Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eLim

DOOM II NM-Speed in 24:09

After weeks of testing my mental health, I finally cracked the nut!
Unfortunately it's not sub24, but this demo shows that there is still a LOT of time that can be saved in NM-Speed.

There are a couple of deviations from ZM's strategies, but most of the time saving is through sheer recklessness or using UV-Speed strats with some tweaks to make them viable in NM-Speed.

And yes, I'm still awful at Map17.. stop reminding me.

Your turn now, Zero-Master!

Edit: YouTuber version

30nm2409.zip

I laughed out loud a little bit when you shot that homing Revenant missile at the end of Suburbs.

That strategy for opening the door at the end of Monster Condo is pretty awesome.

Good job!

What the fuck?! How is this trick even possible?

Like, I genuinely mean, how is it physically possible? There's no air control in Doom but you somehow move into the ledge anyway? Is this some side effect of wallrunning, even though you're not actually running and are instead flying through the air?!

Linguica said:

What the fuck?! How is this trick even possible?

http://i.imgur.com/UEqEN4f.gif

Like, I genuinely mean, how is it physically possible? There's no air control in Doom but you somehow move into the ledge anyway? Is this some side effect of wallrunning, even though you're not actually running and are instead flying through the air?!

When you wallrun east and the wall you wallrun along is south from the player, you need a bit momentum against the wall (like in every wallrun, I think). So normally when you crash to a wall, you get only one frame with wallrun because the frame you hit the wall, you also lose the momentum against the wall. So here, the player glides as close to the wall as possible, which makes the player not to lose his momentum against the wall (because of some bad hit detection? Only works walls south or west from the player).
Anyways, when you see the player going midair, he has high momentum against the wall, which makes him turn midair towards the exit door when the wall is not blocking his movement anymore.

You don't have to be as close to the wall as possible when you wallrun east and the wall is north from the player. I'm pretty sure it is because of the tiny side movement/momentum towards north being so tiny, that it won't get reseted to 0 even though the player should hit the wall.

Interesting to note the stylistic differences. Zeromaster's style is extremely smooth. The basic mechanics are conspicuously cruder in this demo, but it's enough to get the job done.

Very nice, when I first started thinking of sub 25 I thought it was going to be on the same level as plutonia nm, but when my very first practice attempt was 24:16 (not counting the times I died and using loads) I figured it wasn't even close to the same difficulty. So I also changed a lot of things in favor of consistency even though I didn't even need to, but the goal was sub 25 so I figured it would go faster.

Still surprised you manage to get such a good time, my biggest mistakes were map 16 glide and unlucky with manc on map 29, but a second here and a second there adds up really quickly.

I streamed for about 10-15 hours to get 24:36, so I'll have to put more effort into it next time. I'll go for sub 24, this time I will try to keep track of the exact time of my run as I go along so I can determine how aggressive I need to play. I'll have to study your run and make some changes too, so going to take a while before I get everything sorted out.

I have actually been doing some ultimate doom episode NM runs lately... just need to crack 1 more and I'll upload some of those before I get back to it :)

I'll watch the run a couple of times and I'll edit in some comments.

Anyways, well done, plutonia next? (UV of course :)

edit:
Exact same method I tried to use for the glide at one point for UV on map 02, I guess I'll look back into it for NM.
I was wondering if I was looking at my own demo when I saw map 13, such bullshit manc\elevator luck :D
Same for map 16, though at least the imps died!
I guess I was so obsessed with glides that I didn't even think about the old UV route for map 19, I honestly never thought about it at all, haha :D
That map 21 elevator, almost had you again!
Very nice map 24, I always lost so much time on that map, even when I practiced.
Map 26, one of the places I figured I wouldn't waste a run by doing the UV route even though it wasn't that big of a deal... though I had skipping the mega armor\soulsphere in mind, not the YK jump! (looking this up in xdre and changing the rng index you could have failed this!)
Surprised you used the setup for map 29, figured you were more comftorable doing it normally. edit again: very nice setup, I like this better!
You mentioned good spawns on map 30, so would an arachnotron normally be fine?

"Map15 I died well over 20 times on this map during my attempts in the last couple of weeks." holy shit! I think I only had that one unlucky moment I went for the jump to the cells where I got hit about 3 times mid air.
"Map29 I don't usually rocket the hell knight from the stairs at the start but I have lost runs to him in the last couple of weeks." Oh yeah, I had a strong feeling he would be able to do something during a single segment run so I just have to kill him too with rockets.

I might look into the RJ for map 22, I usually always have enough health and with the BFG barrels on 23 I don't need a lot for it, the RJ would reduce the chance of respawns making the jump to red door easier.

rdwpa said:

Zeromaster's style is extremely smooth. The basic mechanics are conspicuously cruder in this demo, but it's enough to get the job done.

Yeah it's something I get a lot of flack for. This is the main reason why it takes me considerably more attempts than most other people to get runs done. The great part about it, though, is over time you become much more aware of what you can and can't get away with! :D

ZeroMaster010 said:

Anyways, well done, plutonia next? (UV of course :)

Perdition's Gate, first! But yes, 30pl is on my radar because you've been slack about it! :P

ZeroMaster010 said:

I was wondering if I was looking at my own demo when I saw map 13, such bullshit manc\elevator luck :D

Yeah I was actually ready to reset the run on this map, hence why I just went for the blue keygrab even though the manc lived. Wasn't really sure why he didn't attack again straight away. Pretty unusual

ZeroMaster010 said:

I guess I was so obsessed with glides that I didn't even think about the old UV route for map 19

Looper gave me the idea for this, because I was complaining about how bad I am at glides in #doom hahaha. Still, I wasn't expecting to beat your time on that map!

ZeroMaster010 said:

That map 21 elevator, almost had you again!

Yeah you can see me kinda pause in a "did I get on it?" kinda way :D

ZeroMaster010 said:

Map 26, one of the places I figured I wouldn't waste a run by doing the UV route even though it wasn't that big of a deal... though I had skipping the mega armor\soulsphere in mind, not the YK jump! (looking this up in xdre and changing the rng index you could have failed this!)

I glanced at my plasma for this and panicked. I don't usually do the thingrun to the yellow key platform because I only had a ~60% success rate in practice with it. Taking 2 lots of double manc fireballs is just so much damage.

ZeroMaster010 said:

You mentioned good spawns on map 30, so would an arachnotron normally be fine?

An arachnotron is fine on the bottom platform. I missed the 1cycle because I didn't adjust my position when I heard it firing, which messed up my timing to get two rockets into the brain on the way up <_<

Thanks for the kind comments!