think he's even utter a word yet!

And I would prefer it stay that way.

Doomguy has never spoken in games, and I wouldn't expect him to start now. The odd pain sound is about as much as I would expect. Which is fine really.

I've always liked the idea of Doomguy being an empty shell protagonist. It makes him neutral. How can you dislike his personality? He's basically you (the player) and nothing more. Which is perfect. No talking would be preferred.

No, never. Besides, he is all alone among demons, why should he speak to them? All he's gotta do is kill them.

I did find it awkward when there were conversing moments in Doom 3 and the guy didn't speak any words... but I doubt there's going to be a lot of conversing in doom 4, more pew pew.

If Doomguy speaks... he should sound like TerminusEst13.

Why? Have you seen any of his livestreams? Lol

His laugh would fit Doomguy's maniacal face perfectly when he's gibbing enemies and basking in the blood of his enemies which is raining down upon him, as the entrails of his demon foes lay splayed out on the floor and intestines are flying as the grey matter of the brains hit the wall!

Wait was that a bit graphic?

Sorry, I just like Doom. =)

If they want to return to old school shooters with no reloading then it makes sense for the protagonist to not utter a word. I'm very skeptical about the concept of adding voices to Doom as I find most games with character acting breaks immersion and generally unrelated or even unlikable.

Besides I'm sure DoomGuy is just a man of Action - if he disproves of something you would likely know it. If he approves you would likely be around to ponder about it.

TheDarkKnight said:

Do I think he should speak? Nope. Would I mind seeing or hearing him express his rage? Absolutely not:)

Like his taunt in Quake 3 Arena?

I'd rather he not speak, I even didn't so much like how they made B.J. Blaskowicz speak in W2009 and TNO as it is.

I think the real question is, are we ever going to see his face outside of the helmet?

Also, he does in a way show some emotions that we know of, like someone else mentioned the scream in the trailer as his legs are ripped off. But, there's also the fact that he examines a new gun when he picks it up.

I'm sure he is at least gonna make sounds when he is hurt, like he has done before.

And I think that "scream" in the trailer is just there as ambient sound.

I guess it depends. I don't expect him to be a raging meathead like in the "Inside Doomguy's Mind" video on YouTube, but I don't think we need melodramatic, somber-voiced cutscene reflections about how his daddy beat him and he's tired of fighting and doesn't know what keeps him breathing and yet has to keep moving because with every shot fired you get closer to The Truth or some canned shite like that.

If the story ever called for it, I'd say go for it, but keep it short. I think the Gordon Freeman approach is way too unnatural.

what I would personally like to hear or see in the new game is every time doomguy speaks or raises his voice he raises his index finger and we immediately get carried over to either a panoramic view of the room hes currently in or an outer view of the location and there's something like heavy machinery roaring loudly or cargo ships buzzing through, and once we're let back in the room again the person he was speaking with just goes 'thats really good [SUDDEN PANORAMIC VIEW OF THE LOCATION AGAIN AND THE SOUNDS ARE LOUDER], will do', to which doomguy nods and goes on his way

I've always thought of Doomguy as some roided out psychopath. Christ you'd have to be if you're going up against legions of hellspawn.

In terms of personality he hasn't really expressed any which leaves him as an open template a bit. But if he had a persona he might not even be what you'd call hero material, just a necessary evil that you're glad is on your side.

Whatever the case you'd have to be nothing less than a "berserker packin man and a half" to go head first into this kinda shit.

I didn't even like the fact that they put other survivors with you in Doom 3, they sould've all died.

Xaero_Four said:

I've always thought of Doomguy as some roided out psychopath.

I don't think so, from what you can tell the experience traumatized him. Have you read the stuff he says in Quake 3 Arena? He presents signs of post-stress traumatic disorder and the other arena gladiators refer to him as "schizo".

Xerge said:

I don't think so, from what you can tell the experience traumatized him. Have you read the stuff he says in Quake 3 Arena? He presents signs of post-stress traumatic disorder and the other arena gladiators refer to him as "schizo".

i really don't take anything from post 98-era ID as canon, especially regarding doom

and most certainly not quake 3 arena

Almonds said:

i really don't take anything from post 98-era ID as canon, especially regarding doom

and most certainly not quake 3 arena

Because Quake 1 to Quake 2 makes sense from a canon perspective

wheresthebeef said:

Because Quake 1 to Quake 2 makes sense from a canon perspective

They hardly were related, but...Fun fact of the day: Quake 1 definitely had crates with Strogg symbols on it, and enemies (Enforcers) that were very much like the Strogg soldiers.

Plus, Quake had those Slipgates which one could argue that one of them would lead to the Quake 2, or even the Doom universe, or all of them in one (Quake 3).