Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I tried to play Bloodstain and Valiant after hearing good things about it but couldn't do it because those evil marines enemies were always kicking my ass I could understanf if there were few of them here and there like in Scythe 2 but they just come out of the blue when I'm fighting other monsters and fry me with plasma rifles.

I've never beaten Plutonia Map 11: Hunted. I'm ashamed, because I really like Plutonia. And I want to say I've beaten it without skipping. But that level man... that level right there. So frustrating. HOW DO THE DOORS WORK? WHY DO THEY SOMETIMES OPEN AND SOMETIMES DON'T? You have no idea how close I've been to breaking my mouse on that level. My mouse fears that level. It is a noisy experience.

MegaSphere said:

I tried to play Bloodstain and Valiant after hearing good things about it but couldn't do it because those evil marines enemies were always kicking my ass I could understanf if there were few of them here and there like in Scythe 2 but they just come out of the blue when I'm fighting other monsters and fry me with plasma rifles.

But... There are no evil plasma marines in either Bloodstain or Valiant!

RUSH said:

I've never beaten Plutonia Map 11: Hunted. I'm ashamed, because I really like Plutonia. And I want to say I've beaten it without skipping. But that level man... that level right there. So frustrating. HOW DO THE DOORS WORK? WHY DO THEY SOMETIMES OPEN AND SOMETIMES DON'T? You have no idea how close I've been to breaking my mouse on that level. My mouse fears that level. It is a noisy experience.

The doors work based on trip-wires. You can see them on the automap IIRC.

That's a Brutal Doom specific monster. Valiant and Bloodstain have their own WolfensteinSS replacements (Chaingunner and ZSec, respectively), but Brutal Doom apparently replaces them with these marines.

scifista42 said:

That's a Brutal Doom specific monster. Valiant and Bloodstain have their own WolfensteinSS replacements (Chaingunner and ZSec, respectively), but Brutal Doom apparently replaces them with these marines.

Oh I thought it's some new trend to ramp up the challenge. Can he be disabled? I have vanilla monsters option turned on but he still shows up.

Jaxxoon R said:

A Twitch streamer by the name of BZPlasma had some folks and I create a version that strips out the new nazis and op crack marines. He also requested that the BFG be rebuffed after it was nerfed to near uselessness in v20. You can get it here, if you wish: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/brutalv20b.pk3

Thank's a lot. Why was BFG nerfed in the first place?

plums said:

ZDoom totally supports tracker music. What format is UT's music in?

Impulse Tracker (.it) mostly, with some .s3m musics.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
BluePineapple72 said:

I sometimes walk like some of the doom enemies in school :/

Don't

I will take this opportunity to confess my sins.
I apologise for the following blasphemy.

1: Final D00M on the Sony Playstation was my first experience with D00M.
I did not complete the game.

2: Years later, I played D00M on PC.

3: I also tried D00M 2 on PC.

4: I purhcased D00M 2 on the Xbox Live Arcade.

I play everything with free look and a crosshair and will Chaingun / Rocket snipe every enemy that I see before moving on with the map. I never play pistol start unless the author strictly states that the maps are tightly balanced around it, i.e. Sunlust/Valiant. Otherwise continuous play is simply more fun in megawads. I always quicksave before fighting a Cyberdemon because I go for the 2-shot BFG combo and eat a 4th rocket around half the time.

MegaSphere said:

When I pick up Berserk I like to pretend I'm Chris Brown and the monsters are Rhianna.

Domestic violence is never a laughing matter.

plums said:

UT = Unreal Tournament.

Edit: I literally just found an archive of UT music rips, changed the filename of one to D_RUNNIN.it, and dragged it onto ZDoom and it worked. Either the files were somehow converted when ripped, you're using a really old ZDoom version, or it's some Linux thing.

.umx is it. But, you have to convert it. I am making a project with .mod and .it music.

I personally think that, for the most part, Doom 2's level design is inferior to Doom and very inconsistent. I remember making a list of the Doom 2 maps I actually liked...all of them were by John Romero save for one, The Waste Tunnels. I think the primary issue was the lack of cohesive theme, like we see in the episodes of Doom.

Not to mention that the aesthetics of Romero's maps is generally of a higher caliber than Sandy and American's. I think he had a better sense of atmosphere and setting than anyone else on the design team. The Abandoned Mines is probably my single favorite map from Doom 2. It's fantastic.

Perhaps that's not such a strange opinion to have that it would warrant a confession, but how about this confession:

As a kid, when I first played Shareware, I had no idea you could run, how to strafe, or save a game. I'm not sure why I didn't bother reading the Readme screen, but I was a bit lazy, I suppose. Needless to say, I found Knee-Deep in The Dead hard as fuck.

Phobos Anomaly said:

As a kid, when I first played Shareware, I had no idea you could run, how to strafe, or save a game. I'm not sure why I didn't bother reading the Readme screen, but I was a bit lazy, I suppose. Needless to say, I found Knee-Deep in The Dead hard as fuck.

Really? I'm germaphobic, so if I'm on, say, a school computer, I'll try keep one hand (typically my right, as it's my dominant hand) in such a condition as I consider clean enough to go into my pocket and use my pen, if need be. As such, this mind set has resulted in me playing a lot of games one-handed in my spare class time, and next to F-Zero X (With some modified Project 64 controls and loss of analog up/down), I can play Doom rather well one-handed. And while I DO play ZDoom, as far as one handed goes, my controls are the same as Vanilla (I use WASD to move/strafe when I play two-handed)

RobbingSnake said:

I didn't sprint until E3M6.

E3M1 must've been a hell of a time for you, huh? (Unless you played on GBA)

Phobos Anomaly said:

So is Containment Area your definition of Hell? lol

If that's the map I think it is, that map is WHY I'm afraid of said sectors. I was going to bring that up, but, yeah, I will do everything I can to stay off of those sectors. Even if I end up on it long enough to know it isn't damaging, I'll still stay off of it.

EDIT: No, not Containment Area...
I think it was Spawning Vats... Had at least two long hallways with SHAWN2 on the walls, and silver floors. In the middle of the hallways was a recessed sector going down it with FLAT22 and a damaging floor type

Phobos Anomaly said:

I personally think that, for the most part, Doom 2's level design is inferior to Doom and very inconsistent. I remember making a list of the Doom 2 maps I actually liked...all of them were by John Romero save for one, The Waste Tunnels. I think the primary issue was the lack of cohesive theme, like we see in the episodes of Doom.

I greatly prefer Doom 1 (except episode 4) but I think the primary issue is that Doom 1 knows you can't look up and down. The designers of Doom 2 maps (and episode 4) often seem to have forgotten that.

I agree that theme's also an issue - the straight-up joke maps like Tricks and Traps and the stack of city-themed ones in the middle which feel like "ugh, what, we have 32 of these to write?" don't help at all.

Re one-handed, easy enough for a keyboarder, especially on a source port with always-run. I already use the Home/End block as move/turn/strafe; the little finger holds down run on the numpad if not on a suitable source port, and the thumb does Fire and opens doors. I routinely played two-handed but did this to show off. :-/

damerell said:

Re one-handed, easy enough for a keyboarder, especially on a source port with always-run. I already use the Home/End block as move/turn/strafe; the little finger holds down run on the numpad if not on a suitable source port, and the thumb does Fire and opens doors. I routinely played two-handed but did this to show off. :-/

Yeah, Always run does help, but aside from that, it's Vanilla. I actually have to stop moving to open doors, which isn't too much of a bother, really.

To LanHikariDS: I actually thought it was Spawning Vats at first, too, and my unedited comment reflected that fact, but I looked it up, and it's actually Containment Area. Spawning Vats has a similar looking area but I don't think the sector is damaging.

Phobos Anomaly said:

To LanHikariDS: I actually thought it was Spawning Vats at first, too, and my unedited comment reflected that fact, but I looked it up, and it's actually Containment Area. Spawning Vats has a similar looking area but I don't think the sector is damaging.

I just jumped around, and it is Spawning Vats. This is the area that caused my fear https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/12814340_933046446793790_374322986994082350_n.png.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=c93fc5f95ec192d2a9afb424b8e22b9d&oe=57565DBF