Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Doom theories

I'm making this thread for all of those theorists who have any ideas or questions about the lore and story of the new doom, for example; who is the doomguy, where and what is the icon of sin, why are there old weapons around hell, why is the cyberdemon ugly, and so on.

This has been said again and again

Doomguy is you.

Anyway...

Doomguy wakes up and realizes something fragging evil happened and so kills demons on his journey. He makes sure that the demons stay dead by horribly mangling them for no particular reason.

The Cyberdemon fought hard to become a Cyberdemon. He used to be all flesh. When he had gone on a fight to become superior, he lost a part of his antler. But victory wqs his and he was upgraded to Cyberdemon.

Old weapons, what?

My theory: Doomguy is a good man.

Voros said:

Old weapons, what?

In the hell gameplay at e3 you can see axes, arrows, swords, and old armor. I think it's because you aren't the first warrior the fight the forces of hell in hell itself, you're just the first with a big fuckin gun

I have two theories:

1. Doomguy is the first prototype that has been engineered by the UAC itself as a countermeasure to contain a possible demon invasion. This would make a lot of sense because scientitst should be smart enough to predict the possibility of an invasion and elaborate a countermeasure project in case of emergency.

2. Doomguy is a clone of the old Doomguy we know, and this game isn't really a reboot, but rather a sequel, and he serves the same porpuse as in the above theory; a countermeasure to contain the situation.

The 'old' weapons look Nordic, I'm guessing that hell tried to invade Earth directly, and Norse warriors fended them off, or when people die they are transported to hell with whatever objects they were buried with. That would explain the weapons as free Norse men were buried with their weapons.

RobbingSnake said:

The 'old' weapons look Nordic ( sorry if I'm wrong) but I'm guessing that hell tried to invade Earth directly, and Norse warriors fended them off, or when people died they were transported to hell with whatever objects they were buried with, that could explain the weapons as free Norse men were buried with their weapons.

What did I just read?

Might be purely decoration. It has a medieval look, and there's definitely some traditional Hell elements going on, so...I dunno, this seems like something that might not necessarily by anything beyond scenery.

I have another theory; that the Revenant's suit may have used for mining/construction/maintenance, the reasoning for this is that the facilities on Mars are very vertical, and may have required jetpacks to get around. Only staff that have been on Mars longer than usual could use them as it would require training, the staff have been on mars long enough for the lower gravity to have an effect on them making them (slightly) taller. When demons started to come through to Mars, the UAC weaponized these suits to carry projectile launchers, then the demons killed these makeshift soldiers and added them to their ranks.

GoatLord said:

Might be purely decoration. It has a medieval look, and there's definitely some traditional Hell elements going on, so...I dunno, this seems like something that might not necessarily by anything beyond scenery.

ID stated that they wanted to give Hell an ancient look (basically that's why they've used the remains of giant demons as decoration), so you feel you are somewhere that has existed for billions of years, and so that you wonder what has happened in it before you arrived, seems like they accomplished their objective judging by this thread.

Alright so here's my theory; the icon. I don't know if I'm crazy, but I've noticed how a lot of the demons share design elements with the original icon of sin (fangs in front of the teeth, the clef chin that spikes inward), so it can be assumed that he is there somewhere, maybe. Also he's a big demon, and iD has confirmed a place full of big dead demons called titans. What if one sinful titan decided he didn't like the other titans, so he killed all the other ones, that's why they're kind of lying there dead, so this demon was banished from hell, made his way to Mars, and died. What if thousands of years later the UAC found him and decided to base all Mars research around trying to find out what this thing is and how to use it?

Psycho11704 said:

Thank you for blessing us with your knowledge.

was not getting the reference part of your plan

BluePineapple72 said:

Alright so here's my theory; the icon. I don't know if I'm crazy, but I've noticed how a lot of the demons share design elements with the original icon of sin (fangs in front of the teeth, the clef chin that spikes inward), so it can be assumed that he is there somewhere, maybe. Also he's a big demon, and iD has confirmed a place full of big dead demons called titans. What if one sinful titan decided he didn't like the other titans, so he killed all the other ones, that's why they're kind of lying there dead, so this demon was banished from hell, made his way to Mars, and died. What if thousands of years later the UAC found him and decided to base all Mars research around trying to find out what this thing is and how to use it?

Interesting Theory. It somewhat reminds me of Half Life where the Brain Alien of Xen decided to break away from his conquering masters - The Combine. It used slaves and the planet's / dimension's ecosystem as soldiers in its invasion of Earth's Lab.

Back to Doom. The Icon of Sin could of very well been a Titan - One that summons a regular number of Hellspawn. It's possible that this particular Titan was probably locked and chained for that purpose. It's is enduring its own Hell in some sense. Whether it tried to break free via a portal to Earth or just doing Hell's Bidding it definitely would make sense why it would be considered a very important asset to Hell that wants to keep it in line.

Not related to the Doom story itself but the story surrounding the game; I wonder if Bethesda are trying to get classic FPS franchises to make a comeback? We've had Wolfenstein, Doom and I predict that this E3 we'll get a single player Quake (every 2 years Bethesda announces a new classic FPS). Anyone agree with me? Or maybe it's just Doom is coming out at an insanely lucky time and only because it spent so much time in development hell?

Bethesda bought id software, the creator of the "three big" classic FPS franchises. So it's not so much "wanting to bring classic FPSes back" and more "wanting to do something with thier investment". I doubt they want to just sit on those IPs and not do anything.

ID has said that there was religion involved with summoning the demons, from the multiplayer maps set in research areas we can tell that it would be very expensive to afford all of the equipment to summon and study the demons. The UAC probably found ruins of a civilization on Mars worshipping the demons and blueprints to create a structure that would summon them. They amassed funding to investigate the ruins, and used it to build the structure and summon the demons. The demons then invaded, the UAC took countermeasures to prevent the demon takeover, and you know the rest.

Maybe this is something Hell does. Kinda like in Predator, they hunt for sport to find a worthy opponent. Maybe there have been many "Doomguys" over the centuries. Hence old weaponry and fallen titans, etc. Some Diablo shit right there.

Theory

Doomguy is stuck on (PLACE) on (JOB) duty. All for doing (THING). Now he sees that the whole facility is compromised and he doesn't know by what. Doomguy gets out and explores the area and finds out the cause. He thinks some back up is required to finish this new enemy so Doomguy escapes each area, hoping to find a communication center. On the final area lays the teleporter and Doomguy couldn't find one communication terminal. Since he sees he is well stocked in weapons and ammo, he decides to go in himself, knowing he can't call for back up and he is only hope left to fight this. After fighting through uncharted territory, he encounters (BOSS). Doomguy plans to kill it with some strategy going through his head. Why he found a chainsaw in a facility for research, BFG hidden away... Doomguy doesn't know nor care. He justs wants to live.

Clonehunter said:

Literally what

Psycho11704 said:

Thank you for blessing us with your knowledge.

okay so i'm actually gonna have to do this

I'll chime in..

Here's a bit of my head lore about DooM that can apply to all the different "canons".

Hell, for whatever reason, enjoys conquering and assimilating various civillizations, and the various different species of Demon are simply ones that have been assimilated and modified (through demonic, genetic and cybernetic means) into their armies, I'm going to base this off of the new monsters but its open to interpretation:

It started with the Baron of Hell/ Cyberdemon/ Pinky Demon "horned, hooved armadillo armored mammal" civillization, the original Demons.

Then the Mancubus/Cacodemon "gaseous cyclops" civillization, i'm going on the fact they look very similar to one another.

Then the Arachnotron/Mastermind (we haven't seen what they look like yet, no conf on the Arachno), "Brain Alien" civilization.

Then the Hell Knight/Imp "Exoskeleton Amphibian thingy" civilization, I have a feeling the Arch-vile will follow the theme here.

Then you know what civilizations next to be assimilated.. The Revenant "Human" civilization.

Of course the err, themes are a bit different in the original canon, i'd assume the Mancubus and Arch-vile were related in the original (the heads are very similar), and the Hell Knights were part of the Horned Mammal civilization back then. If you noticed, the demons you fight in the first DooM weren't an invasion force, they were fodder.

Here is the real headfuck:

The Icon of Sin can only spawn Demons correct? Then why does it spawn revenants.. because they are the Demonic form of Humans like all the other monsters are the demonic versions of their civilizations. The Pillars in E1M8 represent the civilizations that have been conquered..

So...

First the First Baron rose to construct Hell.
Slowly, smaller version appeared to manifest Hell, the Pinkies.
As well as more Barons taking control of Hell.
When the the need for flight occured due to unstable terrain, Cacodemons appeared. They also added protection.
Then the Barons started experimenting with DNA, and produced the Hellknight, strong enough to protect and serve Hell, but not enough to take on the Barons.
Then the Barons started more experiments on something smaller faster and agile. Thus came the Imp.
After that, the brains of Hell started to form naturally, and the Arachnotrons, with their transportation came.
The Barons put the spiders in charge of technology, with each upgrade and request must be confirmed by the Barons.
The spiders suggested the usage of cybernetics on a Baron, who is both strong and stable.
Through many procedures, the Cyberdemon was formed. But at a large cost.
The Barons were impressed but didn't like the huge amount of resources required to create just one.
The spiders produced a blueprint that showed a new advancement.
But Hell needed to be in business to do so. The beginning of mankind happened.
Souls came in, which were either punished in ugly ways or transformed into Lost Souls. Thus came those demon.
But casulties started coming in. Hell needed new demons to replace them. The Summoner come forth to aid Hell.
The spiders yet again made another blueprint for the usage on combining the Cacodemon,Hellknight. The Hellknight strength and Caco's eyesight produced a layered demon, named the Mancubus. Which got major cybernetics added to make these thing possible to control.
The original blueprint was a success beyond what both Barons and spiders thought.
The agility, power and determination of these abominations. They got the nickname of Revenant, souls back from the dead.
Then a portal opened suddenly, and Hell took this oppurtunity to take Earth back.
And the massacre begins.

CreamCheese said:

The Icon of Sin can only spawn Demons correct? Then why does it spawn revenants.. because they are the Demonic form of Humans like all the other monsters are the demonic versions of their civilizations. The Pillars in E1M8 represent the civilizations that have been conquered..

revenants are reanimated demon carcass tho

Voros said:

So...

First the First Baron rose to construct Hell.
Slowly, smaller version appeared to manifest Hell, the Pinkies.
As well as more Barons taking control of Hell.
When the the need for flight occured due to unstable terrain, Cacodemons appeared. They also added protection.
Then the Barons started experimenting with DNA, and produced the Hellknight, strong enough to protect and serve Hell, but not enough to take on the Barons.
Then the Barons started more experiments on something smaller faster and agile. Thus came the Imp.
After that, the brains of Hell started to form naturally, and the Arachnotrons, with their transportation came.
The Barons put the spiders in charge of technology, with each upgrade and request must be confirmed by the Barons.
The spiders suggested the usage of cybernetics on a Baron, who is both strong and stable.
Through many procedures, the Cyberdemon was formed. But at a large cost.
The Barons were impressed but didn't like the huge amount of resources required to create just one.
The spiders produced a blueprint that showed a new advancement.
But Hell needed to be in business to do so. The beginning of mankind happened.
Souls came in, which were either punished in ugly ways or transformed into Lost Souls. Thus came those demon.
But casulties started coming in. Hell needed new demons to replace them. The Summoner come forth to aid Hell.
The spiders yet again made another blueprint for the usage on combining the Cacodemon,Hellknight. The Hellknight strength and Caco's eyesight produced a layered demon, named the Mancubus. Which got major cybernetics added to make these thing possible to control.
The original blueprint was a success beyond what both Barons and spiders thought.
The agility, power and determination of these abominations. They got the nickname of Revenant, souls back from the dead.
Then a portal opened suddenly, and Hell took this oppurtunity to take Earth back.
And the massacre begins.

The titans were the first