Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Should Doomguy speak?

TheWizard said:

Quake 1 definitely had crates with Strogg symbols on it

In Quake's Manual the story states that the grunts steal equipment from human installations, so maybe there's Strogg Equipment in those human installations, but I always thought that the guys at ID were too lazy to create another symbol or texture for the crates in Quake 2.

Xerge said:

In Quake's Manual the story states that the grunts steal equipment from human installations, so maybe there's Strogg Equipment in those human installations, but I always thought that the guys at ID were too lazy to create another symbol or texture for the crates in Quake 2.

I just checked and you do come across those crates in the human installations, the first levels of each episode, so these guys got Strogg equipment somehow or Quake is the planet of the stroggs before they become the stroggs, imagine that, althought I still think ID is lazy.

You guys just pop out with silly ideas from nowhere, hell ... Speaking doomguy ? how's that going to turn out like ? Duke Nukem or Caleb ? .

Xerge said:

I don't think so, from what you can tell the experience traumatized him. Have you read the stuff he says in Quake 3 Arena? He presents signs of post-stress traumatic disorder and the other arena gladiators refer to him as "schizo".

Yeah but so what? Regardless if you wanna regard Q3 as canon, the fact that a single man turned back an army of demons means you gotta be made of the toughest shit. Something along the lines of what I described probably wouldn't be too far off.

Xaero_Four said:

you gotta be made of the toughest shit.

Or become the toughest shit you can become, I don't buy the "Hollywood" tough hero type, where the protagonist is a bad ass from beginning to end without some serious struggling, vulnerability and suffering in the process, even if you read the stuff it says between episodes and between levels in Doom and Doom2 you can tell Doomguy isn't having a good time, he even seems to feel frustrated at the ending of knee deep in the dead.

wheresthebeef said:

Because Quake 1 to Quake 2 makes sense from a canon perspective

the drastically different tonality between games is due to the fact that ID originally meant to start a brand new franchise with the release of quake 2 but ended up discarding that idea in the end in favor of instant brand recognition, so they ended up sprinkling around direct nods to the first game (the box symbols for instance which back then had no meaning at all or significance lore-wise) and calling it an official sequel to it so as to make it easier for id fans to recognize given that the garish, high tech scifi type environment was already familiarized with the first quake

i don't even know why you brought this up but ok

Xerge said:

Or become the toughest shit you can become, I don't buy the "Hollywood" tough hero type, where the protagonist is a bad ass from beginning to end without some serious struggling, vulnerability and suffering in the process, even if you read the stuff it says between episodes and between levels in Doom and Doom2 you can tell Doomguy isn't having a good time, he even seems to feel frustrated at the ending of knee deep in the dead.

Hell, Doomguy almost gave himself away and surrendered to death in Doom 2.

Xaero_Four said:

I've always thought of Doomguy as some roided out psychopath.

The original Doom story mentioned that he was willing to risk his own neck to prevent his Commanding Officer from killing innocent civilians - a psychopath would never do something like that unless he could somehow use it to cause even more pain and suffering on others, and I don't buy that he would have been able to predict the Hell invasion on Mars and deliberately get himself kicked up there just so he could have "fun" killing demons 3 years later.

He could still be emotionally stunted from years of brutal combat experience on Earth prior to his transfer to Mars, but that doesn't make him a psychopath.

Leaving Doom and Doom 2 aside, I did sense that the Doom3 guy was a bit fucked up in the head, maybe not a psychopath, but he seemed psychotic.

Rembmer that scene in the bathroom? I think that was his own fucked up mind messing with him. It was also weird he didn't say a word even when he was around other people who talked to him.

Psychotic and autistic.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You guys just pop out with silly ideas from nowhere, hell ... Speaking doomguy ? how's that going to turn out like ? Duke Nukem or Caleb ? .

I don't want doomguy speaking to be a thing. I'm glad that most people here agree with that idea. I'd just want to hear out from other users about this.

Glaice said:

Pain and death sounds only, no dialogue.

THIS. Having doomguy spouting one-liners like Duke Nukem or Brutal Doom doomguy will just make him silly and ridiculous, in a bad way. Well, maybe the "Fuck Yourself" line from BD may be an exception, but i won't miss if it isn't in there. It's just from the trailers i've seen that he doesn't even give grunts or death screams, which is quite disconcerning. Its a good thing that those grunts/death sounds seem to have stayed.

Almonds said:

the drastically different tonality between games is due to the fact that ID originally meant to start a brand new franchise with the release of quake 2 but ended up discarding that idea in the end in favor of instant brand recognition, so they ended up sprinkling around direct nods to the first game (the box symbols for instance which back then had no meaning at all or significance lore-wise) and calling it an official sequel to it so as to make it easier for id fans to recognize given that the garish, high tech scifi type environment was already familiarized with the first quake

i don't even know why you brought this up but ok

So brand recognition is the reason Quake 1 and 2 are canon but Quake 3 isn't?
I'm literally just going off the logic you've given thus far by disregarding anything past 1998 as non-canon but seemingly having no actual reason to.

Yes, Doomguy should be spouting one-liners in the vein of Duke3D or Shadow Warrior but with more raunchy and excessive profanity.

I don't think he will speak, but I know his origins have changed and we will learn more about him.

Things I noticed:
Doomguy was a Marine, and sole survivor thoughout the previous games.
In D00M 2016, the Doomguy is still a Marine, however this time he is 'activated' and deployed to the UAC facility to destroy all of the demonic forces. He is not a part of an existing Marine element like Doom 3 or the sole survivor of one (doom & doom 2)

I think the Doomguy is part of a UAC Super-soldier program, in an exosuit that is a hyrbid of UAC technology and satanic 'advancements', and that he has been through a great deal of psychiatric treatments rending him in to this cold silent type that isn't afraid and non-susceptible to demonic possessions.

Just a theory though.

If he's gonna be interacting with other survivors then have him speak, only there should he have a voice. Doom guy doesn't need to talk out loud to himself every 5 minutes like BJ did in TNO. Don't give him the voice of a psycho like Brutal Doom guy. Make him impatient and frustrated, pissed off about the invasion but also tired and calm. Make it so he's straight to the point and isn't willing to take shit from people. That's the only situations I think he should speak, Doom 3 guy was weird where he never talked back.

Ginsu said:

I think the Doomguy is part of a UAC Super-soldier program, in an exosuit that is a hyrbid of UAC technology and satanic 'advancements', and that he has been through a great deal of psychiatric treatments rending him in to this cold silent type that isn't afraid and non-susceptible to demonic possessions.

Just a theory though.

That is...actually plausible. Maybe the Doomguy is the only specimen that wasn't a failure? Maybe someone outside or within the UAC tampered with him and prevented him from being mindless?

Xerge said:

Rembmer that scene in the bathroom? I think that was his own fucked up mind messing with him.

In that scene Hell tried to possess him but failed miserably.

DooM_RO said:

That is...actually plausible. Maybe the Doomguy is the only specimen that wasn't a failure? Maybe someone outside or within the UAC tampered with him and prevented him from being mindless?

I think the Marine is still 100% human. By super-soldier program I just refer to the tech stuff, the psychiatric treatments/conditioning just to prepare him for his role thats all.

His humanity is important for D00M given the whole Man overcoming Hell thing.

Potatoguy said:

I don't want doomguy speaking to be a thing. I'm glad that most people here agree with that idea. I'd just want to hear out from other users about this.

THIS. Having doomguy spouting one-liners like Duke Nukem or Brutal Doom doomguy will just make him silly and ridiculous, in a bad way. Well, maybe the "Fuck Yourself" line from BD may be an exception, but i won't miss if it isn't in there. It's just from the trailers i've seen that he doesn't even give grunts or death screams, which is quite disconcerning. Its a good thing that those grunts/death sounds seem to have stayed.

I wouldn't mind if Doomguy spoke like Caleb from Blood or Alucard from Hellsing Abridged. =3

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

"Have you heard the new sensation that's been sweeping the nation? Bitches love cannons!" (proceeds to fire super shotgun into demon's mouth)

I think some of you really need to understand that Doomguy is not having fun and isn't enjoying the situation he is in at all, he is pissed off and worried by the whole situation (and you can figure it out not only by reading what it says between episodes and levels but also by looking at his gestures on the status bar), actually I don't think he is supposed to be amused by it one bit, except when he finds a new and better weapon.

Doom is doomed if you really think of Doomguy as some sort of sadistic serial killer who is having a hard on everytime he kills a demon.

Potatoguy said:

I've noticed in most of the trailers we've seen that Doomguy doesn't exactly say much. I fact, i don't think he's even utter a word yet!

Now should he talk?

I say no. Coming from playing Doom 1 and 2, the only thing i heard of the doomguy was from him getting injured and dying. That's it. And yet I like the badass. Maybe it could be the face we've seen of him in the hud, or the short story paragraphs you read after a certain chapter/map completed. Just having him silent and holding a big boomstick was enough for me.

Now the new Doom seems to be going in the same direction of keeping him silent. Which is good! But I think he's a bit too silent. From no grunts or ECHS from getting hit (only bleeps and bloops), to not even screaming WHILE YOUR FUCKING LIMBS ARE BEING PULLED OUTTA YOUR BODY. This is a nitpick from Doom4, albeit a curious one. He's a bit too silent...

Like a robot.

Maybe ingame he will speak something, or at least react to damage, but so far no trailers seems hinting of this. It could be in the game already, but none of the trailers have shown said sounds, for the possible reason of it not being an appealing thing in a trailer. Now i don't want him to be a basic soldier spouting shit all over the place, but i also don't want him to be a lifeless object, either. Kind of a middle ground...

What you want Doomguy to be like Duke Nukem.
In case you guys are wondering, Doomguy is one of a kind. Strong. Resistant. Silent. And ideal soldier.

Master Chief, a Spartan-II was the only one to have the biggest power out of his other spartans: luck. And with great power comes great responsibilty. So Master Chief used it to lead anyone with him or not into victory or retreat, sharing his luck through orders and combat. And he barely says anything until he needs to.

Doomguy doesn't need orders now. It has always been to protect humanity at all costs and if possible, make the enemy suffer for their actions (Glory Kill).

And why should he grunt? The armor is taking the damage not him. He only shrugs it off, while keeping a note to self on checking out the damage later.

DooM_RO said:

That theory sounds really cool, would be a good twist if true.

Gordon Freeman didn't speak.
Link can't talk.
Mario doesn't say much (the Mario vs Donkey Kong series is an exception, but that's another story).
Mega Man didn't start speaking until the sixth game in the main series.
Kirby's speech is limited to Poyoism (and I find his voice VERY annoying).

Get the pattern here? Most video game protagonists benefit from being silent, and Doomguy shouldn't be an exception.

HavoX said:

Get the pattern here? Most video game protagonists benefit from being silent, and Doomguy shouldn't be an exception.

I doubt if Duke Nukem or Isaac Clarke (Dead Space (2,3)) could be has same benefit in this case you know.
I love Duke Nukem for his epic phrases. It's good and sounds realistic. I hate speechless/mute heroes. Why? Because they don't give a shit about what is going on around. Idea of speechless/mute heroes in that player could associate himself with heroes but two problem: It's not RPG and quite problematic to associate.

Don't know how about you but for me interesting and very important behavior of main character. I can't say so much about DoomGuy from Doom 3, Gordon from HL2 and Chell from Portal as they are silent. They are not so memorable and this is sad.