Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sleepii

Anyone else hate these exclusive doom pre-order packs?

I'd genuinely have paid 150 for ONE collectors ed which included everything that's been shown:

-Doom and doom 2
-reve figure
-art book
-metal box or whatever
-multi-player demon pack
-uac edition crap
-things included in any other EXCLUSIVE pre-order edition that's yet to announced.

But I hate how in order to get all of these things you need buy 10 different copies of the game. If anyone here played watchdogs this was a similar case with their CE.

I agree this is asinine. I've already spent $120 for the collector's edition with the statue, and for the 100% markup that thing better be nice. I guess you get the metal game case too - I've got one for Black Ops III and they're pretty nice and very sturdy too. As long as the other CE items are available stand alone after the fact it'll be okay, but otherwise forcing collectors to buy a whole extra copy of the game to artificially boost sales numbers is bullshit.

Granted preordering is bullshit it general. Between that and required internet connections allowing for [multi-GB] Day One Patches it's no wonder most games are released buggy, broke or incomplete. "Hey, we've got the money already, fuck 'em!" (That combined with every 13 year old spending daddy's money because they just have to have the latest and greatest insures nobody cares about quality and voting with your wallet is sadly a dying concept. Gotta move those numbers, everything else is fuck all.)

That being said, my time with the alpha was fun and the game looks good so I was probably gonna buy it, CE or not. It is, however, the only game I'm interested in this year and the last game I'm ever preordering. Sure, I'll still buy games - after they're released and I've read some reviews or rented it. (Sadly brick and mortar rental stores are becoming scarce or non-existant for some.)

yep, no matter how wild and outlandish it may seem to some people that we feel this way, it is pretty gay of bethesda to be so, well, gay.

its like horse armor all over again.

rampancy said:

yep, no matter how wild and outlandish it may seem to some people that we feel this way, it is pretty gay of bethesda to be so, well, gay.

its like horse armor all over again.

Blatant money-grabs are always distasteful and Bethesda does have a long, sordid history of them.

What's also distasteful is using "gay" as a pejorative term. Please stop doing this, if only for the courtesy of other forum members - thanks.

Its never really bothered me personally, but only because most of the games that I've bought didn't have this multi location pre-order garbage. Also the very few games that I bought that did have this location determined pre-order bonus I was lucky enough to get the best pre-order option due to the console that i played on but yeah its just another way to make more money.

While I'm not defending having different versions with exclusive content, you have to actually break down what everything is.
Luckily, the only thing game content-wise isn't locked to any specific edition, only that you pre order any version of the game for any platform, and there's a 99% chance that Demon pack will be sold as DLC around a month after launch anyway.
Everything else is just physical tat that will be sold cheaply on Ebay individually.
Otherwise, what's really being separated here? The revenant and steelbook are in collector's edition.
A handbook, poster, and patch are in another edition that as far as I can tell, isn't available in the U.S. anyways.
The Doom and Doom 2 for Xbox thing just gives you the XBLA versions, they aren't updated or anything, just back compatible for Xbox One.

So overall, you have only two editions, one of which isn't available in all regions. Not really the hyperbolic '10 different copies'.

I do not mind them too. If there were some exclusive game content that look like cut from standard version I would hate it. All those collector connectable items I do not mind.

Yah I live in Canada, and the CE cost $200. (after taxes)
how do you guys think I feel? I'm a huge huge Doom fan and wanted nothing more than to rock that statue, which is why I forked over the cash; but it hurt me.
For the amount of money they should have given us Canadians something more.

Champskiez103 said:

Yah I live in Canada, and the CE cost $200. (after taxes)
how do you guys think I feel? I'm a huge huge Doom fan and wanted nothing more than to rock that statue, which is why I forked over the cash; but it hurt me.
For the amount of money they should have given us Canadians something more.

Its especially difficult for us Canadians, cause weve only got the two options (in retail anyways). The standard or collectors editions. I love the revenant statue, but Im not gonna fork over 200 bucks for it. Not while people over seas get the UAC pack. The hell is that !? They get this cool compromise between a standard and CE while we dont ? Revenant goes AHHHHHH !

It kind of sucks that the US doesn't even get the UAC Edition guidebook, in any form.
That shit would be so cool, especially considering the fact that games don't get manuals anymore.

I caved and bought the CE Edition pre-order anyways, and I've picked up the limited edition artbook as well.
Hopefully that'll be enough.