Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xerge

Gloves or full Body armor?

Would you rather Doom guy had gloves? I was expecting that, the full body armour caught me by surprise.

I know Doom has never made a whole lot of sense, but there's no point in gloves. This is 2016. There's a certain kind of neo-futurism that is present in today's sci-fi and we really shouldn't go back to the old model of gloves hands or even gloveless hairy arms with a spiked ring. The full body armor looks good.

I was thinking that a full body armour makes more sense if you are going to fight against a horde of demons.

It literally doesn't matter.

Not only is it a tiny aesthetic detail, but it's one you can't change anyway so what's the point in trying to start an argument about it?

I think Buckshot made a thread like this a while back. It would have been awesome to play a barebones Doomguy so badass he only needs minimal armor and gloves to kick demon ass. Like the original. It would also distinguish him from looking like a Master Chief ripoff (he obviously isn't, but some new gamers won't know that.)

Then again, I'm not sure it would have worked. A lot of the things Doomguy does in Doom 2016 (double jumping etc) need to be explained through a bio suit. So it was necessary I suppose. It's a cool looking suit at least.

Who cares what he wears? I'm still gonna play it anyway, whether or not he looks like Master Chief.

Besides, Doom3Guy didn't wear gloves either.

HavoX said:

Who cares what he wears? I'm still gonna play it anyway, whether or not he looks like Master Chief.

Besides, Doom3Guy didn't wear gloves either.

Damn, maybe you are right. I just remembered what Duke said about Master Chief's power armor.

Not that anything in Doom has to be realistic, but the average martian temperature is about -55C/-67F. Plus Mars is composed of about 0.146% oxygen, so it might be a good idea to have a suit... just saying. Especially an armored one.

daltontca said:

Not that anything in Doom has to be realistic, but the average martian temperature is about -55C/-67F. Plus Mars is composed of about 0.146% oxygen, so it might be a good idea to have a suit... just saying. Especially an armored one.

daltontca said:

Well they terraformed Phobos and Deimos. So they probably terraformed Mars before.

Tuaam said:

Well they terraformed Phobos and Deimos. So they probably terraformed Mars before.

Are you referring to the original Doom ?
From what I can gather, this new Doom has no mention of either Phobos or Deimos. In fact, the campaign trailer seems to suggest that Mars is still uninhabitable (unprotected anyways).

I REALLY love Doomguys new helmet its so good! And I personally like the armor. Gloves wouldn't make much sense since it takes place in the future where technology is so advanced that it's capable of sustaining bases on mars. So I wasn't surprised at all when I saw the final outcome of Doomguy's full body armor.

just as a side question somewhat relevant to the thread

didnt either goatlord or CB mention back then in 2015 when the game was first showcased that doomguy was sleeveless/gloves only??

Seriously though, the developers are doing great so far, IMO they should stop listening to the Complains of those crying babies and keep doing what they're good at, the new Doom can still survive those people's complains :

* "Oh no, the enemies look like pinatas now ."
* "Full body armor sucks ."
* "Enemies colors suck ."

I Mean come on, even the greatest games need to change to stay as great, You can't just turn it to a Classic Doom carbon copy, you can play one of thousands of Classic Doom HD Remakes on internet instead , Although i agree it should keep some of what made Doom successful for years (Non-linear levels, Fast movement, Seeking keys .. etc) .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Seriously though, the developers are doing great so far

No, but I think the body armor is a good addition.

DooM_RO said:

Going as a SPACE Marine without some kind of spacesuit on the surface Mars is just retarded.

Exactly .

As far as I remember in Doom3 related novel author write that UAC base pollution change Mars atmosphere and now it have bit more oxygen, also people who work there take some medicine to adjust their lungs to low oxygen so people could from time to time do those short runs from one airlock to other one without helmet, while people who are assigned to work outside must wear full body suits and helmets.

Maybe in new Doom Mars atmosphere were already altered so there will be no need for oxygen tanks on surface.

As for DoomGuy armor I would love to see some kind of model customization, maybe not as complicated as Mass Effect face generator, but something like in Brink could be cool, or even simple model select like in first Unreal. Doomguy never speak because he should be player vessel so why not give players ability to alter his look like in Halo multiplayer?

DooM_RO said:

Going as a SPACE Marine without some kind of spacesuit on the surface Mars is just retarded.

This, even though I'm a fan of the old bare-armed, gloved look, I've grown accustomed to the new, full body armour look, and it just feels a lot more believable.

Maybe if they do make that Quake reboot thingie that some rumour threatened, they could save the exposed arms look for that.

Gzegzolka said:

As far as I remember in Doom3 related novel author write that UAC base pollution change Mars atmosphere and now it have bit more oxygen, also people who work there take some medicine to adjust their lungs to low oxygen so people could from time to time do those short runs from one airlock to other one without helmet, while people who are assigned to work outside must wear full body suits and helmets.

Maybe in new Doom Mars atmosphere were already altered so there will be no need for oxygen tanks on surface.

I'm not sure how pollution would make the surface of mars more habitable lol... but I suppose the author had to have some sort of explanation for how things worked in the game. As for the new Doom, the screenshots and campaign trailer seem to suggest that its still very "unterraformed".

Im not saying the original doomguys aesthetic doesnt work (it sure did 20 years ago and influenced many "spacemarine" looks still to this day), but like everything else in Doom, it needed modernizing. These are just my 2cents though.

dsm said:

This, even though I'm a fan of the old bare-armed, gloved look, I've grown accustomed to the new, full body armour look, and it just feels a lot more believable.

Maybe if they do make that Quake reboot thingie that some rumour threatened, they could save the exposed arms look for that.

Man, if they rebooted Quake, it would make total sense to have exposed arms. Especially since Quake focused more on inter-dimensional travel and magic than science fiction. Its just weird how divided Quake got. Started off with the whole H.P. Lovecraf vibe, then just went facefirst into Sci-Fi with the Strogg :/

To be honest, I have liked the full arms look since the E3 reveal. Also, I base this on the fact it a) makes sense in a protection side, but also b) from a 'standardisation' of the marine core.

With a), I guess the marine forces of DOOM 4 get called into some pretty nasty places, where bare arms wold be a massive combat disadvantage, such as hostile environments or N.B.C. threats. It is entirely believable that these suits would be the standard issue of the future.
And on b), guess the the suit can compensate for certain physical weaknesses, because let's face it, not everyone in the marine corps can run like hell, be strong like hell or the endurance of a horse. If the suits give all marines the same type of abilities, then commanders know what to expect of ALL troops, with the exception of morale, bottle and psych.

I like the idea of full body armor - slash - enhanced power suit. Explains how DOOM marine is able to rip 'n tear these demons with exceptional ease.

With that being said, it'd be pretty cool if they added a DLC skin more akin to the original protagonist. For free, obvi.